MEASURING CHARTS

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni posted on Mon, Nov 28 2011 9:16 AM

Block Measurements for Half square Triangles?   Is there a chart for measuring blocks for half square triangles

e.g. 8" finished block, 8-1/2 inch block for just a block, is there a chart for making this block  into 2-1/2 sq. triangles?  I thought I had this chart in one of my quilting books...unable to find it.

Do I just add 7/8" to finished block size?  Making my cutting block 8 7/8" x 8 7/8"?

Do we have a thread for measurements, for charts?  Seems to me this would prove of great help and save trying to sift through everything to find such information.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Joni , I think that is a great Idea , and it will help alot of the newbies and some of us older newbies ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,650 Posts
Points 135,977

Joni, I watched a F&P episode, and they said if you have half sq tri and want them to fininsh then you will add 7/8 to what ever size you are making

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Nov 29 2011 8:32 AM

Barbara:
I think that is a great Idea , and it will help alot of the newbies and some of us older newbie

I just downloaded quiltfab on to my iPhone.  Do you have to zero everything out you're not using? I assume?  like sashes, etc.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

A quilting friend stressed upon me that I need to learn quilting math if I want to move beyond the basic following of designer's patterns.  She recommended "Great Sets: Roadmaps to Spectacular Quilts" by Sharyn Craig.  The book takes the reader through seven basic blocks (ex: square in a square) and explains the math for designing and cutting, and then shows examples of different quilts that use that block.  This is not a book of quilt patterns but an explanation of the math to free you to design your own.  A lot of time is spent on the different types of triangles. The appendix is loaded with charts and tips.  I think I may end up reading through this book several times to absorb it all.

Another handy book is the "All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool."  It is loaded with charts, tables, and drawings, and it is small enough to keep in my purse for trips to the LQS.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,465 Posts
Points 116,645

MNnancy:
Another handy book is the "All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool." 
MNnancy:

Nancy, thanks for the references, these should be very helpful.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Judy, you are already proficient at designing your own quilts.  Look at that gorgeous leaf & drawing quilt you made!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

thanks nancy, I'm gonna check them out when I get back from Doctor..barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
649 Posts
Points 12,665

I have the All-in-one but the Great Sets sounds like one I could really use, does it come w/ a a cup of patience's...I distest math & since I am a self taught quilter I have alot of bad habits and when I try to follow a pattern I get very discouraged.

thanks Nancy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Tue, Nov 29 2011 11:34 AM

Annie

Yes anything you aren't using is set at zero.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use