rated by 0 users
This post has 53 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 8:57 AM

scmatz,

I have had problems with all kids of cheap iron, could never bring myself to but the expensive ones.  I currently have an HEC - don't remember where I bought it but it never leaks , steams pretty well and only use tap water.  Now that finances are a bit better, I want to invest in a better one but and reluctant when I read all these post about irons.  Seems to be a hit or miss situation. And if ain't broke......

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 457
Points 7,165
Mz M replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 9:54 AM

Scmatz, I have a Black & Decker iron that I have had for about 23 years. I have never used anything in it but Distilled water and have never had any problems with it. It was a very high end iron in it's day but I don't have a clue about todays irons. I would consider another B&D if it had all the features I wanted. Who knows -this one may last another 23 years. I have done a lot of dressmaking and we all know how much an iron gets used during the quilt making process so it has been well worth the money I spent many years ago on it. Good luck with your search!

Mz M

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 12:07 PM

I own a B & D also, have had it at least 10 years...I have never used distilled water in it and our water is so full of minerals that it is clogged up right now...but I love the iron.  It heats up really quickly and does the job perfectly..  Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I will go and clean it.  I use vinegar to clean it, but I'm thinking about using coffee pot cleaner (our coffee pot clogs up all the time, too, as does the shower head and the ice maker lines).

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65

I love my Baby Lock Shopia,  light weight easy to carry, threads its self, cuts thread, lets you know when bobbin is low, comes with an embroidery attachment.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,224
Points 16,470
Susan replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 12:35 PM

Scmatz, I have a Black& Decker PROfinish 757 that I bought new, at a yard sale for 2 bucks. It has a looong cord thats great for big quilts, never leaks, and I mostly use spring water. I really like this Iron and would recommend it to any one. Its my favorite Iron ever.Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 8:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback on water.  I know back in the day, you were supposed to use distilled water.  I wonder what it is about distilled water that it is no longer recommended.  I'll pick up a gallon of spring water next time I'm at the grocery store.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 8:12 AM

The reason the article gave for not using 100% distilled water is that it can cause the iron to leak and spit.  It suggested mixing distilled & tap water in equal amounts but recommended using purified/spring water.  Once I switched to spring water I noticed a huge difference.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,828
Points 248,709
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 1:01 PM

Sheri, thanks for telling us about the spring water , I'm gonna pick up some next time I go to the store..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 2:15 PM

Sheri A.:
The reason the article gave for not using 100% distilled water is that it can cause the iron to leak and spit.

Yes, I noticed that using spring water is better, too - Once when I went out on a job in the boonies with my archeologist ex-husband that he had to do, and there was a huge group of us, we ran out of water when we camped.  Someone found a spring close by, and everyone (except for  ME)  took a drink from it.  I waited until the next morning, and when I saw that no one else was spitting and leaking, THAT was when I decided spring water was safe.....  :D

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 3:46 PM

Bella:
Yes, I noticed that using spring water is better, too - Once when I went out on a job in the boonies with my archeologist ex-husband that he had to do, and there was a huge group of us, we ran out of water when we camped.  Someone found a spring close by, and everyone (except for  ME)  took a drink from it.  I waited until the next morning, and when I saw that no one else was spitting and leaking, THAT was when I decided spring water was safe.....  :D

HA!!  I love it!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,828
Points 248,709
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 7:57 PM

Bella, ROFL that was good ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Bella, so funny.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 4:21 PM

Bella - that was cute!  I recently bought a Shark Iron at Wal-mart and love it - I used it at the retreat in Iowa and i think all the girls liked it too - I kept having to fill it up with water - and I just used tap water - no leaks and lots of steam and the weight is nice!  I have the purple one - we have the red one at the shop and it is great too - the only difference really between the 2 is how you get it to go to the type of fabric you want it for!  

I have had an Eliso , a Reliable and another expensive one - the name of which slips my mind... (senior moment - Dad said after I turned 50 I was allowed 1 a day - guess this is my 1 for today - I am in trouble - teehee) ... I love the Shark so far the best!  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 4:27 PM

Sewing machines - 

I have a Pfaff 2170- which I love.  It is the 3rd one(sewing and embroideryy) that I have owned - kept going to the next one up - and I have to say honestly that I have had nothing but repair issues with all of them.  This last one was going to become a planter and it is my most expensive - $7500 - but a good friend repaired it for me after the local technician said it couldn't be repaired... I took it on the retreat with me - it does have a very nice stitch!

I have a Janome 6500 - that I absolutely love - it is great for machine quilting as I have 9 1/2" of throat space.  It has a great stitch too.

I have  a brother 270D - which is a very inexpensive machine but has scissors - needle down - free motion - and is an embroidery machine too - great weight to take for classes.  I love it! 

Then I have another Pfaff that I haven't used very much - it is a less expensive one and I didn't like the stitch and only bought it as the price was right and thought I could use it when my other one had to be in the shop - well - after a few years I bought the Janome so now that Pfaff sets in the corner... I should sell it - think I will do that one of these days...lol

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 5:05 PM

I have a Rowenta that I've owned for about 20 years and it's still going strong.  The directions I got with it said NOT to use distilled water.  Since my sewing room is away from a water source, I've always purcashed the gallon drinking water and kept it under my sewing station.

I went through an Oliso stage awhile back.  I bought one -- big bucks for an iron -- and used it for about a year.  In that year, my out-of-state children sent me one for Mother's Day.  I put it up on the shelf and thought no more about it until the one I was using malfunctioned.  The water would run through it almost as fast as I poured it in.  I opened the new one (about September) and plugged it up.  Never could get it to work properly.  The legs that lift it would stick up.  I'd unplug and replug and they would go down. This little dance went on for awhile and I finally called Oliso.  I told them what was happening with  this brand new iron and when I told the guy that I had just taken it out of the box but my children gave it to me for Mother's Day he said, "Well, c'mon lady.  Whattaya want me to do about it now?"  So rude!  I hung up on him and tried calling again the next day with not much better results.  So -- no more Oliso brand anything for me!

I have a little Janome Harmony that works well for classes.  I don't like it for applique classes though because it doesn't have a buttonhole stitch.  It is lightweight and sews like a dream though.

Page 3 of 4 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use