Top 10 Posters

Twister Quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 25 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 100
gma25 posted on Sun, Oct 23 2011 1:48 PM

I just ordered a "Twister" template.   Has anyone used this?   If so, what size quilt would one  layer cake package make?   Thanks.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 50
bcg replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 2:42 PM

I just made one and it measures 46" by 60".  It was a lot of fun to make.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875

I have made one wall hanging Twister wreath with the Lil Twiter tool and one Twister quilt with the large Twister tool. You can see them on my Gallery.  I am working on another quilt with the Lil Twsiter now. Then, will do one that is bit different. Two half sqaure triangles sewn together to make the 5 inch block. Then will sew the rows of 5 inch blocks together and add the border. Then cut with the Lil Twister on the usual 5 inch block seams.  I love Twisters.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
13 Posts
Points 335

A layer cake will make a nice throw (46" x 62") before borders.  I have one ready for two borders.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

I can't wrap my head around how you keep the colors straight when you do a bed size.  I can see the table top, or runner, but the bed size,not so much.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,632 Posts
Points 48,805

Whoa, Sukochi...  you're making 5" blocks out of 1/2 square triangles??  Makes me dizzy trying to picture how that would turn out!  Do you have a picture??  Sounds pretty cool!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,927 Posts
Points 125,065

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
one Twister quilt with the large Twister tool. You can see them on my Gallery

Sukochi, your twister quilts are beautiful. Is the tool easy to use? And are they really necessary for making a twister quilt?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875

Judy T. , yes the tool is necessary. The are easy. At first ,it took a bit of getting used to. You lose 1/3 of the fabric in the block but you have smaller blocks left over after the cutting. You would just have to try it to really understand. I am just having the best time with this.  You can make your own tools with pelxiglas.  I would never know how to even cut it though. Tey are well worth the price for the fun I am having. The ways to use it are endless. I keep coming up with more ideas. Haven't bought the books, Let's Twist, and Let's Twist Again ( I think that is the name of the second one), but, I understand there are lots of ideas in them. Also, on the internet people have posted their quilts and patterns. If you go to Ira Jane Johnson's gallery, she made a Halloween Wall Hanging. It is just so cute. It says "Boo" in twister pinwheels.  There are three sizes now, I think. The Large Twister is for 10 inch layer cakes, the Lil Twister is for 5 inch charm sqaures, and the 2-1/2 inch. Don't know what what that is  for. I have to Large and Lil Twister tools, so far. But, I will get the smallest one.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875

Debbie-do:

Whoa, Sukochi...  you're making 5" blocks out of 1/2 square triangles??  Makes me dizzy trying to picture how that would turn out!  Do you have a picture??  Sounds pretty cool!

Debbie-do, so far it is just a theory in my head. I an working on a Lil Twister now with sashing between the twister blocks. Still piecing the main body of the quilt so haven't started figuring out the sashing yet. But, I will!!

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875

Debbie-do:

Debbie-do, so far it is just a theory in my head. I an working on a Lil Twister now with sashing between the twister blocks. Still piecing the main body of the quilt so haven't started figuring out the sashing yet. But, I will!!

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,632 Posts
Points 48,805

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

Debbie-do:

You're my hero !  :)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,422 Posts
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Tue, Nov 1 2011 11:50 AM

Okay, I have added these to my to-do list too.  I had a 40% off coupon so bought the little twister size for 5" blocks.   Already had the big one but haven't tried it yet.   I tried making my own templates from it by marking some of my smaller squaare rulers but at 40% off, well, how can resist?   I am a Ruler-Holic. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790

where did you get this ruler from?  online??

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875

I got mine online.  I just googled Twister Tools and looked at the sites that had them. My LQS doesn't have them.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790

thanks.  also wondering if someone at the quilt show in houston might have them....

happy quilting!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use