gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 12:43 AM

Woo hoo!  Debra!

I see you bought a tote to go with it.  Now, you might want to sign up for a retreat too. 

Congratulatons on your new machine.  (It does need a name.)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 12:48 AM

Debra Moore:

"Dances with Border Collies in Davis"

Debra,

Is your tag line a take on the book and movie "To Dance with the White Dog"?

Loved that movie! 

http://www.videodetective.com/movies/trailers/to-dance-with-the-white-dog-trailer/4956

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,412
Points 38,005
Linda replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 12:58 AM

Congrats on the new machine!  A few years ago I got my new baby....an Elna Quilt Dream Pro. She sure intimidated me at first! Now we are best friends and I couldn't live without her. I still have my original BF....a Pfaff Tipmatic. She sits in my bedroom for nights like tonight when I can't sleep. I start piecing at random. She's a good old girl. She is the traveler and goes to retreats, quilt work days, cousin's work shop, etc.

So good luck and enjoy your new baby!

Linda

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,610
Points 52,090
Ginny replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 8:09 AM

I agree threading the machine is different from what I was used to also.  Does your machine have the separate motor that can fill the bobbin while your'e sewing?  I found that intimidating, and once when I tried to fill the bobbin it wound around the stem that holds the bobbin instead.  The motor is so fast for bobbin winding that I had a whole lot of thread on that stem by the time I got it stopped.  It was a pain to unwind it all by hand. LOL      Just keep at it, it does get easier when you get it all down pat.     Ginny

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,618
Points 48,375
Debbie-do replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 9:15 AM

Congratulations to you and CoCo.  As with any new relationship, you must take time to get to know one another. ☺ Take a deep breath, pour another cup of coffee and sit down with the manual (I wish men came with a manual) .  Enjoy the learning curve!  How soon are those free classes??  When I bought my new machine 6 years ago there's no WAY I would have been able to figure it out on my own!  I took a bunch of free classes then started paying for classes which is when the quilting bug bit me!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,412
Points 38,005
Linda replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 9:30 AM

No mine doesn't have the separate motor, but as often as I have to fill bobbins I sure wish it did! But I've had that winding on the stem experience while using my  best friend's industrial machines at her shop. It's really irritating, isn't it? (Especially when my friend laughs at me.) The only problem I have with my machine now is the buttonholer. I still go back to my old standby..she never lets me down.   Linda

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 11:17 AM

Congrats on your Babylock!!!! Let me know how you like it! I can't wait for the opportunity to purchase mine!!!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,618
Points 247,317
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 11:20 AM

Congrats on the new machine... Congrats on getting through your 1st Skype Bedtime story hour!  

Congratulations on the loss of weight and the new wardrobe.  I love sewing and buying clothes...teehee

Have fun!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 1:04 AM

Congrats on the new machine.  I know you will love her.  Have fun.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 9:46 AM

Debra - I'm sooooo jealous! I'm using an old Wal-Mart Brother machine and it's totally useless for quilting anything over a crib size. I had to respond to your post though because I've been looking at both Baby Lock's and Pfaff's. The sewing center where I go sells both and I'd like to get into some machine embroidery, too so I'm very undecided. Congratulations on your weight loss! I've been following the South Beach Diet on line and have managed to lose quite a bit. I still have a ways to go and the girls at work keep telling me to buy some new clothes because mine look like "clown clothes" but, gosh, I hate to spend the money when I still have more to lose ~sigh~. I've promised myself that when I get to goal my reward will be a new sewing machine! I'd love to hear how you like yours as you get to know it better!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 10:26 AM

Debra Moore:
Still glad I have the new BL, but feeling a little let down from the "high" of buying her yesterday.
   Debra, get that manual out and read it.   I have found that if I read the manual through, when I start to do something I will remember seeing it and can look it up.   I know we all think, "I have sewn for years" but there is a learning curve with every new toy.   I also put a post it note on the pages I think I might need to refer to fast,  like how to thread.  Then I keep that manual close til I get use to it.

I have a big brother and and little brother. The diffence is like going from a  Cadillac to an ATV, but both work and both are being used.  Little brother is at the quilting hosue and big brother is in my home sewing room

Don't ever believe that the bobbins are interchangeable.   I even had a dealer tell me Jerome bobbins would work in big brother.   Ha I had one with me and they are not the same size.  In fact I can't use the little brother bobins in the big brother.

Hang in there it will all fall in place,  learning something new is fun although there are a few frustrations.  

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 10:50 AM

Debra M,

Congrats on the new Babylock. I agree with Grammy M. You should get your manuel out and read through it and tag some of the important pages. The machines these days can be very intimidating but, also, loads of fun. It's amazing what they can do. Enjoy the new addition to your family. It won't be long and you'll be a pro with your new Baby.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use