Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 29 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,443
Points 176,243
Marie replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:24 AM

Welcome Shirley!  Here's the block Marlene is talking about, it's beautiful!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:26 AM

Hi,Shirley~ and welcome!~

The very first quilt I decided to tackle (outside of baby panel tied quilts that I did for years) was a pattern that my daughter fell in love with called a "Storm at Sea".  Well, that was 11 years ago, and it is in block stages in the back of my closet, as I get to it about every other month or so.

Anyway, with all the points from the square in a square attached to diamond blocks, I realized right away that it would be tricksy, precious, and I knew I had to get the points right.  So I took a mini- course in "paper piecing" at a sew expo where we GLUED a picture together.  I got the concept, yay! I knew this was the way to do Natalie's quilt, and I planned on finishing it for when she turned 18, that passed, so for her graduation, that passed, for when she turned 21 - got married - 1st and 2nd anniversaries...... in between life has pushed in the way, AND (hanging head in shame) other quilts!

No matter - by now I have gathered books and books, and found out things, such as you must keep the paper sewn into blocks UNTIL you SEW THE WHOLE THING TOGETHER - maybe not always, but for a quilt that has each block filled with biased edges it is the best way.  SO - right now I have about 60 blocks that are sewn this way, and all in a neat little pile. I also found out that the best way to keep the pattern on the paper from changing sizes (as each printing job will do) I did the first job at a printer's on the big map making machines (as they are the most perfect size wise) THEN I STITCH blank stitches with an old needle by "tracing" the pattern onto new paper when I need to have a new set. I just connect the dots later. This way each block has the same exact sizes for each piece of fabric. So I have really learned as I go, and outside that first "gluing" class, I have only read and read (I love Alex Anderson's book!) I will post a picture when I get it done....  It has a heart that pops out in the design, and I have seen so many renditions of this pattern it makes my head spin!

I better stop taking up space here, but I just thought I would share my experience with paper piecing.  So far, so good! And now you know what kind of people you meet on this board! As I mentioned before, WELCOME!  What have you learned about paper piecing?  Anything more than what I have posted here that you can share?  :D    See you around the block!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 3:45 PM

Wow Marie,

That block sure is pretty1

Judylee

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 150

I like paperpiecing.  I'm just finishing a quilt for my daughter for her graduation.  Her favorite flower is a tulip and in the bouquets for her wedding she had orange and purple tulips.  However, the pattern I chose has 22 pieces to it!  I'm to the part where I need to do the binding, and I find myself procrastinating!    Wish I would have chosen an easier patter! 

Lois

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

I love paper piecing, I'm starting a traditional Crossed Canoes. I've always loved this traditional block but cutting those angles just didn't appeal to me.  Found a paper pieced block pattern, enlarged it a little, and I'm off to the races.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 4:41 PM

Welcome, Shirley. I have never done paper piecing and don't really understand the concept. I am going to the Southeasten Retreat in Apr. in Virginia Beach and, Joni will do a class on paper piecing. I am so looking forward to that.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 5:42 PM

Sukochi

I think Toni is doing the class at the Smokey Mtn Retreat.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 6:57 PM

Hi, welcome to the group.  I have done some very basic paper piecing but that's it. I have looked at the star designs and then thats when I get all confused lol. I have done the heart and a few simpler quilt blocks.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 10:04 PM

Hi Shirley, wecome to QCA.   This is a great place to questions answered and get a little help along the way. 

I am currently working on a lap quilt with paper piecing.  I'll have to say that the quilt pattern was not designed for paper piecing, but I was having a lot of trouble with pointless points (LOL)...I am definitely a type A personality and hate it when my blocks are not to my "standards."  So, I drafted the block on EQ and printed it out for paper-piecing and it is working out marvelously now.  It does take a little longer, but the points are perfect and every block is exactly the same size.  BTW, the pattern is called "Hello Kitty" and is basically a snail-trail block made into 4 cats with their tails all wrapped together in the block center.  Here is a picture of the incomplete block (the cats heads have not yet been appliqued on.)

So, don't be afraid of paper-piecing.  It can be very helpful!

Donna B

Winthrop, WA

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 10:21 PM

Donna B:
So, don't be afraid of paper-piecing.  It can be very helpful!

Hi Donna

Love your "snail trail block" that will be made into 4 cats--for a "Hello Kitty" pattern.  It is gonna be really pretty.

I must agree at first I was a complete failure at paper piecing. But I took a second class (years later) and conquered that fear and I am glad I did.  I am still learning it and stick with easy patterns but the results I must say are so well worth it.  It requires me "think" a little more because I am not quite as comfortable with it as sewing a 1/4" straight seam but hey once you get the hang of it --you are flying.  Really it is well worth the effort to learn it.  And this is coming from someone that RAN from the first class and swore off PP forever.

Trust me, You can do the most amazing work in PP.  The points are flawless. You can see Donna's block, it is beautiful.  The points are Perfect. Bravo, Bravo!

Marlene

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 10:49 PM

nice kitty tails donna

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 11:16 PM

I think we're going to get a lesson or two on paper piecing at our Smokey Mountain retreat.  But, of course, I need to have the exchange blocks done to take to the Smokey Mountain retreat.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,443
Points 176,243
Marie replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 11:16 PM

mars92:
this is coming from someone that RAN from the first class and swore off PP forever

Marlene, I can attest to your paper piecing first hand!  I have the lovely block you so graciously made me for my March BD block, it is beautiful!

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 7:59 AM

Hi Shirley,

I recently tried paper piecing and enjoyed the process. Your block looks great! It just goes to show how much paper piecing can help. I am an artist and have trouble translating it to fabric, thank you for spurring my creativity!

Judylee

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 5:41 PM

Marie:
I can attest to your paper piecing first hand!  I have the lovely block you so graciously made me for my March BD block, it is beautiful!

Marie

Thank you so much for your kind words. This was only my second paper piecing block I ever did--so all I can say is if I can do it, anyone really can.  Truly, and I am not the sharpest rotary in class!

Marlene

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use