Top 10 Posters

Need advice....Calling all color experts, quilters, idea people

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Points 2,430
KathyColorado posted on Sat, Oct 29 2011 5:53 PM

Being just a beginner fresh out of piecing classes, I am baffled at what fabric to use for the backing and binding of my black and white quilt top.  When I chose the fabric I had my DIL in mind who doesn't like red at all.  It seems like most black and white fabrics with any color are either red or yellow.  DIL's favorite color is aqua so I was thinking of using aqua somewhere. 

Do you have any suggestions?

Kathy

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,525 Posts
Points 50,995
Ginny replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 6:02 PM

Why not use aqua as the binding --also for the backing.  Perhaps you could find a batik in aqua for the backing.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Points 2,430

Do you think the aqua binding and backing should also have black and white in it? 

Kathy

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 6:08 PM

Aqua works good. See a picture of my quilt in my gallery of the bargello quilt I made. Click on my picture and then click on gallery. They go good together green of some sort or blue works well with this color combination.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,600 Posts
Points 119,070

Kathy, I love your pattern and black and white fabrics! Beautifully put together. I don't really have any suggestions for additional colors, others have made some good suggestions. Just wanted to tell you how beautiful it is.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 6:49 PM

Ginny:
Why not use aqua as the binding

I agree with Ginny, aqua as the binding and backing would be quite a dramatic suprise as well as pretty

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

Kathy,

Beautiful quilt!  You did a great job for a beginner!

If it were my quilt, I would stick with the black and white theme for the binding & backing.  If you really want to incorporate aqua, I would try to find a dark aqua (almost turquoise) batik with black in it.  Good luck :-)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,373 Posts
Points 175,023
Marie replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 7:07 PM

Kathy, this is absolutely gorgeous!  Great job!  Can't wait to see it finished.  I would tend to keep the binding black but you could do her favorite color on the back somewhere.  Will you piece the backing or buy the extra wide backing fabric.  You should check them out.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Points 2,430

Judy & Sheri...thanks for the compliments.

And thanks everyone for your ideas.   Flojo, what do you think of this?  Suprise!

Kathy

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Points 2,430

Marie:

Kathy, this is absolutely gorgeous!  Great job!  Can't wait to see it finished.  I would tend to keep the binding black but you could do her favorite color on the back somewhere.  Will you piece the backing or buy the extra wide backing fabric.  You should check them out.

Thanks Marie!  I will probably be piecing the back so I could use a combination of fabrics.

Kathy

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 7:19 PM

Beautiful that will go nicely with it for the backing :) good job.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,349 Posts
Points 36,950
Linda replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 7:30 PM

WOW! I love this fabric!!!!!! I'd keep the binding black tho! You did a great job on the front. I'm lovin'  your creativity!

You go girl!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 7:31 PM

Kathy

The blue / green fabric is gorgeous.  It would make a beautiful backing but I would use black binding.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Points 2,430

Linda and Nana,

I agree the binding should be black.  Because the quilt top is so wild, I am afraid to use a wild fabric for the back.  But then again, I was crazy to do all the black and white prints, why stop there?

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 8:32 PM

Kathy

I truly think it would be perfect.  Lovely quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use