Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 41 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 9:15 PM

Have you tried a reverse phone number lookup? You can do a search on "reverse phone number lookup" and there should be a lot of hits. To look up the address, you type in there phone number and press enter. Locally we have the "white pages" that will give you most of the local people's names and addresses for the phone numbers you enter.

Hope you get your quilts back soon. That shop owner is creating bad karma for herself! She better be carefull or she will be on the recieving end of something.

Toledo, OH

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,412
Points 38,005
Linda replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 9:41 PM

Georgia,

That shop owner sure has put you in a tough spot. I hope you are following everyone's advice here. It is very good advice. I'd definately file a police report and contact the BBB. Most attorney's have a free consultation. It wouldn't hurt to talk to one, just to see what the options are to get your property returned. It's sad to see a few bad quilters out there. I like to think that there are no bad quilters in the world, but we don't live in a perfect world. Good luck in your endeavors!

Linda

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 11:25 PM

Just an update on our dilemma... the sheriff returned from his visit with a box of quilt tops... yay!!!  There are still 4 quilt tops unaccounted for so he is going to make a phone call or another visit and see if he can scare those up.  Unfortunately the sheriff was informed that my two finished quilts had been sold so I can only hope that they went to good homes.  I could file for compensation in small claims court but I don't think I'm going to do it.  I've severed all ties with this person and really don't want any contact or connection to her at all.  I'm glad that most of the ladies have received their tops and hope that the last four will also get theirs.  At least I won't have to endure the unhappy and uncomfortable encounters in the grocery store and post office anymore!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 11:46 PM

Georgia

That is at least semi good news.  Sorry that your quilts are gone.  It is unbelievable the things some people will do.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 11:49 PM

All's well that ends well...sort of. If you are alright without compensation, then you have done what YOU can.  I would let it go, too. at least the Sheriff put the fear of theft charges into her so hopefully, she won't try and pull this stunt again.  It makes me sick that there are people like that out there.  I have read of the quilts mailed to quilt shows that never arrive and are never found.  It just breaks my heart. I have a $700. hand appliqued quilt that my MIL bought form an Amish lady years ago. after MIL passed, she sister asked if she could have the quilt. I am terrified to mail it. I would have to insure it for full value which means saying quilt on the mailing ins. form. that scares me that it might never get to her. Only other option would be to make the 8 hour drive one way to take it to her. DH isn't up to a long drive like that and I doubt that I could do it right now either. So, she will just have to hang on till we can make it.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 2:20 AM

It's hard to put those family heirlooms into a box and then trust some company to deliver them.  I have submitted a couple of quilts to the Hoffmann Challenge.  I sent those via UPS and have had no problem.  I also have children and grandchildren out of state.  I sent quilts to them for Christmas a couple of years ago -- again via UPS -- and worried constantly until they were delivered.  That was five quilts and about 7 months of work!  They got there safely but I'm not sure I could ever go through that experience again!

I appreciate all the words of advice, sympathy, and encouragement.  I'm sure that these quilts would never have come back to their owners if we hadn't taken this rather drastic action.  Just needed others who would understand to give me a little push.  Thanks everyone!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,412
Points 38,005
Linda replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 3:19 AM

Georgia,

Glad the police  have resolved the problem, but sorry to hear that your quilts were sold. I think you can put the word out with descriptions of the quilts stating that t he quilts were sold without permission. Maybe someday the quilts will find their way back to you. It wouldn't hurt to try.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 8:56 AM

Georgia:
I sent quilts to them for Christmas a couple of years ago -- again via UPS -- and worried constantly until they were delivered.  That was five quilts and about 7 months of work!  They got there safely but I'm not sure I could ever go through that experience again!

I mail my quilts all the time and have never had a bit of trouble.  I always use the postal service and priority mail and they always arrived within 2-3 days, safe and sound.  I know how hard it is to put trust in any of the delivery services for something so valuable or at least something you have invested so much time in, but if they are packaged properly and addressed properly and you know the party on the other end will be home when delivery is attempted, there shouldn't be a problem.  Most package thefts occur after delivery when the package is left on the doorstep.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 9:10 AM

I recall seeing a web-sight dedicated to locating lost quilts/tops awhile ago. I can't remember the address, but I'm sure a quick search would turn it up. You can post pictures of your missing quilt  and it's spotted somewhere you'll get an e-mail.

Geogria, I hate to see you walk away from your quilts. Do you really want that 'person' to profit from your hard work? She admitted to selling stolen property!!  The sheriff should be able to press charges against her for it - I'd wager their appraised value might even warrent a felony charge.  He may not realize the monitary value of your "Blankets" and so assumed that they weren't worth all that much so not worthy of his pursuing it. If you take him proof of what simulare quilts sell for, he might feel more inclined to pursue the matter further for you, and you'll be able to avoid small claims court. Of course, you'll have to come up with proof that they were only on loan to her. Do you have any documentation?

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 9:51 AM

chocake2:
Geogria, I hate to see you walk away from your quilts. Do you really want that 'person' to profit from your hard work? She admitted to selling stolen property!! 

chocake is Right!  This woman sold YOUR quilts ON PURPOSE because she is vindictive!  She will do it again if she can.   At least put an add in the paper around there, advertise, advertise, ADVERTISE.  Someone will know SOMETHING.  Then, even if you don't take her to court (I know how much of a drain it can be on YOU as well) at least it will get back to her that she has a reputation, and maybe THAT will stop her.  If you don't do it for you, take this action and do it for others!  Who knows? Maybe your quilts will show up after all!   <<<<<<<<<<<<<hugs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 9:57 AM

I don't get why the Sheriff did not immediately charge her with theft. Unless there is no proof that you did not donate those quilts to the shop. You word against hers perhaps.  I would press charges. talk to the law again. This is grand theft quilt!!

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Georgia,  I am happy to hear that most of the women got their quilt tops back and I do hope the rest of them are recovoered as well.  The shop owner should consider herself lucky that she was not charged with theft and I am really surprised that the sheriff did not charge her with the theft of your quilts. 

Margaret

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 80
KCScamp replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 1:39 PM

Can you 2 meet half way maybe?  I would NOT trust sending in the mail....and Fed Express is very expensive but has better tracking.....or is there someone younger that you can trust on both ends to do the drive half way and make the delivery?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 80
KCScamp replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 1:42 PM

I was so saddened by this happening to anyone.....but I am glad that it has been somewhat resolved....I am sincerely grieving with you on the loss of your 2 quilts but at the same time filled w/joy that most have gotten theirs returned.....I wouldn't have know what to do either.
You did good!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 80
KCScamp replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 1:45 PM

Good suggestion.  How many men? or non-quilters would have any idea that quilts can be 'priceless'?

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use