marking a quilting pattern

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
QuilterClaire Posted: Tue, Oct 11 2011 11:21 AM

I drew my quilting pattern on freezer paper, ironed the piece of paper on my table runner, and sewed on the line, turning the runner as needed. It worked beautifully. The freezer paper tears away easily. I don't know if this method would work for free motion quilting on a bed-size quilt, but it should.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 200

Great idea!  I'm going to try that in a couple days when I get ready to start quilting my latest project...and it's a baby quilt, so I can start small!  Thanks for the great tip!

Jenny

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,261
Points 28,525
Agnes replied on Wed, Oct 12 2011 9:28 AM

I use Glad Press and Seal in the same way as the freezer paper. Then I can see the design over top the fabric for placement.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 5,005

Granny Agnes:

I use Glad Press and Seal in the same way as the freezer paper. Then I can see the design over top the fabric for placement.

Do you have to pin the Press and Seal to the quilt?  If not, and you iron it, does it leave any residue on your top?

"just livin' here at the corner of bobdiggity and awesomeness"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 5,005

.... that should be "bomdiggity"...my hands are being uncooperative this morning.  They better shape up before I get to work to they'll be hell to pay, I tell you.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,261
Points 28,525
Agnes replied on Wed, Oct 12 2011 2:07 PM

Do not confuse Press and Seal with the clear film. Press and Seal has a slightly sticky side that holds fine on the fabric without any special effort. My wording "same as freezer paper" is not true. You wouldn't want to place heat to the plastic film. Wow! What a stinky mess with no doubt ruined quilt you would have. So sorry for that.

Here's what I do: I place the Press and Seal over the pattern I want to repeat and trace with a washable marker. This way if there is any ink transfer it will wash out. If I am tracing a bunch of motifs I place them on a sheet of paper. Otherwise I place them on the quilt as I go. The reason I love the Press and Seal over any paper product is that it is totally pliable. It is one less demon to fight with while I am quilting. After the quilting is done I find it quite easy remove without hassle.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 5,005

Granny Agnes:

Do not confuse Press and Seal with the clear film. Press and Seal has a slightly sticky side that holds fine on the fabric without any special effort. My wording "same as freezer paper" is not true. You wouldn't want to place heat to the plastic film. Wow! What a stinky mess with no doubt ruined quilt you would have. So sorry for that.

Here's what I do: I place the Press and Seal over the pattern I want to repeat and trace with a washable marker. This way if there is any ink transfer it will wash out. If I am tracing a bunch of motifs I place them on a sheet of paper. Otherwise I place them on the quilt as I go. The reason I love the Press and Seal over any paper product is that it is totally pliable. It is one less demon to fight with while I am quilting. After the quilting is done I find it quite easy remove without hassle.

Great!  That makes much more sense and is def something I will try.  It sounds like a real patience saver.  (which I am usually in short supply of)

Thank You  :-)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use