Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 41 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 760
Julie Posted: Sat, Sep 10 2011 2:09 PM

I cut acid-free mat board into 6 x 12 (approx) rectangles and simply wrap fabric (1/2 yard cuts and larger) around the bolts. To hold the fabric on the "bolt" I simply snap a rubber band around the top and bottom. Then, I store them on closet shelves by color...so easy to find what I am looking for. My closet shelves look like a quilt shop.  I know I can buy plastic "bolts" like this but I prefer the mat board -- much less expensive.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 3:14 PM

Hi Julie,    I get acid free comic book boards that are just the right size.  I think they're 7x10 1/2 inch size.  I'm the same as you, much cheaper than those plastic things and work just as well.  I bought plastic coated paper clips to secure the edges and it works fine.  My friends like to come and see my quilt shop...hehehe

Diana in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 6:12 PM

I use the comic book boards as well. I used to bring home empty bolts from the LQS and cut them in half but they add a lot of bulk and take up too much space on my shelves.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,889
gini replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 6:18 PM

i roll my fabric around an 8 1/2 inch x 24 inch ruler, slip the ruler out and store them as flat folds.   when i need to look at a particular color, i just slide the entire stack off the shelf, go through it,  then more ofthen that not leave it sitting until the piles get so huge they're tipping over and i am in peril of being knocked over and smothered by fabric.   but what a way to go.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,452
Points 176,393
Marie replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 6:49 PM

Joanne's is happy to give the leftover fabric boards to me and I cut them in half remove the loose halves and roll my fabric around it.  Totally free and they get to recycle.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,452
Points 176,393
Marie replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 6:50 PM

oops, that should've read I remove the loose halves.  I don't cut the board in half.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 54
Points 735
abbey replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 6:59 PM

Good tips, I'm always looking for ways to be more organized. If only my desire to be as organized for school was as great  as my desire for organization in my sewing space.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 10:56 PM

gini:

i roll my fabric around an 8 1/2 inch x 24 inch ruler, slip the ruler out and store them as flat folds.   when i need to look at a particular color, i just slide the entire stack off the shelf, go through it,  then more ofthen that not leave it sitting until the piles get so huge they're tipping over and i am in peril of being knocked over and smothered by fabric.   but what a way to go.

Gini, that's the same way I store fabric.  I'm forever digging through piles of fabric.  About twice a year I try to organize it, but it never stays that way very long.  LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Sun, Sep 11 2011 6:06 AM

I can never get it organized, and some days, after looking for something, it all ends up in piles. Actually, since I have my fabric now on two rolling shelves it is easier to see it all, but the piece I want is always in the middle or bottom of the stack.

And I can never figure out the best way to organize.  Perhaps I should do it like the quilt store.  First group by type such as batik, flannel, children's, holiday, etc.  And then group by color.  Oh yes, then there is that shelf of UFOs.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010

I use a foam pool noodle that I got at the $ store to transport ironed fabric, blocks and or show & tell projects.  Just cut it to whatever size you need and use a fabric scrap or rubber band to keep secured.  Takes up no space and no wrinkles!  (Don't store long term on these though unless you cover them first - just in case the color bleeds.)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,889
gini replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 8:44 PM

Patti:

I can never get it organized, and some days, after looking for something, it all ends up in piles. Actually, since I have my fabric now on two rolling shelves it is easier to see it all, but the piece I want is always in the middle or bottom of the stack.

at guild, we had a lady give a talk on quiting gadgets.   she had large cloth baskets, the ones you get in fred meyers with the metal frames.    she stacked her flat folds in those with the fold up, so she could see all the fabric.   she uses those stored on end to hold her fabric.  when she needs a fabric, she grabs that basket.  if the fabric is at the bottom she just flips it upside down and the fabric is now on the top. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 10:17 PM

Diana and Kris, where do you get free comic book boards?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 6:52 AM

Hi Nancy

The comic book boards aren't free but cheap.  I get a package of 100 for about $10.  That includes shipping.  That's only 10 cents apiece versus $1.69 each that the plastic ones are.  I think the company is BCW products.  Do a google of comic book supplies and you'll find it.  The boards are certified acid free so the fabric is safe to use with it.  Hope this helps.   If you get a group together, order several packs at a time.  Good Luck

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 2:37 AM

MNnancy:

Diana and Kris, where do you get free comic book boards?

Nancy,

I ordered mine from Amazon.com (100 for $10 like Diana said).  If there's a comic book store near you they might have them. They come in several sizes.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 3,725
Melissa replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 8:43 AM

I use acid free boards I bought online, too. I use the comic book size for a yard or more and cut those in half for pcs 1/4 to 1 yd. Since I had to take the time to fold them anyway, I did so on my self healing cutting mat. It has a ruler on it and i measured the fabric as I went. Then I wrote that on the board. As I use fabric off my "mini-bolt", I change that marking so I always know if I have enough to do a project with each particular fabric.

Melissa
http://ardeasnest.blogspot.com
"Love isn't what makes the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile."

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use