Top 10 Posters

Southeast quilting retreat

Page 46 of 66 (977 items) « First ... < Previous 44 45 46 47 48 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 976 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 11:14 PM

Nan:
Do any of you use a GO cutting system? I just bought one today, played with it alittle and seems it will work for me as I have trouble with tremors in hands and do not seem to see straight. I could have gotten Studio version for $100 more but it takes up an entire 4 ft table and it is very heavy. Would have been a better deal but did not have space where I want it to be.

Nan

I don't have a GO system, but I know people that do and they seem to really like them.  You will have to let me know if you like it.  I hate cutting!  I just hate it.  Its my least favorite thing in quilting! Besides cleaning up! LOL

Don't worry about feeling new in quilting - I was so sick for so long- I didn't do any quilting and forgot everything! LOL Seriously, how could I do that!  I thought the famous Ms. Cricket (my black toy poodle) was going to have to teach me to quilt again.

Please do come to the retreat. as Nana says, the beach is calming, and I really think you will be very comfortable around everyone.  Truly I do.  I was shy at first when I joined QCA, but now they can't make me Sit down, Shut up, or nothing!  They will probably suspend my membership for bad behavior. So I don't usually travel at all, and I am doing this, so you will have lots of company.  I can guarantee you will be laughing so much most of the time and learning so much from everyone -it will be a great time. 

Now go learn that GO so you can tell me if its worth the $$, and I can Santa for it. LOL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 374
Points 9,355
Nan replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 11:49 PM

Thanks for all the encouragement. You all are so sweet! Keep me on the list for now. Hopefully I will continue feeling even better and by April may be back to my old self. Still crazy but back to being gutsy. I think it is the medicine that takes away my "just do it" attitude.

I played with my Go alittle tonight and was amazed with the cutting. I need to buy a better table as I just have light weight folding camping type table. But I was looking online at all the die cuts they have..totally amazing. Not cheap but figure I might just splurge and buy a set of basics and then just add to it. As Accuquilt.com has sales and they also sell some at JoAnn's store and online and Nancy Notions online, I could work with coupons and sales. I bought mine on sale at JoAnn's today for sale price I saw at Nancy's online plus I used our 10% JoAnn card and saved more.    I bet by April I will have quite a collection. Might bring it with me just so everyone can play!??

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 12:05 AM

Nan

I would love to have the opportunity to play with the Go system.  I have looked at them alot but just haven't decided to splurge.   I do know that you can sometimes find good deals on the dies on ebay and Amazon.  You might want to check them out.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 12:26 AM

nan, i hope you decide to come.  i have panic attacks, not too much lately, but i know how hard it can be to manage them.  the house is huge if you need alone time, you will be able to get on your own, or go walking on the beach.  or if you need someone to hold your hand, you will find willing hands.   you will be with a great group with a common interest.   you will learn so much and you  will become even better friends with everyone there.   and, oh-my-gosh, the laughing.   i swear i now have a six pack from laughing so hard  every day we were at the retreat.   no laughing now, from you nana,  i have to  hunt for it, but i know there's a six pack under there.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 12:55 AM

Nan,please do not worry aobut being a new quilter ,I've only been doing it just under two years so I'm still consider myself to be a newbie. I will tell you now I have several health issues and have a very difficult time walking and have constant leg pain ,but I'm not letting it stop me .I may not get around well but I give it my best. I know that some of us are former nurses and we can help if needed. I really think you will be fine once you see how downhome most of us are.. LOL  Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 5:53 AM

Hey Nan,     How would you like to try a mini-retreat at my house with just me?  Get your feet wet.  I have the room and it's close to home.  Since you were going to ride with me anyway, you can find out where I live and meet me.  I'm a regular person but a crazy quilter.  Love it and love teaching it.l  It's just a suggestion.  Let me know, we've got lots of time.

Diana in East Tn.  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

Diana:

Hey Nan,     How would you like to try a mini-retreat at my house with just me?  Get your feet wet.  I have the room and it's close to home.  Since you were going to ride with me anyway, you can find out where I live and meet me.  I'm a regular person but a crazy quilter.  Love it and love teaching it.l  It's just a suggestion.  Let me know, we've got lots of time.

Diana in East Tn.  

Hey...I'm in East TN too. I could come over for a day and meet you both! I'm crazy, but fun. :D

Mary

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 6:07 AM

Mary,  We must have been on the same wavelength.  I was just thinking of you and about to make the same invite to you.  Yes, you're  more than welcome and it might make it easier for Nan.  Once you meet a group of quilters, you want to be around them all the time.  A great bunch of people.  I'll let you know and we can make arrangements.  My door is always open, especially for quilters.

Diana in East Tn.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Nan - I have met Diana and she is just a "regular" person.  :o)  I'll vouch for her. We had only "conversed" here and made arrangements to meet at a quilt shop in Sevierville when I was up there last May.  We spent most of the day together hitting quilt shops and checking out places to have a retreat.  You will like her.  I sure did.

Ever since my hubby spent 6 months in the hospital fighting GBS, he gets 'anxious" with certain situations.  He has found that taking a Xanax when he knows he will be facing something that might set off an attack does the trick. Two years ago, we went to a friends Christmas party and he only lasted 20 minutes before he had to leave.  Last year he took a Xanax before we left home and made it through the whole party with no problems.  Have you tried Xanax?

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 9:28 AM

Thanx Marge for the good review.lol   Meeting one person for the first time may put Nan at ease.  Then if we add Mary for a day.  A bit more at ease.   I deal with a hubby who has severe PTSD and he has anxiety attacks.  I know how hard they can be.  DH doesn't mind my going and doing things with my quilting buddies.  He knows I'm a people person and he's definately not.  Hope they take me up on it.  It would be lots of fun.

Diana in East Tn.   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 10:25 AM

Diana and Mary, I think that is just awesome what you are planning, to help Nan  Once she meets you two she will at least know someone for  Best Friends 1t he VB retreat and have some security..  Bless your hearts ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 11:37 AM

That's it Barbara,    Quilters helping quilters.  Anything we can do to help out and make each other feel more comfortable.  I remember the first guild meeting I ever went to.  Nervous and a bit stand offish but soon learned.  Quilters are the best and most helpful people.

Thanks for the compliment.

Diana in East Tn.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 11:55 AM

All right Ladies...Honestly there are no strangers among quilters, well maybe for about 2 seconds.   

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 472
Points 8,795
Darlene replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 1:25 PM

Boy these threads have been chatty.I just got back from Vegas and most of my email is turned off and I had 1537 messages.You guys must be the energizer bunny.I am good with what everyone decides food wise Just point me to the tasks I am to do.One warning don't count DH as a cook unless you want fried bologna and eggs.He can cook but chooses his special bacon or bologna and eggs thrown any which way on the plate NASTY.He is one of those guys who is good at getting others to do for him.Must think he wears a crown lol.

Nan I hope you feel comfortable to join us.I am new to quilting also (2years).These are the only quilty friends I have as quilting is not as big in my area of the boonies I met Thea and Eileen at the Chicago event. this year went to the Mid-West sooo much fun to meet Barbara and mnNancy ,Judy and all their friends It was great to revisit Thea and Eileen again. I am looking forward to this event.A little chuckle for you.I was flying to Vegas and we were 1 1/2 hours from landing when I passed out in my seat.After I came to with an oxygen mask on and feeling better the man beside me gets back in his seat I have another episode .When he finally gets back to his seat he says are you OK now.I just told him on the way home tell them you don't want to sit beside the crazy chick who passes out.He said he would I laughed.We can't worry about what others will think most people are genuine and kind and then there are a few.They are the ones we blow off.When I boarded the plane to come home many asked how I was feeling (so nice).I used to worry what others would think ,my partner has shown me that I will miss so much if I let that get in the way.Long winded but I wanted you to realize that you are not alone .Come and enjoy

Darlene(2many horses) 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 374
Points 9,355
Nan replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 2:32 PM

I mainly do not want to bother any one. I am taking Diana and Mary up on their offer for a mini-retreat. This would definitely help me, and so sweet of them to offer. This issue just came up in last year, prior to that I used to do Home health nursing and go to people's homes all of the place, never worried about getting lost or meeting new and sometimes bizarre people! Did this for over 20 yrs!

Darlene, your airline story was funny, but probably was not so funny at the time. Did you ever know why you passed out???

• | Post Points: 35
Page 46 of 66 (977 items) « First ... < Previous 44 45 46 47 48 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use