Top 10 Posters

Purchased quilt squares from yard sale...what to do?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
Denise (denilyn) posted on Thu, Sep 15 2011 4:32 PM

I purchased squares at a yard sale (86 of them); they are 9 patch with sashing...I will include pictures of them so you can see.  I am not sure whether to just go ahead and sew them up and have it quilted or whether to tear them apart and square them up and put sashing back on and then quilt (yikes)?  They are not all square...some are smaller than others.  If I do take them apart how would I square them up without making it look even more funny?   I am fairly new to making quilts so I would appreciate any advice anyone could give or suggestions...thanks so much.  The picture is a little distorted..makes them look a bit elongated...sorry.

The

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,843 Posts
Points 85,675

I love the fabric. It will be such a nice quilt. Go for it.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

I would square them up on the unsashed side, that may make them off centre, your choice.  It will make a beautiful quilt though.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,023 Posts
Points 16,150

Very nice colors, I ma with Quilt Daddy, sew them up. Give credit on your label for where and when you got the blocks!

Judylee

Not Ranked
Female
54 Posts
Points 735
abbey replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 5:23 PM

I also vote sew them up and get it quilted. It will be beautiful!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,009 Posts
Points 19,440

Denilyn - Interesting my SIL bought some squares at a yard sale and I turned them into the Fish Quilt (Dianne's quilt). I posted last week.  The material she bought sewn together is the bright fish and the schools of fish in the center.  They also had white but I took everythin apart, made the squares the same size, deleted the white ans sewed back together, add blue corners and starfish and borders.

Beth

Top 500 Contributor
Female
195 Posts
Points 3,725

If  you really want to square them up and don't want them to look too wonky, I would suggest only removing the sashing and squaring up the 9 patch as a whole. Then put back the sashing and make your quilt. Whatever you decide, be sure to let us all have a look!

Melissa
http://ardeasnest.blogspot.com
"Love isn't what makes the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile."

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

Well.... I know that I would have to tear apart and square, but I am a perfectionist thanks to my mom.  I am trying to follow the Amish rule that only God makes something that is perfect but.....

I think what is mnost important is what makes you happy

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,704 Posts
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 6:43 PM

I think that I would just sew them together and quilt it.  Have fun.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 11:32 AM

Are you purely a traditionalist with your quilting. I know a lot of the new patterns and quilters actually use wonky blocks and patches.  There is a class even taught on how to do it out there in several different stores. I can't remember the correct name of the class or technique. Think of the modern quilter groups they use this stuff all the time that way and same for the whacked stars and quilts by a famous quilter.

Not Ranked
Female
19 Posts
Points 155
Linda replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 11:44 AM

I love the colors.  I would just sew them together and then quilt them.   I once bought an antique quilt top that was pieced together and the pattern on the edges and bottom was not finished.  I just used what was sewn together, triming edges and bottom to square it up.  It became one of my favorite quilt as I could pictures someones elses hands working away as I also worked away.  It was so old that there were stains on it (some I was able to spray and wash out), but it still made a beautiful quilt.  Work with what you have and think of the quilter that spent so much time on the blocks before they became yours.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,297 Posts
Points 414,004
gini replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 3:12 PM

denilyn it really depends on how much time you want to spend on this quilt.  if you absolutely love it, take it apart and fix it right. if you are soso, take a square ruler, square it up inside the sashes, whack them off and put new sashes on.  that will be quicker. .

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
21 Posts
Points 420

I also have some squares that I bought at a garage sale, would love to post and ask for help - how did you attach a picture?  

Good luck with your quilt

Many thanks

Sewonforever

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,422 Posts
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 4:17 PM

Denilyn, I would sew them together as is, maybe offset them in rows so the different sizes aren't so obvious.   Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be great.

Sewonforever, sorry I don't know how to upload pictures to this site either.  Will be glad to learn along with you.

Maggie

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use