Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 3,415
Rachel Young Posted: Wed, Nov 30 2011 9:55 AM

Hey y'all! I hope this is the correct forum to post this in...

Last week, my husband found a box belonging to my late grandmother (she passed 3 years ago). Inside were two finished 'flowers' with 16 petals each:

There are enough petals to finish 3 more flowers. I'd like to create a quilt from this and give it to my parents for Christmas - thinking that a quilt made by both myself and my grandmother, years apart, would be a really special gift. I haven't mentioned finding the fabric to them, so it'll be a complete and total surprise.

Problem is - I haven't got a clue what to do with them. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Rachel

Rachel in East Tennessee

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Nov 30 2011 9:58 AM

Rachel

This is a Dresden Plate block.   You cut out squares about 4 in bigger than the "Plate" and applique the plate onto the square.  You can also cut a contrasting circle to sew over the small hole in the center.  This is a beautiful "Plate".  The fabrics are so pretty.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 3,415

Thanks, Nana!

I don't know what she was going to do with it, but I'm really excited to see what it becomes. I'm also thrilled to be working on this "with" my grandmother. It just makes it so special.

Rachel in East Tennessee

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,349
Points 27,445
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Nov 30 2011 10:08 AM

this is the dresden plate pattern.  If you google it you will find lots of info.  What a wonderful find!!!

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Nov 30 2011 10:09 AM

Rachel

You are welcome.  Your quilt will be beautiful and have lots of memories.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,308
Points 254,959
Barbara replied on Wed, Nov 30 2011 10:57 AM

Rachel ,Here is a example of what I did with a Dresden plate, That I made with Jenny Doan from Missouri Star  ,I love the fabric your grandmother has used it will be beautiful.Barbara

You can really see it better if you go to my gallery and look at it.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 3,415

What a great idea!

Here I was thinking it had to be symmetrical...I hadn't thought of making actuall flowers! Love it!

Rachel in East Tennessee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,308
Points 254,959
Barbara replied on Wed, Nov 30 2011 11:32 AM

Rachel Young:

What a great idea!

Here I was thinking it had to be symmetrical...I hadn't thought of making actuall flowers! Love it!

You might checkout  U tube and find the tutorial that  Jenny Doan has On doing this ,she made it so easy to do . took me acouple of days  to make . I think she just called it Dresedn Flower..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 12:38 PM

Rachel these Dresden plate blocks are a treasure! Since they are your grandmothers and from an earlier era, I would keep with a more traditional block/quilt as that is most likely what the blocks were intended for. As there are going to be 5 blocks I think it would make a lovely lap quilt for your parents to use and reflect upon each time they use it.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 11:08 AM

Lovely Dresden plate...you could make a wall hanging, throw pillows...and the list goes on!  What a beautiful treasure for remembering someone dear.  If you make throw pillows (good for  bed, chair or couch) you could give one to your parents and keep one for yourself.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.