Top 10 Posters

Southeast quilting retreat

Page 28 of 66 (977 items) « First ... < Previous 26 27 28 29 30 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 976 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,064
gini replied on Mon, Oct 24 2011 10:52 PM

the last time i was there, a huge hurricaine had just blown through.  we were with my mom and dad.  dad and sam thought it might be fun to see all the damage.   all the traffic was going against us, it was near impossible to find lodging.   the place we were booked at had blown away.  but, "the boys" thought it was just peachy to look at all the storm damage.   dad said, I'll never get the chance to see a hurricaine again, so off we went.  williamsburg was running, it was the only place around geared to run without electricity.  we had a great time.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Mon, Oct 24 2011 11:06 PM

I was in the Outer Banks when a hurricane went thru several years ago.  It wasn't a really bad one so we all just stayed and rode it out.  It was really something to see all the changes in the surf and waves.  And wow could that wind blow.  It was pretty amazing.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,822
Points 248,589
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 24 2011 11:10 PM

Wow GIni,I'm not sure I want to go thru that,its bad enough here with tornados. I do hope we go to Williamsburg one day ,I have not been there and think it would be fun. Gosh when I think about it it seems like a week is just not enough time, I know it will be though .Mostly I just want to meet everyone and sew together . I can hardly wait..barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,822
Points 248,589
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 24 2011 11:24 PM

Nana,i keep staring at the picture of the house and can't believe we are really going to do this. I feel like a kid in a fairy tale..and i get to marry the prince..LOL  Just getting to be on the beach is so exciting. and then to get to do it with new friends,I just can't tell you in words how i'm feeling barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,528
Points 31,105
Diana replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 4:48 AM

I hope we go to Williamsburg also.  I was there once but it was off season but still enjoyed it.  Also went to the Carter Plantation down the road and that was really interesting too.  That was an old plantation and we could go thru the main house.  They also had a troupe of actors that talked and showed you the slave quarters and how they lived.  That part was heartbreaking but but so interesting to hear the history.  I'm a real history buff.  I can trace my family 300 years in the same upstate NY valley.  I have direct ancestors that go back before the Revolutionary War and before.   Can't wait for this trip.  It will really be fun.

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 5:59 AM

Diana:

I hope we go to Williamsburg also.  I was there once but it was off season but still enjoyed it.  Also went to the Carter Plantation down the road and that was really interesting too.  That was an old plantation and we could go thru the main house.  They also had a troupe of actors that talked and showed you the slave quarters and how they lived.  That part was heartbreaking but but so interesting to hear the history.  I'm a real history buff.  I can trace my family 300 years in the same upstate NY valley.  I have direct ancestors that go back before the Revolutionary War and before.   Can't wait for this trip.  It will really be fun.

Diana in East Tn. 

I have always wanted to go to Williamsburg, also. We should make a little day trip for that. I think that is a once in a lifetime oppourtunity for some of us. 

Today is my 42nd anniversary. Have that sleep study tonight. I told DH that I wonder what the tech looks like!!!   jk

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 6:37 AM

Happy anniversary Sukochi. It always helps when you have something  nice to look at lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 986
Points 24,705

Nana:

I was in the Outer Banks when a hurricane went thru several years ago.  It wasn't a really bad one so we all just stayed and rode it out.  It was really something to see all the changes in the surf and waves.  And wow could that wind blow.  It was pretty amazing.

Hurricane Andrew survivor here. We were on the Air Force Base in Homestead. Used to enjoy wind and rain but that cured me. I'm in the mountains of East Tennessee now and still have a problem with wind. I get scared and hide under the covers of my bed with my fur babies! Hubby says he set up a space in the basement that is safe but I told him the comforter on the bed will protect me from falling trees and flying debris. 

I don't know why he is always shaking his head and muttering under his breath as he walks away from me.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 986
Points 24,705

By the way...is this a dry retreat or is a bit of wine allowed? 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 986
Points 24,705

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Have that sleep study tonight. I told DH that I wonder what the tech looks like!!!

Don't bother washing your hair before you go. That goop they put in it to hold the wires is gonna mess it up. Had the study done once and they said I had serious sleep apnea. Tried using bipap machine but couldn't sleep with that on my face. I'll either get over the apnea or wake up dead. :D

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 7:59 AM

Elaine Phillips:
I'm with you, Gini, I am not too finicky about anything.

I can vouch for Elaine.  She's an easy roommate.

Did someone ask if the retreat is "dry?"   Not in your life!  Quilting and Black Russians go together beautifully!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:12 AM

You know, for all a the jokes about quilting with wine and drinks we make.  There really is very little drinking, we are all too busy sewing.  Now chocolate, that's different. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,636
Points 52,400
Ginny replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:16 AM

Mary:
Tried using bipap machine but couldn't sleep with that on my face.

I had a similar problem. The bipap caused me to get a stuffy nose and I couldn't breathe at all through it.  They tried 5 different masks and I couldn't use any of them, so now I sleep at night with 3 liters of oxygen thru a nasal cannula.  I have pretty well gotten over the sleep apnea.  I lost weight and the paralyzed diaphram is somewhat better.  I had the sleep study redone this summer and they said that the only problem they could see now is that I move my legs all the time while sleeping on my back.   ---Well ok, I seldom sleep on my back , it is usually one side or the other. But they want me to keep using the oxygen.   I will say that the oxygen does help my memory.   Let's see---what was I just talking about???  LOL  Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:17 AM

Mary:
Had the study done once and they said I had serious sleep apnea. Tried using bipap machine but couldn't sleep with that on my face.

I have a machine.  The first one I had was much more difficult to get used to.  The mask completely covered the nose.  I have a new one, and it is much quieter and there is this soft sort of a nose plug.  what a difference!  But either way, it has improved my sleep so much!  I no longer worry that I will fall asleep in church, on the road, or at the opera.  Correct that, I still fall asleep at the opera, unless my DH is singing.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,064
gini replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 10:11 AM

Patti:
for all a the jokes about quilting with wine and drinks we make.  There really is very little drinking, we are all too busy sewing. 

patti, you went to bed way too early,    ;  )

gini in north idaho

Page 28 of 66 (977 items) « First ... < Previous 26 27 28 29 30 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use