Top 10 Posters

What does your sewing room/space/studio look like?

Page 5 of 29 (426 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 425 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 8:53 PM

This is the bigger picture of the shelves above the table.  I'm really happy with the way the room turned out ... We've got some above couch shelves for fabrics (1 or 2 yards or bigger) and quilt kits, and above the cutting table is various supplies, but the primary purpose of the pink cubbies is that it holds a lot of cut pieces of scraps like 1 1/2 x 3" or 3 x 3", etc.  The closet cubbies hold the pieces that are less than a a yard, but bigger than 6 x 6", and then then the long plastic under bed cubbies in the closet, under the bed, and under the cutting table hold general scraps not cut out yet.  I like to think of the system as a general progression from one place to another ... one more area of appreciation is that the shelve above the hanging cubbies is for projects in process.  It keeps things in mind as to where we are at in the general overall production goals. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,199
Points 24,300

Ann and Ramona I am jealous.  I moved from a house where I had my very own room.  I am thankful for what I have considering the last year and a half.  My own house and NO mortage!!  Small but paid for.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 9:25 PM

Thanks, Elizabeth, Debra and Maggie for the compliments ... believe me it is going straight to my head.    We're trying to keep things progressing ... it is very hard not to buy new fabric for new projects.  We don't have so much money and we live in an apartment so there is a lot of making due.  This was probably the smartest thing we did before even getting the back room (storage) cleaned out - we got a drafting table to sit behind Rich's chair in the living room (across from computer desk).  We had to make a transition so that I could work on quilting without always disappearing from him and the LR he was in watching TV.  I don't like to sit around with nothing to do with our hands.  It really helped to give out a "call" to a few of my quilting friends, especially my sister.  I find it such extremely good luck that people feel a sense of appreciation for passing on their scraps.  I just can't hardly wait until getting to the next handful and the next.  It's like a wonderment of colors and fabric "feeling."  As long as the pieces are bigger than 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" we'll take it!  My grandmother was a quilter until she died a few years ago at the age of 99.  This fabric on the drafting table at this point was from her stash ... feel so honored to have it AND periodically we find a piece we're familiar with that my mother had given to her from her stash (yeah like matching sister and sister jumpers)  *Sigh*  Hey ... who would have guessed my Grandmother was really "HIP" in the 60's!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 310

To anyone with a sewing room/space on the main floor - I'm jealous.   I've been sewing in the semi-finished basement for 40 years.  I had planned to take over my daughter's bed room when she moved out, but before I could move everything, grandbabies started coming and I'm stilll in the basement.  I'm in a major cleaning mode now and I've decided there are some days I should not be allowed in the fabric store.  I have a large box of "What was I thinking?" fabric that will probaby end up at the Goodwill Store!  I'm trying to organize all my stash get it into plastics totes.  My son is building me shelves to store the tubs on - no more moving five tubs to get to the one I need. 

Besides all my quilting "stuff", I make most of my clothing and a lot for the grand kids. Also love making doll clothes too.   I was lucky to purchase a pattern cabinet when our local fabric store remodeled.  It's almost full!  guess I'm a sewing addict, but it's nice to know I'm not alone. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 9:45 PM

Hey, consider me "Good Will". I love ugly fabric and or outdated fabric. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 11:31 PM

Ok ... please excuse me for this post - trying to create my own "logo" I love recognizing your all post by quick familiarity with your signatures!!! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,443
Points 176,243
Marie replied on Sat, Oct 8 2011 10:58 AM

Very nice Ann!

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Ann, I love your quilting studio.  You are so organized.  I share part of our quest room which is also a music oom for DH and a general starage space.  So I have quilting stuff in a few rooms and would love to have more room but for now this will have to do.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,443
Points 176,243
Marie replied on Sat, Oct 8 2011 11:35 AM

Ann, God bless your grandmother!  99 years old and still quilted!  Beautiful stash she had, please show pics of what you make with it.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Sat, Oct 8 2011 11:55 AM

Thanks for the comments.  I am really looking forward to checking email to see if someone has written.  I’ve been a member of QCoA for a little while, but hadn’t been back to check on things like the message board.  There is just so much to be doing.  Roxie if it would make it any easier … we are on the third floor!  Not exactly a main floor, but once you get up here it is nice that there is now stairs.  When my oldest son got divorced he was the last to appreciate me having a guest room (He's now remarried).  But, there were really years between when people would stay over … so at one point about 1 ½ years ago … we just said the bed has got to go!  (We left in a couchJ).  It is nice to hear someone is in a major cleaning mode … that’s something I haven’t tried today.  I liked the idea of tubs for all the scraps – the hard part is that I like to look at what is there … it gives me a feeling of inner peace. 

I think one of the reasons I’m organized is that I haven’t been quilting so long for things to get out of control.  I’m sure some of you are battling long years of collecting – where we’ve only been in it for three.  I was very encouraged to know that all my grandmother had was a relatively small stash of smaller scraps in that she always made use of what she had if not for her personal work, then it would go to with her ladies' group at church.  She didn’t have a large space for all the fabric that passed through her hands at any one time; if it came in it would then next go out and some of what she made came from shirts and sheets.  There is a lot of value talking to people who have quilted for a very long time.  It appears with age comes wisdom AND not so much waste!  How does everything keep their stash from overgrowth?

We’re trying Gramma, we’re trying!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,443
Points 176,243
Marie replied on Sat, Oct 8 2011 12:15 PM

Ann:
How does everything keep their stash from overgrowth?

I have never been able to control my stash but if anyone else besides Ann has......HELP!  Let me know how you do it.......PLEASE!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Sat, Oct 8 2011 12:32 PM

LOLLOL - I'm always looking for pointers!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,575
Points 47,490
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Oct 8 2011 12:51 PM

Marie:

Ann:
How does everything keep their stash from overgrowth?

I have never been able to control my stash but if anyone else besides Ann has......HELP!  Let me know how you do it.......PLEASE!

I have a friend with a 14 year old daughter who is starting to get creative with fabric so I donate to her craft from time to time with pieces that aren't as wonderful as they were when purchased or gifted to me.  Basically, you have to put on the brakes and stop buying so much (yeah right)... sew more or give some away!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sat, Oct 8 2011 12:52 PM

I'm suffering from the same malady.  I'm trying a new cure (aka fabric diet and quilting exercise).  Starting  in Aug of this year I have decided that I will not buy any more fabric AND  I will make 9 baby and/or crib sized quilts, wall hangings, table runners, place mats etc.  You get the idea.  No applique, takes to long. This was interupted by my nephew going into chemo treatement.  So I did go larger, making him a 54 1/2 x 72 1/2 'wallering' get well quilt.  A Wallering quilt is the one you take in the car to keep feet warm, cover with you are sitting in the chemo room getting a little cold or just need some comfort, wad up and use as a pillow to rest your head on the way home........ you get the idea.  Wallering quilts are good for kids to play with, sit on in front of the tv while they eat chips, you get the idea.  Try crazy color combos.......chartreuse & turquoise & halloween purple....... You will have fun if you don't go into drastic withdrawal.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Hey Roxie!  I feel your pain.  I was quilting and working in my basement also - it is a finished space, but still lacked any real sunshine or natural light.  No matter what i did down there in the "dungeon" with respect to lighting, it always fell short.  I have now moved my home office studio upstairs - to the dining room, believe it or not!  I purchased a real nice screen room divider from Pier One and I pull the screen across whenever I'm expecting people over to my home.  Sewing in what used to be the dining room make me keep it much more tidy that I ever did sewing in the basement.  I find it's so lovely to be looking out at the backyard when I'm working on my projects and the natural light is so, so, so much better. 

Insofar as your fabric stash is concerned, you could definitely take a stab at selling it on ebay.  People love to purchase quilting fabrics on ebay.

You're very blessed to have grandchildren - they are my greatest blessing - and one day you'll be working upstairs, I know it!

Kim in Canada

Page 5 of 29 (426 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use