Quilt for show entry-prewash or not??

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,937 Posts
Points 125,280
Judy T-Bellingham posted on Sun, Oct 30 2011 11:07 AM

If you want to enter a quilt in a quilt show, can you pre wash the quilt?  I MIGHT (emphasize MIGHT) enter my Mark Twain quilt in my first ever show at the state fair next year. More for the experience and not expectation of winning.

Anyway, part of the quilt may be embroidered Mark Twain sayings in the border, through all thicknesses. I would use that printable Transfer Ez but it needs to be rinsed out after the embroidery is done.

So, is it OK to wash the quilt before entering it in the show? I read the requirements for the show and it doesn't specify one way or the other.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 11:25 AM

Check the guidelines again. Some of the shows request it to get rid of allergens in the quilts so the people handling them don't have a reaction.  Also, a lot of judges don't like to see a stray animal hair anywhere. 

If that isn't mentioned and you don't have to worry about it, go by what your quilt looks like.  If it looks like an antique that is in good condition, but still an antique, maybe washing it will wrinkle it "just right".

I just looked at your gallery, and I must say, your quilts are beautiful!  But I don't see THIS one, and I am dying to see it!  Post a picture, pretty please!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,346 Posts
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 11:47 AM

Stray animal hairs are a definite no-no much to the chagrin of a fellow quilter that entered hers, hair and all, because she choose not to wash it. I also had a comment on one of mine because some of the quilting lines were still visible. I would sooner err on the side of washing rather than not. Following that there were no visible lines and all my quilts were washed before showing. In my provincial jurisdiction there was never a problem, reaching third place one year. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,937 Posts
Points 125,280

Bella:
I just looked at your gallery, and I must say, your quilts are beautiful!  But I don't see THIS one, and I am dying to see it!

Thanks Bella, Mark Twain is still a work in progress. I have all the geese  for the star blocks constructed and the storyblocks are done. I had quite a time finding the fabric for it as most of it is out of stock. www.quiltnetc.com in Keokuk, Iowa was a lifestaver. Here are two sample blocks I made while trying out fabric combinations. I've since changed the colors in the star blocks as you may be able to see in the EQ image. The final borders in the EQ image aren't the final, just the latest. I keep changing them and won't know what they will be until I get the main part pieced. I want to embroider a few of my husband's favorite Mark Twain's sayings in the light border but will have to see how a sample works out. I don't want to detract from the quilt itself.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,937 Posts
Points 125,280

Granny Agnes:
I would sooner err on the side of washing rather than not.

Thanks Granny. I will definitely wash my quilt if I decide to enter it. We have furbabies; long haired furbabies and I hadn't even considered the problem of pet hair. I'm such a novice.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 11:56 AM

Absolutely wonderful!  My 32 year old son wants one such as this one.  A couple of years ago, he and his dad went to a convention of sorts in Connecticut to show off his board game he created, and they took the time to do the tourist thing by going to the house of Samuel Clemmens.  Needless to say, he brought back EVERYTHING he could get in the gift shop, including the performance on DVD that was done by Hal Holbrook (remember that on tv as we were young?)  Suffice it to say, Kevin has now instructed me to do a quilt, and was very impressed (as am I) by yours!  WOW.  I hope it gets first place! :D

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,937 Posts
Points 125,280

Bella:
Kevin has now instructed me to do a quilt

Bella, if you want to use the Mark Twain fabrics in a quilt I wouldn't delay. They are no longer readily available, especially the story line fabrics. Quiltnetc only had a small amount left and told me they aren't being manufactured any longer.

Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 12:35 PM

Thanks, Judy!  The hunt is on!  :D

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 7:38 PM

Just a beautiful quilt and I would definitely enter it, Funny thing you would probably have a ton of people try to buy it off you as well lol. I wouldn't sell that one though.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,937 Posts
Points 125,280

Carey:
I wouldn't sell that one though.

Thanks Carey. Nope would never be for sale. It will be my husbands quilt that he's wanted and he would never want to sell it. Oh, well, slight correction. He just said, with a grin,  "I'd consider selling it for $25,000". (man is ALWAYS looking over my shoulder)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 8:31 PM

Lol well for 25k we would sell our most precious quilts as we could remake them with that and then an enormous stash or brand new machines or long arm machine lol.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Judy T-Bellingham:
(man is ALWAYS looking over my shoulder)

Oh, see, George really does like hanging out with us quilters!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 12:58 PM

Lol maybe he wants to learn so he can create his own manly designs. There are many guy quilters out there that do awesome jobs for the male population and to bring it into the artistic realms and bring more populations to view and sell their quilts and designs.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use