My Dream Quilt Project(s)

Page 1 of 5 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 71 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd Posted: Sun, Dec 4 2011 2:16 PM

Ok, I know everyone is emotional about their quilts, or we wouldn't love doing them, right?  And I know everyone has someone, or something, special in mind for each and every quilt, and each and every quilt has heart and soul poured into it.  However, I thought maybe we could have this thread just for the purpose of posting our "big dream" or several, if you have them, of what you would WANT to do, and maybe mostly it is just a dream.  Maybe it will inspire us to get that dream off the project board and brought to life. 

My Quilt Dream Projects are:

I would love to make a BUNCH of Christmas/winter/holiday quilts (Halloween and Hanukkah included, even), with all my special people in mind (from relatives to friends), and then - at Christmas TIME, even if it isn't a Christmas QUILT - tell everyone that I will have a drawing for these quilts (appropriately chosen, of course, in case someone doesn't celebrate Christmas or Halloween).  Anyway, show everyone pics, and then somehow have a lottery, and that is how the quilts would be distributed......  I think that would be so much fun!

I also would like to (Get permission first, though) take the pictures that are on EACH COVER of the ORIGINAL "Lord of the Rings" books, and make a quilt from each.  For those of you who don't know, the first editions of the books each had a different free-hand artwork that, when placed side by side, was one giant picture.  It was a poster that was so popular in the 70s, and I had that poster on my dorm room wall.  It ripped as I took it down when I graduated, and I threw it away. Do you have any idea how much that collector's item is today?  Anyway, I would love to do them up and put them in a show.  It would mostly be a quilted applique project, and I really need permission from Houghten Mifflen publishing, first.... 

Any dreams out there?  Anyone want to do a quilt for each child at St. Jude's or something?  Let's share!  and remember:  DREAM BIG.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,502
Points 41,585
Mimi replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 2:37 PM

Wow, you sure have some fabulous dreams.  I remember that poster.  It would be a wonderful set of quilts.

My dream is to get my church to help piece and quilt many baby quilts for our mission of Alpha Pregnancy Center in Philadelphia.  It helps all women in need.  A lot smaller than yours but still a dream.

Secondly I would like to pay off the mortgage so I can retire.  Does that count as a dream?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 2:56 PM

Hi, Mimi!

Of COURSE that counts as a dream, you just have to have a quilty thingie in there somehow.  Like, you make a quilt for a lottery drawing, and it makes so much money that you can pay off your house,,,, and my dream added to that one, is that it would be enough to pay off my house, too!  See how it works?  :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 215
Points 5,485
Renee replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 2:56 PM

Mimi, yes paying of your mortgage and retiring counts as a dream in my book.  LOL

What church do you belong to?

Does the church have a structured program for making the baby quilts or do the members make a quilt and then you drop them off on a montly basis?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 3:04 PM

Ok, Renee - what is YOUR Quilty Big Dream..... you know you just gotta share with us!  :D

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,674
Points 63,985
Jacy replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 3:04 PM

My dream is to make a quilt for our bed for every month of the year. I guess one for each season would be a more reasonably goal. I never do it though because I'm forever sidetracked by other quilting projects, and it takes a lot of fabric for king-sized quilts!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 215
Points 5,485
Renee replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 3:51 PM

My Quilty dream project is to do a memory quilt for my BFF, My Aunt and Uncle and one for me.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 4:28 PM

A memory quilt is one of my dreams too!  I would have made it for my mother, but sadly she passed away 7 years ago, even before I started quilting.  All of my aunts and uncles have passed on too.  I might try one, one of these days, for my own children, using all of their pictures from babyhood on to adult life and that of their children too.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,502
Points 41,585
Mimi replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 4:50 PM

Renee - I want to start this ministry.  We haven't started it yet and since I haven't retired I don't yet have the time to devote to it. I guess my two dreams are really tied together after all.   I belong to an Evangelical Presbyterian Church.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 5:18 PM

My dream project would be to do a grandmother's flower garden and a cathedral window all by hand.   But since I don't do handwork very often those are probably just pipe dreams....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,754
Points 420,104
gini replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 5:27 PM

to finish all the ufo's that i am really going to love once they're done.   i should be, oh, about 230 when they're finished.  that's if i don't start any new ones.  

dear jane.    a large mariners compass.      whole cloth quilt.   making art quilts with confidence.  another log cabin with 1/2 inch logs  (i gave the one i made away and have regretted it ever since.   i loved that quilt.   the woman i gave it to treasures it and hangs it on the wall,  that helps mitigate the regret a wee bit) 

geez, i could probably come up with  a hundred things i really, really want to do.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 649
Points 12,665

My Quilt Dream would be to run out of fabric...cause that would mean all my quilts that I want to do would be complete and I would still be alive to give them all away..lol

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

I would like to have a sizable room for my stash, sewing machine, etc., along with space for a longarm (and a longarm, not just space for it!).  The room would have a door which I could actually close to keep out cats and children.  Also, it would have a TV in it so I can have the baseball or football game going while I am sewing.  A nice comfy chair with a side table for when I am hand-sewing binding.  And a design wall.  And nice windows so I can have adequate light. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 7:16 PM

That would be a dream for me, too.  I have a midarm with the large 10-foot frame, and a window, only problem is there isn't any room for anything else!  So my wish is for a bigger room....

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

My quilty dream projects would be doing a memory quilt with photo's from my wedding as I really have no wedding album, of course I would if I would just get to the scrapbooking, lol.  I also want to do a few more memory quilts as I enjoy doing them.  I want to learn and get good at hand turn applique.  I have done some but am not very good yet.  I want to try projects that are outside of my comfort zone as well.

Bella, I have actually made a quilt for a Hancock Fabric, ST. Jude contest that I won a second place ribbon for.  I am very proud of that quilt and I would like  to make more of them.

I would also love to have a quilting room that is large enough that I can put up a hand quilting frame and build up my stash and not have to move things to another romm just to sew.

Margaret

Page 1 of 5 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.