Top 10 Posters

which Brand of thread is the best?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 50 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
43 Posts
Points 1,265
Kathy posted on Sat, Oct 29 2011 10:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for anyone with an opinion. Should cover everybody. I have been reading about buying the best that you can afford in fabric, machines, and...........thread. So...which brand of thread is the best. From what I understand, egyptian cotton thread is the best kind of thread due to the long staples and that it will hold up better. But I am scratching my head when I go to the different stores and look at all the quilting sites and try to figure out which brand to buy. Any thought on this folks?

Thanks,

Kathy

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 185

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

Jo - thank you so much for the mini education.  I always use the thread caps that came with my Janome.  The thread feeds so much better on my Janome than on my little Babylock that has the short spool holder and no thread cap. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
43 Posts
Points 1,265
Kathy replied on Tue, Nov 1 2011 7:07 AM

Thanks Todd, I will check out the videos. And Jo thanks for the great information. I have used the thread caps on my machine. I figured if they were there, there must be a reason. I did discover when quilting the baby quilt, when I switched threads, it quit giving me problems.

Kathy

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

Hi All, For those of you with a Babylock Jewel, mime HATES Mettler swilk finish.  Thread continually breaks, regardless of sprred. "Jules loves Gutterman, Aurafil and So Fine.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

Oh sorry I forgot Jules also love King Tut

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 200 Contributor
365 Posts
Points 6,820

I have used Sulky, Robison-Anton, YLI, and Aurifil.  The RA thread drove me nuts with the spools - like little mini-king spools - I could never get it to come off smoothly.  I LOVE the Aurifil.  I just started using it a couple of months ago, recommended by the LQS (who just started carrying it a while ago).  It seems expensive but that's because there is a lot more on the spool than the other brands too.  It comes off the spool really nice and smooth.  I plan to continue buying it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

I agree I love cotton thread and aurifil is the best.  I had a LQS tell me that you got the most bang for you buck because it has more thread on the spool.  Quilt Daddy I will check out your site, thanks

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

Quilt Daddy, wow that connecting thread is really a lot less expensive.  What kind of longarm do you have?

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 5:54 PM

Elizabeth

I could never use the essential thread on my midarm.   But I use it alot for piecing.   I also use it for quilting on my DSM.  It broke constantly on my midarm.  I do know of others that have really good luck with it on their longarms so I would at least give it a try.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,023 Posts
Points 16,150

I agree Nana, I couldn't useEssentials thread either, it was very linty and broke constantly!  Connecting threads has recently come out with a line exclusively for longarmers and I decided not to try that one. I had wasted enough cash already. LOL!

Judylee 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

I'd like to add my $.02 to this thread question. I have been sewing fashions with C&C for 50 years, but I found it not good for piecing when I learned to piece I couldn't get a scat 1/4" seam The polyester thread is too thick for fine piecing.
I use Aerofil by Madeira for all my piecing now it is perfect and made for quilting. It comes on small spools and yes I do use a thread cap, as my Janome requires it. I use a blue tip Janome 75/11 needle, very sharp, & this helps to keep down any lint build up on my pieces. I do have to clean behind it though. I purchase these threads in 6 packs 3 each black and white. It comes in all the range of colors though if you must have matching. If your piecing is good you never see the threads anyway. Nancy's notions sells it if you are interested in trying this one. I have a great sewing wall of threads for my 4 different machines and my Janome is an embroidery machine, so I also have 5 drawers and three bins full of 35 and 40 wt. embroidery threads. Each project requires my thread stash to be in full color.. LOL
enjoy the journey into threads and needles.
PS My husband thinks all this "stuff" is just that "stuff" until I show him a newly finished project, then he says wow you made that? Then I go buy fabric and more thread.. Love it!!!  PPS married to him for 43 years

Carylanne

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

Caryl Anne - which Janome embroidery machine do you have??

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

Judylee, thanks, since we have the same machine that really helps.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

Marge (AKA Dimples):

Caryl Anne - which Janome embroidery machine do you have??

MC10001

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

Caryl Anne:

I'd like to add my $.02 to this thread question. I have been sewing fashions with C&C for 50 years, but I found it not good for piecing when I learned to piece I couldn't get a scat 1/4" seam The polyester thread is too thick for fine piecing.
I use Aerofil by Madeira for all my piecing now it is perfect and made for quilting. It comes on small spools and yes I do use a thread cap, as my Janome requires it. I use a blue tip Janome 75/11 needle, very sharp, & this helps to keep down any lint build up on my pieces. I do have to clean behind it though. I purchase these threads in 6 packs 3 each black and white. It comes in all the range of colors though if you must have matching. If your piecing is good you never see the threads anyway. Nancy's notions sells it if you are interested in trying this one. I have a great sewing wall of threads for my 4 different machines and my Janome is an embroidery machine, so I also have 5 drawers and three bins full of 35 and 40 wt. embroidery threads. Each project requires my thread stash to be in full color.. LOL
enjoy the journey into threads and needles.
PS My husband thinks all this "stuff" is just that "stuff" until I show him a newly finished project, then he says wow you made that? Then I go buy fabric and more thread.. Love it!!!  PPS married to him for 43 years

Carylanne

link to what i use for piecing http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/white+8011+madeira+aerofil+all+purpose+thread%2C+110+yd..do?sortby=ourPicks

• Designed to run without problems, this thread has optimum sewing properties such as elasticity, strength, and glides through fabrics knot-free by hand or machine
  • All-purpose sewing and quilting thread
  • 2 ply, 100% polyester
  • Available in three sizes: 110 yd./spool; 440 yd./spool; 1,100 yd./spool

Page 2 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
    Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
    By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use