free motion quilting

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55
olyjlm@hotmail.com posted on Wed, Dec 7 2011 8:00 PM

Hi,

I am trying to machine quilt a Christmas present, and I need some help. For some reason (yes, probably some error on my part) the bobbin thread is pulling through on sharp curves. While it is kind of an interesting effect, does anyone know how to fix that? I have adjusted the thread tension, but I am still seeing the bobbin thread on the curves. Any suggestions?

Jane

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

Gini is right on...you are going around the curve faster than the straight aways.  I had this problem a lot when I first started FMQ'g.  You need to keep the pace consistent, so slow down on the curves.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 40
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

I agree with Vivian, it is called Eyelashing. Your bobbin thread is pulling to the surface so loosen your top tension just a tad and ease up on the gas, LOL!

Judylee

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,358 Posts
Points 414,959
gini replied on Wed, Dec 7 2011 8:03 PM

you may be pulling a little on the fabric as you go around the curve, try going a little slower

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

Gini is right on...you are going around the curve faster than the straight aways.  I had this problem a lot when I first started FMQ'g.  You need to keep the pace consistent, so slow down on the curves.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 40
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

Its called eyelashing and yes, speed is the issue. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

I agree with Vivian, it is called Eyelashing. Your bobbin thread is pulling to the surface so loosen your top tension just a tad and ease up on the gas, LOL!

Judylee

• | Post Points: 25
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55
Suggested by Flojo

Thank you to everyone who answered my question. Eyelashing is a perfect description! I will slow down around the curves and keep even tension. This alone made my membership worthwhile. Thanks again!

Jane

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,358 Posts
Points 414,959
gini replied on Thu, Dec 8 2011 10:12 PM

we were so intent on answering your question, we forgot to welcome you to the group.   so welcome.  i hope you visit with us often.  

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

Oh, my, Ditto, ask lots of questions, we learn as well.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use