Top 10 Posters

Working on a quilt with more than one sewing machine

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 5 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465
safrmaz posted on Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:23 AM

Here is something I never heard before... My mother took a class and was told by the instructor to keep working on her quilt blocks with the portable machine she took to class.  She has another machine set up in her sewing room which would be easier & more convenient to work on at home but the instructor said the blocks may not be consistent in size from one machine to another.  She has a lot of time, money, and effort into the quilt so she continues to work on it with her portable.  Has anyone else ever heard of this theory or has anyone ever experienced problems because of working on more than one machine?  I would think that you could take your blocks from class and compare your seam allowances, then, if needed, set up your other machine's needle position to be the same.  Any thoughts?

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 60
Answered (Verified) Debra replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:31 AM
Verified by safrmaz

Well, from my own experience, I would say that it is true. You need to use the same machine. I had started a quilt for my daughter and then put it away. I got it back out recently and made another block. The block came out smaller that the others and I couldn't figure out why. I asked my daughter what she thought and she said that I had used my Singer featherweight to make the other blocks and that I was using my newer Singer to make the last block. After thinking about this for some time, I'm pretty sure I had my Little Foot attachment on the Featherweight and I didn't use it on the newer singer. I'm going to change the foot on the newer Singer and see if that makes a difference. Hope this helps.

• | Post Points: 55
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,453 Posts
Points 243,837
Answered (Verified) Thea replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 9:46 AM
Verified by safrmaz

Debra - this can be true if you are using different feet to get your 1/4" from - if you don't use that 1/4" foot though and are old school - using either a mark on your sewing table or your mature eye to see this then I see no problem using different machines... but the feet are not all consistent.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 9:53 AM
Verified by safrmaz

i switch back and forth, but i know  where that  scant quarter inch seam is on all my machines.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625
Verified by safrmaz

I'm guessing its all in the feet.  I can't see why it would be the machine. A test block woud let her know whats what with the seam allowance.

• | Post Points: 25
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Answered (Verified) Joy replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 11:39 AM
Verified by safrmaz

This is very true unless you know your machines well. When a my friend and I were working fervently to get a quilt done for her parents anniversary we were using both of our machines....and disaster struck!!! The stitches and the way the machine pieced the fabric together were completely different! When we tried to piece the blocks together they were different sizes and you could really tell. I think it had something to do with how (difficult to explain), much fabric the bottom piece took when attaching it to the top. Needless to say we ended up "unsewing" every block I did! And had to re-cut some pieces because they were stretched. Never do that one again!

Tell your mom to piece with one machine, but once the inside is done I think it will be ok to add borders with another.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 60
Answered (Verified) Debra replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:31 AM
Verified by safrmaz

Well, from my own experience, I would say that it is true. You need to use the same machine. I had started a quilt for my daughter and then put it away. I got it back out recently and made another block. The block came out smaller that the others and I couldn't figure out why. I asked my daughter what she thought and she said that I had used my Singer featherweight to make the other blocks and that I was using my newer Singer to make the last block. After thinking about this for some time, I'm pretty sure I had my Little Foot attachment on the Featherweight and I didn't use it on the newer singer. I'm going to change the foot on the newer Singer and see if that makes a difference. Hope this helps.

• | Post Points: 55
Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

Debra, I think it makes sense.  I wondered, keeping that in mind, if you could compare blocks made on both machines for consistency in size and make necessary adjustments on the machine you would be doing most of the work on.  If not, I would be reluctant to start a quilt in a class on a portable machine since it's more convenient to work on the machine that is set up in a cabinet with more work space.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,453 Posts
Points 243,837
Answered (Verified) Thea replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 9:46 AM
Verified by safrmaz

Debra - this can be true if you are using different feet to get your 1/4" from - if you don't use that 1/4" foot though and are old school - using either a mark on your sewing table or your mature eye to see this then I see no problem using different machines... but the feet are not all consistent.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 9:53 AM
Verified by safrmaz

i switch back and forth, but i know  where that  scant quarter inch seam is on all my machines.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625
Verified by safrmaz

I'm guessing its all in the feet.  I can't see why it would be the machine. A test block woud let her know whats what with the seam allowance.

• | Post Points: 25
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Answered (Verified) Joy replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 11:39 AM
Verified by safrmaz

This is very true unless you know your machines well. When a my friend and I were working fervently to get a quilt done for her parents anniversary we were using both of our machines....and disaster struck!!! The stitches and the way the machine pieced the fabric together were completely different! When we tried to piece the blocks together they were different sizes and you could really tell. I think it had something to do with how (difficult to explain), much fabric the bottom piece took when attaching it to the top. Needless to say we ended up "unsewing" every block I did! And had to re-cut some pieces because they were stretched. Never do that one again!

Tell your mom to piece with one machine, but once the inside is done I think it will be ok to add borders with another.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use