Top 10 Posters

which Brand of thread is the best?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 50 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
43 Posts
Points 1,265
Kathy posted on Sat, Oct 29 2011 10:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for anyone with an opinion. Should cover everybody. I have been reading about buying the best that you can afford in fabric, machines, and...........thread. So...which brand of thread is the best. From what I understand, egyptian cotton thread is the best kind of thread due to the long staples and that it will hold up better. But I am scratching my head when I go to the different stores and look at all the quilting sites and try to figure out which brand to buy. Any thought on this folks?

Thanks,

Kathy

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 185

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
8 Posts
Points 205
Jacquie replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 11:38 PM

I have tried them all and use MOST of them.

Different machines, different needles, even different fabric cause the threads to act differently! So, I play around until I get the BEST marriage!

99% of the time on my newer machine I use Aurifil! I prefer the 50 weight as I can use it for Paper piecing, piecing, AND machine applique just fine!

I use YLI 60wt for my bobbin.

I prefer to keep my threads all cotton when possible!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

ah yes I did not put in earlier message about bobbin threads, thanks Jacquie for mentioning that. Bobbin thread is extremely important that it be lighter than the top thread so that it is kept to the back. I too use  60wt. bobbin thread that  I wind my own. I have a white and a black polyester blend (shiny) for my embroideries that is a generic and a white cotton for quilting or piecing and appliqué. I purchase that thread on line through a company on Ebay. I use Janome bobbins, only because they wind better on my Janome, even though they are a class 15 regular. I use my C & C or other sewing threads in bobbins when doing fashion or handbags and totes.
Carylanne

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,540 Posts
Points 47,640

This is a great thread. no pun inteded. I think we each have to experiment with our machine and various threads. I use a lot of Connecting Thread Essentials in my little Singer. It does seem to have a lot of lint so I am just in the habit of cleaning the machine a lot. I have found that my pricey Janome Horizon does not like Essentials for quilting. It is fine for piecing, but not quilting on MY machine. I have tried quite a few of the name brands and most work well for me. You really have to try various threads and see what works for you. Superior Threads has a lot of good info on their website. I also have a book by Sarash Ann Smith called Thread Work Unraveled which has a lot of good info.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
341 Posts
Points 7,235

I use mettler or Guiterman. It was recommend back in 1994 when I took my first series of quilting classes. I should have known things have changed! I would love to try Aurifil but I was reluctant because of cost. Now that I know it has more thread for the money, maybe I will get one and try it. I have tried to win some on the different contests and was disappopinted when I did not win, but thankful some one did! The Aurifil site should have samples to give out for us to try! Just sayin...

Hugs, 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,482 Posts
Points 417,139
gini replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 2:10 AM

thanks jo, for the great information on thread

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 410

I have tried a lot of thread over the years.  From Coats and Clark to the top of the line Aurifil.  As I moved up the line it is plain to see that Aurifil is the best of the best.  It is fine when I do hand applique or just sewing down binding it just disappears.  The range of colors can't be beat either.  For piecing it just glides through my machine and my machine is actually quieter when I sew.  It seems pricey, however, there is so much on a spool and so much fits on a bobbin there is less filling needed and less stoppage of sewing.  I have a fair amount of Robison Anton thread that I am using up and it a nice thread, but put the two side by side and the RA feels like rope next to the Aurifil.  Another benefit of Aurifil is threading a hand sewing needle.  I glides through without struggle.  I am slowly switching over to all Aurifil.  As I use up a color of the RA I am replacing with Aurifil.  Well that's my two cents.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,482 Posts
Points 417,139
gini replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 10:10 AM

hi twistedsticks, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
26 Posts
Points 1,170
Gagoo replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 12:41 PM

I find that Aurifil is the BEST. Doesn't break, beautiful colors and leaves very little lint in the bobbin case (if any). Hope that helps

Gagoo

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,482 Posts
Points 417,139
gini replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 1:36 PM

hi gagoo, it's good to hear from you. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
26 Posts
Points 1,170
Gagoo replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 2:36 PM

Hi Gini,

I am in and out. More out than in, ha ha!  Glad to see the usual suspects are still members.

Love you all,

Gagoo

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 2:40 PM

Gagoo

Good to hear from you.  Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,482 Posts
Points 417,139
gini replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 2:50 PM

i miss you on here, gagoo.  you should drop in and play more often.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,232 Posts
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 2:54 PM

This is why I keep coming back to this site!! Information, Information, Information! Great insights from everyone. I've been using Gutermann for general sewing and piecing and have recently begun using Sulky for embroidery. Now you've all given me lots of new options! I sew, I sew...it's off to shop I go!

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 40

Thank you, Pamela.  I found this information very helpful. Not only did you provide information, but you actually have experience with the threads and the information you provided!!!   I am clearing my schedule to get into some piecing and wanted a quick update on the threads out on the market.  I am going to spring board on my own from your information, since I too have a Bernina machine.  I have taken some classes on Craftsy and after reading current magazine articles, the consensus was to use quality thread with your quality machine. It's kind of like using a better grade of oil in your car's motor. Which really makes sense.  Thank you for taking the time to post the results of your search on this forum. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:17 AM

I was at a quilt show in Aug,and one of the vendors /LQS was selling a brand of thread I'd never hear of or tried. It is called Glide . I have to admit I love it . It is a polyester Thread .but it works so well in my Janome that I ordered Several spools of it.  I can use this for peicing and quitling . I buy it in the cones and it last for a very long time.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 3 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use