Top 10 Posters

Protect your credit cards. Encase them in metal.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti Posted: Wed, Nov 30 2011 10:56 PM

Thought I would alert everyone to new technology being used by criminals.  You know how you slide your cards though those things that scan the number, etc at stores?  Well the technology has been used to develop hand held scanners, that can scan the card while it is in your wallet or purse, to obtain the number, pin, your name, etc.  That information is sent to someone who makes a card which is then sent back to the criminal(s) who take it to a store, buy an easy to sell expensive big screen TV.  And this is done across several states, and several stores.

Often this 'scanning' is done at airports.  It may take a while to get the fake card made.  This happened to a close friend of ours.  He received a call last week from the bank asking if he bought a big screen TV in some distant state.  Luckily that sale was stopped.  That was his personal card.  But he then discovered that his business account had been completely wiped out.  (2 different cards.)  His bank is going to replace the money and is not going to pay Walmart.  He and my husband own a business together and that account has not been touched.  But the bank has cancelled those cards and has given them new charge cards.

I guess the only way to protect against this is to encase the card in metal.  Apparently there are special wallets now that have a safe metal lined pocket for the cards.   Airports have been one of the favorite locations for the criminals to scan cards, as travelers may have more money.  It was about one month after our friend traveled that he got hit.  Many walmarts, many states, many TVs in just 2-3 days. 

So be careful!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Wed, Nov 30 2011 11:26 PM

Thanks Patti for the heads up.  Do you think tin foil would work, I'll be traveling in January?

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 341
Points 7,235

Interesting information! Thank you for sharing!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 1:39 AM

Wow Patti.   Sorry that happened to your friend.  It is a shame that we have to be so careful with everything.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 1:42 AM

Marie:

Thanks Patti for the heads up.  Do you think tin foil would work, I'll be traveling in January?

Yes Marie,

Tin foil will work.

This issue is one of the things that's keeping the new passports from being a reality. They are supposed to have chips in them with your personal information encoded. They will speed up airport time (supposedly) but security cannot be guaranteed as the scanners that read the info are not hard to duplicate for technology savvy criminals. Government IDs have had these chips for some time. 

There are stainless steel wallets and similar items that help prevent the theft of your info but there's nothing to stop the theft while the card is in use.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 6:54 AM

We fell for the stainless steel wallet ads. Biggest piece of junk we ever had.  Did you check snopes.com to see if this is real or urban legend?

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 7:14 AM

Only way to totally stop identity theft is to deal strictly with cash.  We had even talked about it. But, in this day and time, that is just impossible.  For awhile, we kept your saving out of the bank. But, that made it really easy to get to, so put it back. Just being on the computer, you can lose your identity. This is even not a secure site. A secure site starts with https://  not with http://  Betcha didn't know that.  Lots of people do online banking, lot's don't.  Those little chip things have been in the card swipemachines  in stores for years. Also, Clark Howard say's to never use a debit card as the bank does not cover a lose as well as it does a credit card. But, if you have a VIsa debit, or one of the other major credit card debit card, it works like a debit card, if there is a theft. You must only use an actual credit card. Or, you can get that program that guy on TV is selling to protect your identity. If you have ever heard of Clark Howard, he says the deal with the guy who can protect your idenity (can't thnk of the name of it) really is legit and works. You can also put a fraud alert on your credit card. My Mom got suckered into a scheme in the 70's that was supposed to protect your credit.. Turned out to be a pyramid scheme and she lost a lot of money. On the other hand, my sister left her wallet in the seat of an airplane and never had any problem.  I guess we have to make our own choices where our credit is concerned. Oh, Clark also said those steel wallet's are a joke. We know.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 7:42 AM

I recently bought one and i absolutely love it!  but I am not using it for what it was intended.  mine is a metal case but it has accordion style slots for your cards.  I am not one to carry a purse.  I used to carry one though.  But in the pharmacy at a different place that I worked ladies were not permitted to bring their purses inside.  it was either lock them up in  the trunk of your car, or get a locker.  well, at the time my Dh and i were sharing a ride, so locking them in the car was not an option.  There were never enough individual lockers at work  available so I  carried a regular wallet for awhile.  but even that got old trying to keep up with it.  So when I found this, at work, I grabbed one and now it slides easily in and out of my scrub pant pocket and i dont worrry as much about it.  I keep my quilters yardage card, my joanns card, DLicense, and the required cards that i need to work with and it is great....

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 9:41 AM

I've had this happen to me twice, Luck had it the bank and I both caught it and they did replace my money and I closed those accoutns .I do use one of those little metal wallets now ,for my cards and I do most of my online shopping with paypal.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,265
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 9:46 AM

Thanks Kris, I'll see what I could put together to protect my cards.

I've always thought that the safest way to protect ourselves is with our fingerprints.  That should be the way we are identified with all the transactions we make in life.  Now I might be naive what are your thoughts?  

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 9:49 AM

You know, they also sell small, metal cases for things such as business cards and I think cigarettes still.  That can also be an option....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 9:49 AM

Marie ,I think it is a good idea .they should be able to do that with a card. to many floks are stealing stuff nowdays I'd do it ,,get the fingerprint .Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 10:30 AM

My bank card has my picture on it.  Works great in stores but there is still the problem with online purchases.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 3:14 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Only way to totally stop identity theft is to deal strictly with cash.

I have to disagree with this statement.

My identity was "compromised" from medical records. My credit report is monitored.

If your information is out there you're at risk. If you've purchased a home your personal info is on record at the court house. They're not supposed to include your SSN but it's not always removed. Marriage, divorce etc. Public records. People who know you can also commit fraud in your name.

As for QCA I've advised others from day one not to include personal info in posts to the forums. These threads can be seen by anyone (not just members) tags make it much easier for google. Anything in your gallery, blog  etc is out there.

I don't worry about it too much though. Just about anything we do can be unsafe. Why live in fear?

As you said, it's a choice and we do what's within our comfort zone. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 8:19 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Did you check snopes.com to see if this is real or urban legend?

No this time it is not urban legend.  It happened to our friend, who is my husband's business partner.  The business account that got wiped out was his own,  and his personal bank account was hit too.  So yesterday they called the bank which has the joint business account and the bank immediately cancelled their cards and issued new ones.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use