Determining difficulty of a quilt pattern

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 100
ambivalentuser posted on Fri, Oct 7 2011 1:43 PM

Hello.  I've just recently started making quilts... I've already made a simple denim scrap one with just squares and a border (which was easy)... and have a more complicated one i've temporarily shelved which I've pretty well screwed up (I figured if a stitch length of 3 was good, a stitch length of 0 would have to be great - and, as I'm sure you can guess, i effectively cut through the fabric at places doing it; so now I'll need some major rework of it)...

Anyway... I have, however, designed myself about 21 different patterns i think I'd like to make.  But, as a newbie, I don't know how difficult they would be *to* make.

For instance, I have one pattern that is made up of 8 6"-wide concentric circles using 12 arcs each.  So, nearly 80% of the quilt is curved pieces sewed to curved pieces.  The ending size will be 8-1/2' square.

How difficult will it *be* to make a quilt like that? 

I'm using a regular sewing machine that's probably about 40 years old...

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,662 Posts
Points 136,157

Welcome ambivalentuser, I'm sorry but I wouldn't have a clue

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,283 Posts
Points 29,970

ambivalentuser,

Well, I've been quilting about 12 yrs and I still am intimidated with curves/circles. I've done a double wedding ring and some day, would like to make another. That is my extent on curve piecing. Some quilters just love doing curves. I, myself, have stuck to straight line piecing but then I am more of a traditional quilter. You are apparently an "out of the box" type person and a great artist. For me, curve piecing is more for the intermediate and advanced quilters and not for beginners. With that said, you may be one of those piecers who take to curve piecing like a duck takes to water. I would talk to others who have done curve piecing to get their hints and tips like clipping the curves, going slow etc. I'm sure there is a curve piecer lover on here somewhere that will help you out.  Good luck and be sure to share your finished project. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,283 Posts
Points 29,970

ambivalentuser,

Also, I wanted to say welcome!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 7:15 PM

Curved piecing is definitely more difficult! But there are many websites that give tutorials on curved piecing. you may want to check out QNN TV.

I don't know about you but I love a challenge! The harder it is the more I enjoy learning it! Just make sure to take your time and all will work out well!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,914 Posts
Points 420,739
gini replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 10:17 PM

ambivalent user,  welcome.   curved piecing is easy, but takes practice. you just need to pin it to death.   you only need a straight stitch,  take a couple of stitches, stop and turn the fabric,   couple of stitches, stop and rotate the material.  both ends need to be securely pinned so they don't shift and, depending on the size, i pin every half inch or so.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,785

Welcome!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,537 Posts
Points 21,100

Ambivalentuser, welocme to the club. 

Margaret

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,350 Posts
Points 25,270

Welcome, I think everyone has things that are more difficult.  I HATE working with triangles never can get them straight.  My sister HATES working with squares, she claims she can never get the blocks square.  so diffucult or easy is up to what you can handle.  I tried curve piecing.  First time hated it.  Second time someone showed me another way whick for me was better.  Just do what appeals to you and have fun

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 75

Try looking at this attachment you can buy to sew circles.  It might help.  http://www.the-sewing-partner.com/circle-stitch-attachment.html

(I have never tried it; I just remembered reading about them.)  Good luck!

Wendy

Hockley, Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
14,341 Posts
Points 250,052
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 10 2011 1:48 PM

Hi, I don't think curve piecing is any more difficult then straight piecing as long as you have cut the pieces the right size - cutting circular pieces - you have to make sure you have a good 1/4" seam area... I only pin the end of it - not the beginning - I go slowly and pull the piece straight as I am going.  Make sure you have a good template to start with that gives exact measuring... and I have taught beginners to do the double wedding ring - and drunkards path quilts - just takes patience - which is what quilting is isn't it - It taught me patience!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,117 Posts
Points 14,235
Carey replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 9:17 PM

I have done curved piecing from a fons and porter flower pattern was not that hard but arcs and double weddings I would love to try one day. Just a bit intimated to go out there and make a mess of the fabric. 0 stitch length is only used for the free motion quilting btw not the piecing on machines. Normal piecing setting is 2 inches for piecing :)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,895
Sharon replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 11:09 PM

ambivalentuser, you should make several more quilts with straight lines before trying circles. Circles take practice even if you use a circle foot. Circles can also be sewn with a tac taped to your machine and the center of the fabric pushed down over the tac. Only the outer edge of the fabric circle should be under the presser foot. Circles are in the skill level of confident beginner.

Toledo, OH

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Try a test block and see how hard it is and if it measures what your pattern says it should.  Welcome and let us know how it goes.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,914 Posts
Points 420,739
gini replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 12:32 PM

i'm with vivian, but i try several test blocks,  my first two are ususally iffy, by the third one it's  pretty good.  unless i'm low on chocolate, then nothing goes well and it's time to go home

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.