Top 10 Posters

Home Quilting Machines

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
17 Posts
Points 335
J.P. posted on Fri, Oct 14 2011 9:46 PM

I'm looking for a new sewing/quilting machine.  I've looked at so many it's getting confusing.  What kind do you all recommend.  I've been looking at the Janome MC 6500 and the Babylock Quest Plus or Espire.  I'm on a tight budget but I really need to upgrade to a machine with more workspace for my quilting projects.  Thanks for you help. JP

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 295

I stumbled on a Husqvarna Sapphire which has extra wide space to the right of the needle for quilts.  However, I don't care for the way the presser foot automatically raises when you stop in the "needle down" position. This should be a plus, but I find it annoying.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,705 Posts
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 3:39 PM

SvelteCelt:
 However, I don't care for the way the presser foot automatically raises when you stop in the "needle down" position. This should be a plus, but I find it annoying.

You can turn that feature off in the machine's settings. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 65
Sarah replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 3:32 PM

J.P., did you end up buying a new machine yet?  I might suggest that since Janome has now come out with the 7700, an updated 6500, you might ask your dealer if anyone has traded in a 6500 or 6600.  Dealers will usually give you some kind of warranty and they go over the machines thoroughly before they resell them.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,524 Posts
Points 138,853

SvelteCelt:
I don't care for the way the presser foot automatically raises when you stop in the "needle down" position.

That's one of the features I like the best, especially for piecing. You can feed your next block  one right after another. Love my Sapphire for FMQ as well.

Kris, Congrat's on your new machine. I have been so spoiled by the features and stitches that it would be really difficult for me to adjust to another brand.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,705 Posts
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 19 2012 1:09 AM

Thanks Stephanie. That's why I have two Pfaffs. No new features to learn and most of the feet fit both machines.

Top 200 Contributor
364 Posts
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Thu, Jul 19 2012 8:19 AM

A few months ago I had to replace my machine. I went to my local Janome dealer, after doing some research online, and told them exactly what machine I wanted  to look at. They didn't have that machine in stock, but they did have (in their back room) a better model that they sold me for the same price. It was brand new in the box, they pulled it out of the box so I could play with it a little. It was just a discontinued model, but it came with free classes and a 2 year warranty and was the same price I was wanting to pay for the lesser machine. Which ended up being 65% off of the original msrp. My suggestion would be to go in and talk to your local dealer and see what they have to offer. You might be surprised what you find.

Top 500 Contributor
69 Posts
Points 1,235

I bought my 6600 in May from a dealer. It was on sale for 1599, regular price of 1999. He also threw in the quarter inch foot set. I felt that was a fair price. I love the 6600, it is really great for quilting and has a larger throat. Hope you find what you like. Good Luck !

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,561 Posts
Points 118,395

SvelteCelt:

I stumbled on a Husqvarna Sapphire which has extra wide space to the right of the needle for quilts.  However, I don't care for the way the presser foot automatically raises when you stop in the "needle down" position. This should be a plus, but I find it annoying.

I also have the Sapphire and love it. With the 10" throat I can quilt even a king size.  I actually like the needle down - foot raises feature. Especially for applique or chain stitching but I can understand why that might be irritating. I don't know of any way to disable that feature. If you turn on needle down, the pressure foot will raise slightly when you pause in needle down position.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use