Top 10 Posters

Can someone teach me how to quilt?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 280
charm62203 posted on Sun, Oct 23 2011 10:44 AM

I live in Belleville, IL area and I want to learn how to quilt.  My great grandmother and grandmother were awesome seamstress.  My great grandmother is deceased and my grandmother has Alzheimer.  I could kick myself for not learning from them but I must move on.  I have been w/QCA for 2 years and I am embarrassed to say I have sewn a thing.  I have a phobia quilting and I don't know why.  I go into Joann's every week to look at fabric and wish I could turn them into a quilt.  Now for the really sad part.  I started on a photo memory quilt and haven't gotten past this point.  Any suggestions advice or give up on the dream of wanting to quilt.  I don't own a sewing machine and I am not financially able to purchase a machine at this time so if I decide to take on the quilting journey, I will need to learn to sew by hand.  I am 43 yo and want to learn a timeless hobby but I am willing to put in the work to make it happen.

Okay, I am through rambling, hitting me with your best stitch.

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 11:36 AM

Charm, are you close to a library where you could check out a book on quilting?  See if there is a book with illustrations on hand piecing.  Then just practice for awhile until you feel like you could make a small project.  If you start on something small, it won't seem so overwhelming.  

Good luck :)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,625
abcd replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 11:47 AM

Hi, Charm!

Can you ask JoAnn's if they would let you "sit in" on a beginning sewing/quilting class for just the first lesson?  That would give you a heads up on how to start, as that is what seems to be the most daunting.  Then ask around, and see if someone, somewhere, will let you "borrow" a machine on the week-ends, maybe.  I would if you lived close to me, and I have seen so many women let others borrow their machines when the other person's has broken down. 

Good luck

(I really thing the hardest part is getting to know how to work a sewing machine, like threading the bobbin, setting the tension, threading the machine....)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

Many local quilt shops have beginning quilt classes.  This is the best, in my opinion, place to go.  Not only will you get to meety some wonderful people.  Adult ed in our area also has a beginning quilting class.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 280

I will start calling around on Monday.  Thanks for the advice.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 280

I will call them today to find out when the next beginner sewing class will be held.  Thanks for the advice.

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 280

Hmmm I forget about the library. LOL.  I will have to look into that next week.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,583 Posts
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 12:26 PM

Don't forget to check the "Senior Center".  Many in our area give quilting classes (and you don't have to be a senior to attend), but most of the seniors in the center here do hand quilting.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 12:31 PM

Hey Charm  late welcome to the club. You will love it once you get started. You can get some fairly inexpensive ,machines at  Walmart ,for around 100.00 they have some Brother machines that are really user friendly for a beginner , as right now since they are starting Christmas  layaway ,you could pay for it in just a few weeks. Just a suggestion.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,971 Posts
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 2:08 PM

Charm,

All the advice you've been given is great here. As for a machine.....take someone who has a little sewing machine knowledge with you and hit your local garage sales, second hand stores and pass on your need by word of mouth. You may even find someone who might be getting rid of a machine and looking for a good home for it. I'm sure you'll find something. Good luck with the hand sewing. I have to hand it to you for having that desire. I had it at one time and found it wasn't for me. I'm still looking to some day hand quilt one quilt but piece it by machine. We'll see.

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 280

@Karla, you are so right, I will have to investigate the "Senior Centers", I am sure many of them would welcome someone like me taking an interest in their craft.  This board is so creative and useful.

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 280

@RamonaC I must agree the feedback I have been provided from this forum is awesome.  I will start checking garage sales, second stores and local sewing machine stores for a reasonably priced sewing machine.  As far as the hand sewing, you know what they say, I gotta work with what I have and that would be my hands.  LOL.  Thank you all for your words of wisdom and encouragement during my quilting journey.  I hope to post a pic soon of my progress.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,337 Posts
Points 414,644
gini replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 2:48 PM

hi charm, welcome to the group.   our guild puts on a quilting 101 class for free every year.  check out the local guilds.  some guilds also have cash scholarships for classes they give if you are a member of that guild.  guilds are usually pretty inexpensive to join and a good resource.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,337 Posts
Points 414,644
gini replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 2:59 PM

go to your library and find a book of beginning quilting and one on hand piecing if they have it.   hand piecing is very easy.   when i was learning, i cut out my pieces, and drew a line 1/4 inch from the edge.  i put the two pieces together  and sewed down that line.   your stitches should be about 1/16th of an inch or less long.  you tie a knot  when you begin and when you end the thread.  it's that easy. 

there are a few details that i left out, but if you let us know the specific pattern you want to stitch.  give us the details and i'll walk you through the steps.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,971 Posts
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 2:59 PM

charm,

Can't wait to see what you do! You may even strike that hand sewing bug in me again. Who knows!Good luck on your machine search.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use