Top 10 Posters

Sewing machine quandry...

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 84 Replies | 14 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
33 Posts
Points 415
Tanya posted on Sat, Dec 17 2011 8:28 AM

I recently had both of my singer sewing machines die on me...I love to quilt and play with the fabric. Now all i can do is look at the fabric. I have been searching for a new machine but have no clue what I should go for. I want something easy to use, multiple stitches, lettering and can easily handle multiple layers. Both of the machines that just died are Singers. the one the motor just quit, the other i was told had gears shear off and it would be cheaper to replace than to fix.

I need people to give real opinions on singer, brother, janome, juki, baby lock and any other machines. I am going stir crazy with out a machine!

HELP!!!

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
371 Posts
Points 6,725

Thanks for the picture of the Singer 160, I went to the website but still no information about the machine.

Andrea

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,080 Posts
Points 251,824
Barbara replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 12:20 PM

Mary ,I have started looking at embrodery machines to , I have no idea what i'm looking ofr ,I just need one thath does more then My janome. I have checked out acouple  and i really like the one I saw at Joannas I may just have to go back and get it . it was a singer invo or something like that I can't remember the full name . but I liked it ,,Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
78 Posts
Points 1,100

I have been looking at the newer machines for about two years. There are a lot of great machines but I kept coming back to the my use of the machine. I love the embroidery machines but for me I couldn't justify the price. I wanted an easy to use machine with as many stitches I could get. I went to our local sewing machine shop where I can get service and I could sit and try out all the machines they had. For the price I love my new Brother Innovis NX-450Q. It has the sewing features I was looking for quilting and decorative stitches. I didn't think I would use the embroidery features so I went with the quilting machine. I played with the Brother, Baby Lock and Janome machines but I kept coming back to the Brother. Time will tell but so far I love my new machine. Good luck in your search.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,618

Barbara - have you looked at the Janome "E" machines.  I have a Memory Craft 350E.  All it does is embroider.  So many of the other machines I looked at were sewing machines with embroidering capabilites which makes them more expensive.  I didn't need another machine that sewed since I have the 6600P and wasn't planning to get rid of it.  With the 350E, I can let it do it's thing while I sew on the 6600P.  (Not that I have done that much embroidering yet.  :o{ )    

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
3,771 Posts
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 2:54 PM

I have two Bernina's an older one 930 and the newer one 440QE.  One thing I can say about the Bernina I don't have problems with them. They just sew and sew. I take them for service and that's it. I have had my 930 Bernina for over 25 years and that baby still sews like a dream. I love my 440 QE also which I 've had for about 2 or so years now.

I would even look into buying a used machine and get a higher quality machine rather than buy a lesser quality one. Nothing is more frustrating than having a machine in the shop. IMHO

Good luck

Top 25 Contributor
3,771 Posts
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 3:06 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention when I was growing up and learning to sew in Home Ec (I am aging myself) LOL. We had Singer Sewing machines. So I thought those must be the cat's whiskers. I wanted one so bad and talked my mom into buying me one. She did- the top of the line- Golden Touch and Sew Singer. While the machine was ok. The  drop in push button bobbin was a royal pain and I had many problems with it. I also a lot of problems with the machine, the decorative stitches didn't work right. Many things in the machine were off. Tension, stitching were never that great.

Years later, I researched and discovered Bernina machines and bought my 930- I was only about 27 years old then. The cost for the machine only then was $1000. I thought I would die. That machine was the best thing I had ever sewn on, and I finally realized what a real sewing machine was like, I never knew before.

Its funny to know to realize that I learned to quilt on my Bernina 930 and I still have it.  I would never sell it. We have history, that 930 and I .

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,330 Posts
Points 27,245

I have had two Bernina's and old 830 I bought in 1976 and An Artista 730 I bought in 2003.  I gave the 830 to my sister and it is still going strong.  I love my Artista they both sew so well and need little maintenence.  I do take them in once a year as instructed and never have any trouble.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,715
Nana replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 4:07 PM

Quilt Daddy

I had one of the Singer Futura.  Had nothing but problems with that machine. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,080 Posts
Points 251,824

Marge ,I don't know for sure .I looked at several new ones on ebay and marked them I know one was a janome but I can't remember know which one . I know it was a good price and very affordable . I'll have to go back and check which one it was . I love my janome and I would think they would also be a good machine.I did stop by the shop yesterday were I purchased my machine ,but they only had one that was under 1k and I didn't like it at all. I'm not going to be in a big hurry i want to look around. thanks for the information on this one .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,080 Posts
Points 251,824

Nana, what kind o problems did You havewith it ,I'm just curious,since i'm looking.there does seem to be alot of them on ebay..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 10

I bought my first machine in 1969...a KeNMORE....because that's what my Mom had always had (hers was made in 1949 and it always worked perfectly!  In 1999, my old KeNMORE finally gave out, and I bought a Bernina 150QE.  Loved it!  However, the embroidery part wasn't available for this model, so I planned to trade up wiithin a year.  My hubby decided he would rather keep it for his own use, rather than sell it, and we still have it.  I use it almost every single day for piecing, mending, and almost everything else, except embroidery.  I did get a Bernina 180e a year later, and I also use it a lot, even though it is no longer the top of the line, and doesn't have the stitch regulator on it.  I use it with the cut work tool a lot,and it gets used almost every day, too.

I have had a Janome (also a great machine) and have Babylock servers (the BEST, in my opinion, for servers).  I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of those brands of machines.  I think the issues are really only two: what will you use it for?  And how much can you afford?  The first one can only be answered by you, and the best way to find out which machine will be the one that will win your heart...is to go to the stores that sell them and get a demo on the different models anda see for yourself which machine is the most perfect match for your needs.  If you are interested in embroidery, many models can be purchased without the emb feature, and added later, so don't overlook that possibility.  If you buy new, most major manufacturers run great financing and sales throughout the year.  I bought my 150on a special financing offer, and was offered full purchase price trade-in within one year.  Most offer values like this on. New machines, and sales area a great time to buy on a pmt plan.  I currently have a Babylock serger that I will be paying off in April, and I fully intend to trade it in for a higher model at that time.  My current financing plan is zero interest for 18 months.  If I can get that same financing again, I can pay off the top of the line machine via trade-up and take 36months to do so.  So watch for the financing opportunities!

I believe Singer ws sold sometime in the 60's, and the quality of their machines got really bad.   They have been at the bottom of the list of quality made machines for many years now, although I've heard that they have been improving some.  Do your research online and listen to what others have and like.  Go in and listen to the sales people and watch demos.  Try each machine out for yourself in the store.  Make your decision carefully, and you'll end up with a machine that you'll love for the rest of your life.  I will never turn loose of my Bernina sewing machines or my Babylock servers.  They are reliable and don't make me swear-- EVER!  ;

Good luck in your search for your new best friend!

• Filed under:
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 10

I see that my references to my servers was "intelligently" replaced with the word servers each time I wrote it.  I was talking about SERGERS.  sorry I didn't catch it before it got posted.

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,455

mars92:
I have had my 930 Bernina for over 25 years and that baby still sews like a dream.

Marlene, I have the 930, too.  I bought mine in '84.  I love that machine!!  It has thousands of hours of use and still sews like new. I'll never part with it. I've heard it is still highly sought after.  Take a look on e-bay.... I saw one with a price of $1600!

We must be around the same age.  I sewed on Singers in Home Ec.  I also bought a Singer in the late 70's and hated it.  Then bought a White which wasn't any better.  Traded that one in for my Bernina and felt like I'd died and gone to sewing heaven!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,080 Posts
Points 251,824

Well I got my machine ,thanks for all the advice. I purchased a Husqvarna Topaz. It was little more money then I wanted to spend  but I got a really good deal on it . this machine had been order by an lady at the shop that sells this brand last year , and never came and picked it up They kept in boxed up and saved it for the entire year and had just put in on display, this was a 4500.00 dollar machine and they sold it to me for 1800. new, never been used. comes with a 20 year warranty  and all the bells and whistles for an embroidery machine . I'm very pleased with it . I think I Take a  class for it after the new year . I was told her class Ari done  One on one .. When I get it set up I will post a picture, Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 50
Page 2 of 6 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use