Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 37 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,233
Points 239,577
Thea Posted: Mon, Oct 19 2009 5:36 PM

Hi, This is going to be a pictorial tutorial of how I do my bindings... i do not profess to be perfect at this at all just am showing how I do it.

first I am going to show how to cut a bias binding piece - I rarely use bias binding but some one asked me how so am including it here...

first take a square piece of material and cut from corner to corner on the diagonal - if you don't have a square piece of material you can still do it - fold the piece in half diagonally - matching the top - press - cut on that press line...

fold one strip over onto the other and cut your strips to the width that you want your binding - i use 2 1/4"

Line the 2 pieces up as shown - flip the piece on the right over the piece on the left - leave the little triangles hanging 1/4" - sew together

Here is the straight of grain method that I use most often...or cross wise grain line up with one off to the left of your machine and one towards you - matching top and right side - stitch a diagonal line to connect them. remember how you are lining it up here as you will do this again on the last step of the binding method that I use... you don't have to worry about having the right amount - or cutting it the right length

you can chain stitch these pieces together - take the one that is on top now and flip it over so right side is up - lay the next piece on top and sew as before...

clip apart and cut off excess material - like cutting off the extra on the MQ triangles - I leave a 1/4" seam or a little more - not real particular but at least  a 1/4" seam

old iron

Next you need to press the strips in half - wrong sides together - I roll up on a toilet paper roll and secure til I am ready to use.

Now you are ready to start sewing it onto the qullt... i start about 1/3 of the way down on the right side of the quilt... I leave about 10" of the strip hanging - and start sewing as shown.  I sew a 3/8" seam...

when I get to the end I stop about 3/8" from the end - turn the fabric and stitch off to the corner  - a small diagonal seam - I will back tack this and clip the thread...please notice here I do not sew off the edge - i sew at the diagonal to the corner - this secures your miter

fold back

fold forward

Start stitching down the next side - I back tack here too.  stitch all four sides like this - when you get to the last corner - start stitching a little ways and stop and back tack - leaving about 10" or more before you get to the point where you started...

take the piece over to your pressing station now...

fold back each piece and press where the two meet - make a good crease...

see the 2 creases - they form an X

now I go to the sewing machine and the top piece - coming down from the corner that i just sewed - I lay it out right side up - I take the other piece and fold it back a little so I can see both creases - i line them up so they match the top piece - right sides together

I am going to sew this like i sewed the pieces earlier - from the top left corner to the bottom right - so to keep them in place i put pins on the top right and bottom left.  sewing it this way ensures that no one will be able to tell where exactly you started as all your seams will be the same.

next i take out the pins - flip it open and make sure before I cut the material that it fits correctly

I have never had this method not work - I now will clip the extra material off with at least a 1/4" seam and sew the edge closed - i back tack on the start and finish...

Next I press all the way around the quilt - pressing that seam well - I use steam - (new iron)

Next i will pin the corner that i am going to start - the right fabric side gets pinned down and the left on top of it... I stitch this down counter clockwise - this is important to having success...you are going to hand sew counterclockwise... I machine quilt clockwise - I hand sew it down counter clockwise - makes the miter work perfectly 

back side of corner my finger is pulling up where the 2 pieces meet - perfect miter

Front side - perfect miter

I have just a couple last things to say - I use a 2 1/4" strip width and 3/8" seam - my reasons for this are :

I fold the material in half - so if i use a 3/8" seam - on the front there is 3/4" and on the back there is 3/4" which gives you 1 1/2" add to this the 3/4" that are within the seam itself and you add up to 2 1/4" - this is a tight fit and it does take a little to pull the front piece to the back to hand stitch it down - but there are no weak spots for the wear and tear on a binding to happen...

I do not trim away the batting in the seam...

if you want a wider binding strip you have to sew a deeper seam.

This is the way that I do bindings - I am not saying it is perfect in any way - if you like the way you do it - please continue - I am just trying to help anyone that might have a problem...

Thank you for attending my wonderfully witty class today!  LOL

keep quilting!!!

• | Post Points: 200
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 5:38 PM

Althea

Great tutorial

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 202
Points 5,090
Angel replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 5:46 PM

Very nice tutorial.

Have you ever tried to make continuous bias binding? I always mess that up somehow, so I stick to sewing the individual strips.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 6:41 PM

Another great tutorial Thea. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I've never made bias binding before but I do finish like you did in this demonstration.

Thanks again.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 2,524
Pam Schue replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 9:38 PM

Thea, your tutorial was great but it just seems like alot of work. I like your last step....Putting the binding together at the end.    Here is a method by Fons & Porter basically doing the same thing but you only have 2 seams and one cut.  It really works great. 

There is also a formula to figure out how much fabric you need. 

1.    Pick the width of the bias you want ( I like 2 1/4")

2.  Figure out how long of a bias strip you need.   (lenght plus width X 2)  Add 10" for good measure.  Let's say you need 200".

3.  Now you take your 2 1/4 X 200.......450..... this is your sq inches.

4.  Your will need a calculator for this........ Find the sq root of 450.......21.213.....round up to 22

5.  This is the size of the square you will need to start with.

I know it sounds confusing but after you do it a couple of times it really is easy. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,233
Points 239,577
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 9:40 PM

As i said I am not perfect - this was a tutorial I was asked to do - do it however each one of you wants to - this is what works for me and it works perfectly each time - I don't have to worry about twisting or turning - I have perfect mitered corners.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 2,524
Pam Schue replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 9:47 PM

Sorry althea,  didn' t see the other thread. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 10:19 PM

Althea :

As i said I am not perfect - this was a tutorial I was asked to do - do it however each one of you wants to - this is what works for me and it works perfectly each time - I don't have to worry about twisting or turning - I have perfect mitered corners.

I'm with you Althea.  If I have to do a bunch of math, forget it.  I just cut a bunch of strips that I think will be more than enough to go around my quilt  and sew them together.   I don't like to try to remember equations....my memory isn't that good...lol

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,233
Points 239,577
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 11:27 PM

Pam - you have no need to apologize - it is not necessary... I know that there are mathematical equations that you can figure out exactly how much material you need - 

I just do not care to have to do that - I want to know how to do it if I have a couple squares of material - I do it with the pieces of material that I cut off that are extra on the sides of my quilt - that 3" of extra material left on each side...

we all thank you so much for putting up the page that you gave us - there are many that can and will use it - we are very grateful.

I explained my method in an earlier posting on another thread - I was asked to do it with pictures so that it could be better amplified what I do - I tried to show each step so you have something you can look at and see it and then apply it.

If I don't have to do math anymore I don't and believe me I majored in Math in college and have a degree in it and the law... I use them all the time... but for bindings - this is my method - it works every time...

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 80
Points 1,420

Thank you for the class Althea. It was me trying to figure out what in the heck I was doing...the pictures help but it sure seems like a lot of trouble to make bias binding to go around a "U" shaped handle...the regular binding just looks gathered when finished but my friend says I should doing a bias binding so it will be smooth and neat. I guess I will try to do a few the way you do and see if I can get a process down. Once again, thanks for teaching.

Patricia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,233
Points 239,577
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 20 2009 5:10 PM

Patricia - bias bindings work really good on curves - you can stretch the material to fit the direction you want it to go - straight and cross cuts have little give - You will do better with bias for the handles...

and it was actually several people who had requested how to do bindings to keep them from puckering...

I owe Pam a big apology - I was in a terrible mood yesterday - the headaches and the meeting just really ticked me off - and i felt attacked for some stupid reason...She was giving another example of how to do the bias and that is good... we need all the help we can get.

I have tried so many methods and I do try all the new fangled contraptions that come out... I have found that doing my bindings the way I did is the best for me -

Each person should take every piece of information they get and try each one and pick what works best for them.

the top part of my pictoral is how to cut bias strips - there is a way to sew it together and cut it all at one time for a continuous strip of bias binding - that has the seams already done... I tried that one time a long time ago - like the HSTs from the bias square - I did that method a long time ago but don't use it anymore but want to try and give as much information as I can so that all can decide what works best for them.

I am not normally so sensitive and am sorry Pam - I do apologize and thank you very much for your helpful instructions. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 80
Points 1,420
Patricia replied on Thu, Oct 22 2009 12:12 PM

Althea,

Well, I am still glad you did it with pictures cause then I can do it at my own speed and have something to gauge how mine looks and if I am getting there. We all have off days and your are right people should practice all techniques and use the one comfortable to them...Me I just like all the pictures, I know it was time consuming but it really helps. I started working towards that goal last night...we'll see how it finishes up tonight or tomorrow - whenever I have time to sit down with it again.

Patricia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 6:20 PM

Althea wrote the following post at Mon, Oct 19 2009 11:36 PM:

Hi, This is going to be a pictorial tutorial of how I do my bindings ;

Great job Thea .

Will put this in my favorite section.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 5

Thanks Althea!  Your pictures were most helpful.  I kept them right next to my machine as i was sewing the binding and they were a great help.  Thanks for sharing your talent!  Janet

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Tue, Dec 1 2009 7:19 PM

athea, this is a great tutorial,  thanks so much   gini.  

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use