Rotary Cutters?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 38 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
43 Posts
Points 1,265
Kathy posted on Sun, Sep 25 2011 4:43 PM

I discovered I need a new rotary cutter. Does anyone have any advice or preferences, and if you wouldn't mind stating the reason why you choose the cutter that you do? I remember when I first started sewing back in 1985, I didn't have a clue what a rotary cutter was, but I love gadgets, so I bought one that didn't work, and I thought it was something I was doing wrong, so I tucked it away and I still have that one, though it still doesn't turn. I have been inclined to get a cutter with an automatic safety since I tend to not close my blade like I should. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Kathy

Also, could someone explain how I do a search on topics in the message boards? I am sure this topic has been covered, but I am new and can't figure out how to do a search. I typed in the main search, but it doesn't limit the search to the message boards. Thanks

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,454 Posts
Points 176,433
Marie replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 5:42 PM

Kathy, I have the Martelli cutter and love it.  It saves my wrists, carpal tunnel.  Go to Martelli.com and read all about it.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,686 Posts
Points 120,775

Kathy

For the past two years I've used, and loved, my Friskars rotary cutter. 

Product Details

I saw some great reviews for the True Cut rotary cutter by The Grace Company. So I bought one. Tried it for a couple months figuring I just needed to get used to it. I don't like it. I have trouble controlling it and it seems awkward.

Then I saw reviews for the Martinelli. So I bought one. I only tried this one for a couple weeks. I didn't like it at all. It slips and changing the blade was a nightmare.

I went back to my Friskars and felt like I was picking up a trusted old friend. I really like this cutter. It's easy to hold and control and the blade retracts with a finger touch. For the life of me, why did I think I could do better?

I did try an Olfa where the blade releases when you release your finger. But I found it difficult to keep my finger steady to keep the blade in place. I returned it to the store.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,537 Posts
Points 21,100

I have the olfa rotary cutter and love it.  My 60mm has a safety lock that you use.  I haven't really tried any others except I did use a Fiskers once at a family reunion and I found that to be a pretty good rotary cutter.

Margaret

Top 500 Contributor
Female
128 Posts
Points 2,270
Sherry replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 6:14 PM

I have a couple of Olfas and I recently bought a Martelli. Like them both but the Martelli is giving me issues with the thing that covers the blade. It is probably something I am doing wrong. Never had a problem with the Olfas. Only got the Martelli to save my wrists.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,062 Posts
Points 29,135
Ramona replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 6:19 PM

Kathy

I see you're getting different thoughts on rotary cutters. Here is another. I started out with the Fiskers probably because of the price or that was what a friend used.  Then  when the Olfa changed it's design I switched. Both suit me just fine and have no bad things to say about either. I do use the Olfa now probably 99% of the time. I would say either would do the job. As for the Martelli cutter, I feel bad, but I have never heard of it until today. Can't give any feedback on that one. 

As for the message boards, hope someone can help you out. I haven't been on here that long but I've not seen a way to do a "message board" search.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,686 Posts
Points 120,775

Sheri:

....I recently bought a Martelli. Like them both but the Martelli is giving me issues with the thing that covers the blade. ......

I had the same problem with the Martelli, The blade cover kept sticking. Drove me nuts. I still have the thing but no longer use it.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,812 Posts
Points 43,714
Eileen replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 6:24 PM

Kathy/eemaw5,

You can see what a personal choice this is! I've only ever had Olfa as that was all I could find when I bought my first one, but I'd love to try others.  I think trying out as many as you can before you buy might help (do you have quilting friends with different cutters?).

The only place I've found on here to do a keyword search in the forums is from the home page - look up at the far right corner - it says "search this site" next to the search box just below edit | member logout | customer service...   You can also see if there is a tag (right side, once you've clicked on "message boards" tab) that matches what you want.

Hope this helps & good luck finding the right rotary cutter for you :-)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,686 Posts
Points 120,775

The Quilt Daddy:

Another thing to consider is that most blades are not interchangeable with other cutters so make sure you buy one that is easy to get replacement blades for.

I was able to use the Olfa 45mm blades in my Friskars, True Cut and Martelli cutters. I agree with you that the Olfa blades seem to be the longest lasting although every once in a while I get one that's a dud. But not often. I wait for a 40% off coupon at Joann's to buy the blades.

Not Ranked
Female
43 Posts
Points 1,265
Kathy replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:21 PM

Thank you so much everyone for the advice and quick replies. I don't know another single quilter, so this board in invaluable to me, and I have learned a great deal from reading the posts and forums. I will think about the input from everyone, and see if I can find a shop where I can test some cutters out. I am just starting my very first quilt. It really is relaxing when I get to actually get going. Can't wait to get it done. Thanks again to all who took the time to answer.

Kathy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
425 Posts
Points 9,215
Pamela replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:42 PM

Very true about the blades not fitting all cutters. I have both an Olfa and a Fiskars. I use the Fiskars most. I kept having problems removing the blade when it needed replaced. Finally, my husband pointed out to me that it did not fit around the nut correctly. I had been buying a cheaper replacement blade at Wal-mart and it didn't fit the Fiskars. Won't do that again.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,587 Posts
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:55 PM

I've had both Olfa and Fiskars and have liked them both.  The Fiskar blades fit on the Olfa and I use it most of the time now because the blade automatically retracts and I can lock it.  Not that that really helps with my grandsons (who are 6 and 7) because they are both mechanically inclined and can figure everything out.  In fact, when I forget to lock it, they lock it for me.  The Fiskars locked too, but my 7 yr. old grandson broke the first one I had trying to get the blade out without unlocking it first.  I'd say try them out and get whatever feels comfortable to you.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,213 Posts
Points 24,525

I love my Olfa.  bOUGHT TTHE 45 FIRST THEN THE 60MM.  i USE THE 60 AS THE BLADES LAST LONGER AND IT IS FASTER TO CUT.  mY BLADE LAST A LONGER TIME WITH THE 60MM

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use