Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,739
gini Posted: Mon, Dec 5 2011 8:13 PM

Help,   I'm trying to quilt and the thread keeps balling up and shredding above my needle.   i'm getting so frustrated with this whole quilting the quilt stuff.  every time i sit down to quilt. some new irritation pops up.

I've changed the needle twice,  is it a tension problem?   it stitches fine for anywhere from a few inches to a few feet. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 8:25 PM

Gini

I have had that happen if my thread is old.   Also ...  Are you quilting thru any type of adhesive?  Some of my threads didn't like certain adhesives and would shred.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 25,270

Are you on a longarm?  I was having that problem with my Jewel.  They told me to oil the hook assembly and it worked like a charm.  I was not oiling it enough. 

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,585
Flojo replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 9:09 PM

I know you have checked but just in case, is your needle in exactly right, like all the way up in it's slot and facing exactly the right direction?  Sometimes I get mine off just the tiniest bit and there goes the thread.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,739
gini replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 9:10 PM

i have a DM,   i got the thread not too long ago, but who knows how old it is.   i got it from a pretty busy quilt shop.   i now have jeans needle in, switched to my hopping foot, loosened the tension, put it on an upright spool and i go a little further than before.   i might have to get a new machine, isn't christmas coming up?    wasn't there something about putting your thread in the freezer to rehydrate it,   i might have to switch projects, and take the thread home tonight, and try  freezing  the who-who's off the stinker and beat it into submission.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,739
gini replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 9:11 PM

yes, flo, i'm pretty sure i do, but i will recheck it just in case.   i'm on needle #4.   i may have gotten them all in wrong.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 9:12 PM

Gini

You might also try cleaning any lint out of the bobbin race.  Sometimes that will make thread shred.   And yep the freezer is supposed to help rehydrate thread.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,739
gini replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 9:13 PM

i did spray baste, but i baste really lightly.   i'm using YLI, maybe it doesn't like my machine.   i've had trouble with the brand before, but i like the colors so much.   grumble, gripe and complain.   thanks for all the advice ladies, i think i will call it a night for quilting and find another project.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,739
gini replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 9:14 PM

i clean the bobbin case out  with every bobbin change. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 9:14 PM

Gini

I don't have any luck with YLI threads on my machine.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 25,270

What type of thread.  You may need to go up to a #90 needle.  I have found the balling up on a DM is because the needle hole is to small  Gor example on the King Tut I always use a 90 but Aurifil 50 weight I can use a 75 or 80.  My DM is a Bernina Artista, but the same goes on my older singer.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,739
gini replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 9:20 PM

Nana:

I don't have any luck with YLI threads on my machine.

yep, that might be it.   i'm stuck now, i've managed to get about a third the way through.   i'll tough it out and only use the YLI for piecing from now on.  spendy piecing thread.  isn't that funny that it doesn't do that when i'm piecing or with all the thread painting i've been doing.    maybe it just doesn't like going through multiple layers.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,739
gini replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 9:21 PM

that doesn't make sense, though.   i'm going through several layers of tear away stabilizer, it should shred in that too.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,739
gini replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 11:30 PM

it must be the thread.   i switched machines and this one is doing the same thing.   only not as often.   since i had the middle nearly quilted, i can start in the center work my way to the edge and by the time i get to the edge, there's a ball of thread . i cut it out, rethread and merrily go on my way.   this is nutso.   two bobbins later i am more than half through.  i'm circling it and may have it done tonight.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,662
Points 136,157

I always have that problem when I use the spray adhesive

[Ava, Missouri

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2018 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.