Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 86,340
Sukochi Posted: Tue, Nov 1 2011 4:14 PM

I was just reading the Reap What You Sew blog of the Quilting Ministry at the First Christian Church in Phoenix, AZ.  I found this interesting:

To clean your OLFA mat, use a generous amount of  ROOM temperature water and a few drops of a mild detergent. Soaking it in a tub for about 10 - 15 minutes will re-hydrate it. Use a soft mild bristle brush or mushroom brush.....and create a lather and gently clean your mat. Rinse it with ROOM temperature water and wipe it dry with a cotton towel.  Please note that warm or hot water , and direct sunlight, might damage the mat.  Dry it and store it FLAT. To keep fibers from getting caught up in the surface, use a lint roller after each cutting session.  Tip from Nadine Arney.

I have never heard of this. Has anyone else?

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 20,010
safrmaz replied on Tue, Nov 1 2011 5:31 PM

I have never heard of that tip, either.  I remember, recently, Quilt Daddy posted a tip that said to use white vinegar.  I haven't tried it yet.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 680

I remember seeing a post about eliminating the smells that come on some mats by wiping it with white vinegar and letting it air dry and to use a scrubby to get lint out of the tiny spaces which occur on mats.  Thanks for sharing these.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,552
Points 40,355
Linda replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 7:11 AM

Hi Sukochi,

This is the quilt group I belong to in Phoenix that I'm always bringing up in my blogs or it's where I've gotten some of my quilt patterns. I love this group!! Talk about a friendly and helpful group of ladies!! They give over 2000 quilts a year to childrens' charities such as childrens hospitals, Ronald McDonald house, foster care, hospice, veterans hositals, etc. As a matter of fact, their distribution night is coming up on November 15. What an experience that is to behold!

Linda

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 86,340
Sukochi replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 7:22 AM

Linda, My sister is a quilter and full-time RV'er. She and her DH will be spending their first winter in Phoenix. I would love for her to be involved in a group like this. They, however, will be in a camping community near to Cave Creek, as that is where the eldest son lives.  Is this quite a drive from that side of Phoenix?  She doesn't know any quilters there. She is a joiner and ,I think ,she would be so much happier to have quilting friends there..  They won't be out there till late Dec and then leave for Flagstaff for the summer when the heat starts.  Can I friend you and give you her email addy?  Maybe, you could help her find some quilting friends there. She said she went to one quilt shop she really liked that gives classes, and is having a retreat, but that will be before she gets there, I think. Could be wrong about the retreat.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,347
Points 30,575
Agnes replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 8:01 AM

Thanks. I will be trying this today. Sure makes sense to me. I have a 24x30 mat that needs general help. I have some smaller mats from the early 1980s that seem really hard compared to my newer mats and therefore use sparingly. They will get a spa treatment as well.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 8:33 AM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

I have never heard of this. Has anyone else?

Sukochi - I had heard about using a scrubby to get the lint out and laying it flat for storage but, not the washing part of it. It certainly sounds reasonable to me, though. I don't know what to think about using vinegar, though. It's so acidic, I wouldn't have thought it would be good for it but...vinegar has so many handy uses that I guess it's possible. Hmmmmm...very interesting.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 20,010
safrmaz replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 12:15 PM

Sheila:
I wouldn't have thought it would be good for it but...vinegar has so many handy uses that I guess it's possible.

That was my initial reaction.... probably why I haven't tried it yet :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,552
Points 40,355
Linda replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 5:30 PM

By all means, I'd be happy to be your sister's friend. Cave Creek is just north of Scottsdale. She could also join my little group of Reap What You Sew that helps the bigger group finish tops that folks turn in. There are over 100 tops that need to be finished and quilters are always turning in tops unfinished.  So my little group at Holy Cross Lutheran Church in South Scottsdale ties quilts and turns them back in to the bigger group. But I'd be happy to direct her to the bigger group as well.  I'm leaving for AZ on Dec. 1 and arrive Dec. 4. My cell number is 440-799-7386. Just have her call me when she gets out there. I'm really going to have fun this winter. I'm already arranging to meet a couple other quilters in Phoenix from QCA. This is fantastic!! Thanks everyone!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,552
Points 40,355
Linda replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 5:31 PM

Anyone else out there from Phoenix area? We can have our own QCA group meeting!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.