Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 362
Points 8,312
Tattinglady Posted: Tue, Oct 27 2009 11:02 AM

I took a class a couple of years ago and we made a few bright color blocks.  I decided I might as well make more and end up with a bright quilt.  Bright it is!!  I have made 30 blocks out of all different bright scraps that I had plus buying a few others, each block a different pattern.  I took my old stand-by book of 501 patterns and chose a different pattern for each block.  I really learned alot doing the blocks which are 10" blocks finished.    When I went to buy the sashing that I wanted, they didn't have enough.  The lady at the store talked me into buying a second fabric for half of the sashings and a white print for the cornerstones.  After sewing the sashing to the blocks, I just got bewildered with it and put it away.  Doing the MQ and reading all the posts has made me want to get it out and get it finished. 

So my question that I need help with is this.  Is the wide sashing better or the more narrow?  I pushed some of the blocks together to take two different pictures.  Please help me decide which is better, wide or narrow. I will appreciate any help you can give me!  The backing and binding will be black with a small white dot.

Picture 1 with wide sashing & cornerstones.

Picture 2 with more narrow sashing and cornerstones.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 11:07 AM

Tattinglady

I like the wider sashings personally but both are very nice.  Do you have a preference?  I also love all your bright blocks.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Nana:

Tattinglady

I like the wider sashings personally but both are very nice.  Do you have a preference?  I also love all your bright blocks.

Nana

We too, I like the wider, but it may look diffrent in person than it does it the pic so you will ultimately know best.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 243,912
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 11:16 AM

tattinglady... for me it is a what pleases me in the look of the quilt.  I was told once that there is a mathmatical equation that you should use for this and i was - "are you kidding"  there is a book they told me about - I wish I could remember the name - I have it but can't find it on my shelf - it is a red book and something about borders...

In looking at your 2 pictures - I like the wider sashing - it is pleasing to my eye... I am not sure why...

I did pull a book off my shelf titles sensational sets and borders and I'll see what it says and let you know -

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 243,912
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 11:26 AM

Okay here is that mathematical rule I was talking about -

This book is tittled Sensational Sets and Borders Sally Schneider Editor - they don't really list an author...

A good rule of  thumbs states that maximum sashing width should not be more then one-quarte of the finished width of the block.  For Example, a 12 inch block should have a sashing no wider then 3 inches (plus seam allowances) Anything wider tends to over power the block...

Minimum width is more flexible, depending on the look you want.  I can range from a mid-width frame of 1 to 2 inches wide for a 12 inch block to a narrow (about 1/2" wide) leaded glass effect.  just be certain that the overall result is in proportion and balanced.

So this is what the experts in this book say...

I still feel that if it is pleasing to you - that is the way you should go - I know I don't usually use a sashing that is larger then 3" which finishes 2 1/2".  I don't think the quilt police will come to your house if you use a smaller or larger set -

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 11:31 AM

Tattinglady

I'm not sure why but in the picture with the wider sashing each individual block seems to  present itself to me more than they do in the pic with smaller sashing.  It may just be the pics.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 875
TracyaR replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 11:40 AM

They both look nice ... however, I think the wider sashing is more pleasing to the eye and showcases the blocks better.  I really like your quilt!!!!

St Pete, FL

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 362
Points 8,312

Wow, Althea, that is heavy thinking!!  Most everyone is liking the wider one which is what I have cut all the sashings that width so I will go with that.  Thanks so much for all of yall's input.  It just seems that you answer quickly everything I have put on and over these days it seems we are getting to be friends.  Thanks again.

Another question I have, what is going to happen to our forum when the MQ is finished?  I will be sad to think it will go away.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 243,912
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 12:00 PM

Tattinglady - we have a lot of new ideas coming in all the time...we have new groups starting and new ideas for groups.

One idea that is coming up is a Dear Jane quilt - I am not sure if you have heard of this quilt but it is really pretty - and we are thinking of starting a group that would do this quilt together and talk about it as we go - help each other with any problems that come up.

We are hoping to have another MQ after this one is done.  we are also throwing around an idea of doing a BOM... all sorts of ideas.

If any of you have any ideas, please let us know.  You can contact QCA Liz, Spudgramma, Sandy H, myself  - or just post an idea and see what is said...

this is our site to build and make the best we can make it...

Now - I have pulled out my F&P complete guide to quilting - do you have this book?  it was my first book on quilting and i call it my encyclopedia - whenever I have a question i fall back to this book. They have charts for everything in this book.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 12:19 PM

Althea

I say we all be major overachievers and do all those great ideas.......I can't wait....

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 243,912
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 12:26 PM

Nana - me too - I love to quilt and love to have partners in my quilting endeavors - talking quilting even from afar is fun and here we can post pictures and get instant feedback - we don't have to wait to go to class or hurry to do something... our own pace...fantastic to me.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 12:29 PM

Althea

Have you ever made a Dear Jane quilt?  I have only seen a couple of pics on different internet sites.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 281
Points 5,145
Maria replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 12:38 PM

TracyaR hi and welcome don't think I've seen you post before.

Tattinglady I'm with everyone else like the wider sashing and love your bright quilt just beautiful. The blocks you chose are beautiful together. Hey I have that book, maybe I can start my own sampler (like I'm not working on enough stuff right now)

Maria

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 243,912
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 12:46 PM

Nana - No I have never made one - i would love to though.  I have had the Dear Jane book by Branda Papadakis forever and just ordered the software for the templates for the quilt to get ready for January when we hope to start on this quilt.

tAloha Andrea brought this to me and I took it up our chain - I hope she doesn't mind my outing her but she should get the credit.  the group is just now in the idea stage... we asked and are going to start it with a January kick off date due to the holidays coming up  -

it might be tough right now to start for some members so we are thinking January but setting it up so that those who want to participate can buy the book / software/ rulers that they might want to use.  I was going to just use the book; I didn't know they had come out with software so have ordered it.

We are going to start a group in the Groups seciton - I am hoping that she will want to take the lead but if she doesn't or if she needs help i will be there along with the other moderators and QCA Liz.

It is a quilt that I want to do - it is just a daunting task to take on by yourself so am looking forward to having others with me.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 281
Points 5,145
Maria replied on Tue, Oct 27 2009 1:01 PM

Hi Thea, didn't you do some kind of tutorial a while back?? I tried to find it so I could see what it was but never found it. Then of course came the talk of the MQ and that was the end of that thought. As far as the Dear Jane isn't that a bunch of small blocks to make a large quilt??? I saw one of the Dear Jane sampler quilts WOW is all I can say.  I guess it would be great to do as a group but what an undertaking for someone without encouragement. I think all the ideas for the future are great, count me in!!!

Maria

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use