Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 36 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 7:16 AM

HI, Rachel, I was on the Craftsy site yesterday. They have the free motion quilt  class on sale for $30. now. So, jump in, girl. they have great classes.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,843
Points 248,979
Barbara replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 7:39 AM

Rachel I have all three of these classes and they are wonderful .the free motion class is really good and very helpful She goes nice and slow and does a really good job explaining things for you ..Crafsty site is a must ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 986
Points 24,705

Welcome, Rachel! I live close to you in Maryville. Feel free to contact me for another quilter in your area. This is a wonderful site with ladies of all skill levels and they love to share their knowledge with fellow quilters. You will feel right at home quickly, just as I did.

Again, welcome!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 3,415

Wow! I'm so blow away from all the responses! Y'all have really made me feel welcome and let me know I'm in the right place!

I finished my VERY FIRST quilt last night and have pictures. If I attached them correctly, you should be able to see it below. A word of warning - I have had ZERO classes and am self-taught (my first class is Dec 5th - so excited!) This was from a kit. I cut the fabric on the floor of my living room - without a ruler...and paid little to no attention to accuracy or detail. That will change with the next one!

Each corner was a new learning process! LOL!

For quilting, I followed the advice of several of you and stitched in the ditch. For the binding, I attatched it to the back and then used a feather stitch to attach it to the front (that was a suggestion from the dealer I purchased my machine from). Saved tons of time, from what I understand!

Looking forward to any thoughts or suggestions y'all can offer! Thanks again everyone for the warm and wonderful welcome!

Rachel in East Tennessee

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 986
Points 24,705

Great job on your first quilt...self taught and all! You are going to do great. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Rachel--

Your quilt turned out very well.  I love the decorative stitching you did and your fabric choices are wonderful.  A great first quilt.

Kissimmee, FL

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

Oh my.  .........You just did my heart so much good!  :)

Quilting is when you have the top, the batting, & the back layered together & now you need to sew through all three layers.  This holds the 3 layers together.

The stitching is called "quilting" & can be done in countless patterns.  The color of the thread, the length of the stitches, how close you place the quilted rows of stitching all make up the art of what is known as quilt patterns.

Whole industries are devoted to quilt patterns.  Different ethnic, cultural, regional ---whatever type of group affiliation you can think of - often incorporate some type of symbol into their logo.  These are perfect springboards for coming up with a quilt pattern.  Other people may choose a photograph & outline the picture to form their quilting stitiches.  You can use free hand artwork with your sewing machine to form quilting patterns.  There are worlds of quilting patterns that can be accessed via the net or quilt books & magazines, tv shows, etc.  You can historically research groups like the Amish to find classic quilting patterns.  In other words the sky is the limit.  You can go as far as your imagination & energy will allow.

Have fun.  Enjoy what you are doing.  

Your life will never be the same once the quilt bug bites.  

Mary Ellen

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 9:14 AM

Love your version of quilting in the ditch!  I'm going to steal the idea if you don't mind.  Fantastic first quilt!  You are going to progress so fast in this  art of quilt making!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,226
Points 16,495
Susan replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 9:37 AM

Flojo, Sorry, you had such a bad experience with a certain book. However, I did say a Good Book. That is one of the ways I taught myself to quilt . Susan

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 9:52 AM

Thanks Susan.  Learned a lesson the hard way and it stuck!  GOOD BOOK is the key!  and worth every extra penny if need be. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 10:03 AM

Rachel, very nice!  You'll do well as a quilter.  Love your colors and your stitch choices.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 10:51 AM

Rachel

You did a great job for a first quilt.  I see you are playing with your decorative stitches.  That can be lots of fun.  As you progress with your quilting you will probably find that you won't want to use those stitches much anymore.   Just have fun with your quilting.  There really aren't any quilt police out there and if you should happen to run into one just ignore them.   We do.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Welcome Rachel.  I see that you have already gotten a lot of terrific advice.  I would have recommended the free motion group here on QCA and also the courses on Craftsy.  I have two of the Craftsy courses and as seriously considering the machine quilting one.  I just finished a machine quilting class at my LQS too.  

If you haven't done so yet, invest in a rotary cutter, mat and some rulers.  That will help you cut more accurately and accurate cutting is a big key in making all you seams and points match up. Also, Mary and Diana both live near you and I am sure they could be a big help.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Rachel, great first quilt!

Margaret

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 6:55 PM

Welcome, the fun part about not knowing anything about something is the fact that you do things that everyone would say couldn't be done, but your doing it, and very well.  Way to go!!

Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use