Quilt as you go

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
163 Posts
Points 2,955
Carmel posted on Sat, Nov 5 2011 6:26 PM

I am looking for instructions on quilt as you go.  A few shops in my area PA have some classes on this subject, but I wanted to try this now.

I am making a lap quilt and have all of the blocks made.

Thanks,

Carmel

Macungie, PA

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

Welcome, Carmel!  Georgia Bonesteel has books on Quilt As You Go.  I bought a few back in the 80's. She has a website and I'm sure you can find her books on either Amazon or e-bay.  Good luck :-)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825

Hi, welcome. Check you local Library. I bet they will have Georiga's books. Our's has them.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 9:09 PM

Hi welcome to the group. There is a newer book that came out not done by Georgia.  I would have to hunt it up but I ordered it from the american quilters society website or order form.  You could probably find lots of info as suggested at your library.  I would also type in on google for the search and see what comes up book title wise. There are probably multiple websites with techniques for you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 9:16 PM

hi carmel, joyce put a tutorial on here on quilting in sections.   i'll see if i can find it

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 9:20 PM

i can't find it.   someone will locate it for you,   in the meantime   welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 11:30 PM

Welcom Carmel,

Nancy Zeiman has a two part video which she calls column quilts. She sews the blocks into columns, then adds the batting and backing, quilts the column, then sews the second column to the first. 

The process with quilt squares works the same way, sew the blocks together into one row or a strip, add the batting, and backing, sew around the outer edge with a 1/8th inch seam and quilt the column. To add the second column lay the next quilt block column on top of the first column with the right sides together, lay the batting on top of the second column, lay a piece of thin white fabric over the batting or thin strip of stabilizer over the edge of the batting and pin. Lay a strip of backing fabric on the back of the column. All of these pieces should be the same width as the first column. Sew all four layers together with a 1/4 inch seam. Flip all of the pieces over and press. Stitch the top, bottom and right sides together with a 1/8th inch seam. Quilt the second section. Repeat adding more columns.

http://video.wpt2.org/video/1701089053

Toledo, OH

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,414 Posts
Points 61,767

Carmel--

This a roundabout way to get to the info Gini mentioned.  If you type in   "eating the elephant " (no quotes) in the search box on QCA's homepage you'll get to the article I wrote on my blog.  Hope this helps.

Kissimmee, FL

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,443 Posts
Points 176,258
Marie replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 7:28 AM

Welcome Carmel and enjoy the site.  You've gotten good suggestions on quilt as you go, good luck.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,443 Posts
Points 176,258
Marie replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 12:42 PM

Joyce,

When we were doing Jodi's BOM I couldn't get quilt as you go to save my soul!  I just went to your blog on "eating the elephant" and a light bulb went on in my head and suddenly I understand clearly both methods.  Know that light bulb doesn't go on very often lately but it was shining bright today.  Thank you thank you thank you!!!    (((HuGS)))

Marie

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,443 Posts
Points 176,258
Marie replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 12:48 PM

Carmel just one more thing to add to Joyce's post above........Click on her name in red and that will take you to her home page, then click blog in her info and that should take you to "eat the elephant" and let me tell you the instructions are as clear as a bell!

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
163 Posts
Points 2,955

Marie, thanks for the advice, I printed out the instructions "eat the elephant". I think I need to read it again to be sure I understand.

Carmel

Macungie, PA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 3:31 PM

good grief. joyce "eat the elephant?"  no way am i going to remember that,  well, now maybe i will, but i can see myself going through all the zoo animals until i get to it.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 4:06 PM

Gini

I can see you now....what am I suppose to eat????

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,537 Posts
Points 21,100

Welcome to the group Carmel.

Margaret

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use