Can You Identify This Quilt?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
22 Posts
Points 775
Marsha posted on Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:10 AM

I saw this quilt at a museum in Weathersfield, Vermont this summer.  Since then I have blogged about it (www.quilterinmotion.wordpress.com) and had inquiries about it.  Several of my readers believe it to be a unique pattern.  Can you help?  If you have seen this pattern before, please let me know.

It was made in the 1860's and is an album quilt called "Weathersfield Rising Sun Album Quilt".  Several of us have researched "rising sun" and have not come up with it.  I'm about to make a reproduction of it but would love to know if anyone else has seen one like it across the country...or beyond.

As you may be able to tell, the top half is made like a "Carolina Lily" design but has that lovely little triangle for the signature and then the botton half is a full triangle. 

If it's unknown, is there a way to get it recognized by quilt authorities?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 10:46 AM

Marsha

Beautiful quilt and love the block.  I have no idea what it is called.  Have not seen this particular pattern before.  It does resemble a Carolina Lily a little but not in entirity.  It may very well be a "self" design.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 11:24 AM

It looks like the upper half of a Peony block.  The bottom half has 2 more 'petals" and an appliqued stem

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,232 Posts
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 1:43 PM

I have no idea what it's called but, my first glance made me think of a fancy hankie in a pocket! LOL!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,805

Excuse me, but I thought WE were quilting authorities?????

Sukochi

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Tue, Nov 15 2011 11:43 AM

Lol Suk, just because we are doesn't mean we know everything about quilting thereis to know hence why we all take classes and read magazines still etc. ;)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use