thread breakage issues

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 290
jobeard Posted: Sat, Sep 24 2011 6:10 PM

I am having thread breakage issues on my Gammill Vision 18-8.  I've rethreaded the thing about 6 times and since I'm new to longarm sewing (2 months) I'm not sure what else to try.  How do you solve breakage issues?

jo

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

jobeard:

I am having thread breakage issues on my Gammill Vision 18-8.  I've rethreaded the thing about 6 times and since I'm new to longarm sewing (2 months) I'm not sure what else to try.  How do you solve breakage issues?

jo

I would like to know too, I have a slightly use Tin Lizzie 18 and I'm having the same problem. Maybe some of the long arm experts out there can give us some well seasoned advice.

tia

xoxoxo

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 807
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 6:36 PM

Jo, the first time I got my tension out of whack I thought I was going to stroke out. It took a lot of playing with that knob before I got it right again. If all else fails call your dealer. Talk to one of their tecks. They are always very helpful and don't seem to mind a all. They can talk you through almost anything.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 290
jobeard replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 6:39 PM

well m

I'm off and quilting again.  I changed the needle (felt like a slight burr at tip), loosened the tension and put thread conditioner on my top thread.  So it was one of those things that seemed to have done the trick.  So I'll keep going till the next learning opportunity!  Good luck Tia, with your thread breakage issue.  I usually start with rethreading the machine first but this time that wasn't enough! 

Jo

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 6:39 PM

First of all, what type of thread are you using? I recently purchased some Bottom Line thread and had problems with it breaking.  I changed spools and it cleared up.   I have found several things can cause thread breakage. Does your needle have a burr on it? Is it the right size needle for the thread/quilt fabric? Is the needle in your machine correctly? Is your quilt too tight on the frame? Sometimes the type of fabric can cause thread breakage. Guess I've had about everything when it comes to thread breakage but I'm sure there are a couple of things that maybe another quilter can enlighten you on. I do hope it is as simple as one of the issues I've had. It's just a matter of finding which one.  Let us know what ends up working.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 6:43 PM

jobeard,

Oh, I just wanted to mention that I still consider myself new at quilting and I purchased my Gammill Optimum Plus almost 4 years ago. :-) Just don't get to use it enough.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 6:47 PM

jobeard,

So glad it was that easy and as you mentioned, I too have had to re-thread my machine as something gets out of whack.  I had the thread getting caught underneath the spool recently and had to use a spool sleeve to guide it off the spool.  As Joan mentioned, the tension can also be an issue. I don't even want to go there! hehehehe  You can also check to make sure your bobbin is in correctly.  I always use the same thread in the bobbin as I do the top but some use different threads...sometimes that can cause issues.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 9:36 AM

Jobeard,  Just do one thing at a time or you will never know what worked.     How are you putting conditioner on the top thread.  Is that something that came with your machine.

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 2:55 PM

I was doing some thread painting with my Huquevarna and it decided it didn't like Sulky at all after I had quilted almost all of the blocks I needed.... almost all.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 80

There are 3 issues that could cause thread breakage.  Thread delivery (if a spool, the thread needs to come off the side of the spool.  If a cone, the thread needs to come off the top of the cone), needle size and tension.  Also, check your bobbin to be sure the case is clean, even under the tension spring, and the area is free from lint.  Check your bobbin tension to be sure the thread leaves the case in a smooth motion.

I hope this helps you.

Ricci

Superior Threads

We provide happiness in the form of Cotton, Polyester, & Silk Threads.  Sew Superior...... It's Guaranteed!
http://www.superiorthreads.com

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Wed, Sep 28 2011 2:45 PM

RamonaC:
You can also check to make sure your bobbin is in correctly

Not only inserted in your machine correctly , but the bobbin is in the case correctly   If it feeds wrong, it will not work (indigestion, don'tchaknow)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Wed, Sep 28 2011 4:40 PM

Vivian,

So true. Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use