Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 10:48 AM

My DH thanks his lucky stars everyday that we have no LQS here and I have to drive 40 miles to the nearest one...but he does wonder a lot about all of the deliveries from UPS and packages that arrive in the mail.  I think I average 20-30 yards per month, at least, sometimes maybe more, sometimes less.  And if I get to actually walk into an LQS, especially if he is not with me, rushing me out the door, I'll easily spend a couple of hundred with each visit.  No need to hang your head in shame, unless it's because you didn't purchase enough of that poor homeless fabric.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 600
mitzs replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 12:54 PM

lol, you are all funny. And now my lqs thinks I am cheap. I can't stop laughing. You guys are the best.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 145
Becky S replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:16 PM

Of course you should not!  Sometimes fabric just hollers so loudly from those shelves, it would be like leaving a starving kitten without a bowl of milk...I am sure it will be beautiful and it will save your sanity someday when the "need" to quilt is with you.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 3:07 PM

The Quilt Daddy:

You need to move so you can get to a LQS. I live about 20 miles from the nearest one and where there is a will there is a way..

QD, I have no problem getting there, the problem lies with getting there with 2 young, rambunctious grandsons in tow.  The LQS would throw all of us out within 10 minutes of our arrival.   My youngest grandson once sat on the floor and unraveled a whole bolt of fabric onto the floor while I was talking to the clerk and deciding how much fabric I was going to need.  I'd rather go shopping by myself and keep my sanity.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 3:54 PM

funny how that works,  my husband and i quit smoking and that money "Pays" for anything we can't justify any other way.  Lately, i just buy it and thats that.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,529
Points 31,110
Diana replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 4:05 PM

Ashamed....no way.  I told hubby I'll stop buying fabric when I hit the amount that covers his hunting and fishing gear, boats, hot rods, etc. over the 43 years we've been married.  He's never said a word about the fabric or sewing machines I buy.   He's a Keeper.

Diana in East Tn.  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

Yes, one day I was putting my fabric onto some organizers and my husband was sitting at the computer.  After a few minutes I realized he was watching me very intently.  I looked at him and he said "you know, you do have a lot of fabric."  I said, "go downstairs and look at your tools and your reloading bench and then come back and say that."  He immediately said "I didn't say that it was too much..."  I haven't heard a word about it since!

If I get out of the quilt shop with 4 yards of fabric, I feel like I am being so very frugal!   Don't feel bad!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 795
Points 12,825
Quiltless replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 8:41 PM

Karla:

My DH thanks his lucky stars everyday that we have no LQS here and I have to drive 40 miles to the nearest one...but he does wonder a lot about all of the deliveries from UPS and packages that arrive in the mail.  I think I average 20-30 yards per month, at least, sometimes maybe more, sometimes less.  And if I get to actually walk into an LQS, especially if he is not with me, rushing me out the door, I'll easily spend a couple of hundred with each visit.  No need to hang your head in shame, unless it's because you didn't purchase enough of that poor homeless fabric.

You "average 20 - 30 yards a month, at least!"  Wow!  I received a JoAnn's gift card for $100 in July and I haven't spent that yet.  I'm definitely still in the "Little League."  I'm very impressed, Karla! 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 8:57 PM

No shame in buying more fabric. I tend to find that the more projects I have been working on it saves from getting bored of the same project or piecing the same blocks over and over again. Always good to break up monotomy. Also 4 yards is really good.

One more thing you just spured your local economy on a little bit now the store that may have been on the brink of not making it can make it a few more days a week a month maybe even longer. :) Good job.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,224
Points 16,470
Susan replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 8:57 PM

Green Monster, I sure can relate to what you said to your DH. Mine finally realized quilting was here to stay and built me a sewing room in our garage, now he does not have to see fabric etc. all over house. And quit mentioning How much I was buying. Susan

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 9:03 PM

We are much poorer but I used to have anice stash till I took a few classes lol and started finishing up my UFO's lol. Now it is very small and will be making a trip to the local store in the next year after finacnes are caught up some more.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use