3D Applique/embroidery quilt and 2 other machine embroidery quilts

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,160 Posts
Points 30,375
Ramona posted on Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:46 PM

I need some quilting advice please. I have a friend who is bringing 3 quilts to me this weekend. One is a 3D applique and embroidery quilt and two others are machine applique. I have never quilted anything like these before and need some quilting methods. FYI, she is going to enter these in a quilt show in a week.

I believe just the 3D quilt has batting behind each block but not behind the sashing and borders. I will be adding a layer of batting in the entire quilt when I put it on the frame. I have no idea how to quilt this type of quilt. I know the blocks will need more quilting than to stitch in the ditch. I have purchased Bottom Line thread in the quilt's colors so hopefully my mistakes won't show too bad. As for the other two applique quilts I considered echo quilting with some embellishing in the leaves and flowers. Does anyone have any ideas for  any of these three quilts??  Appreciate any help.

I won't be on this evening  asI need to head to the house to fix dinner. I will get any advice you can provide in the a.m. Here are pictures of the 3D quilt and one of the machine embroidery quilts. The third quilt is the same as the colorful machine embroidery one but in a different color scheme.

Thanking you in advance.

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,160 Posts
Points 30,375

Gini,

You are too funny.

I am doing these on a longarm so I think it makes a difference to do "basting" or if I do "stabilizing".  I had seen where they do stitch in the ditch on the longarm machines to stabilize, if that's the right term here, each block before they do the more intense quilting on the inside of the block. I have done one quilt where I did not "stabilize/baste" and it turned out fine (also from the same lady). At that time I didn't know about the stitch in the ditch process. I guess the bottom line is  I'll be on a time crunch so I was wanting to get permission to skip a step. LOL. 

Thank you!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,160 Posts
Points 30,375

Bettie,

Thank you for your input on this. Guess I'm really getting nervous but I am looking forward to doing the quilts. Guess this is why I haven't jumped in on a business. I hope the finished product is worth putting pictures on here for others to view.  I still consider myself a newbie at longarm quilting. I have a Gammill Optimum Plus and love it but have SO MUCH to learn. This is a great site to gather information. The ladies here like Gina and Nana have so much experience and knowledge.  What type of machine do you have?

I do baste down the sides and, on an occassion, had some problems on the edges. Not so much when doing free motion but with pantographs. I may just give that no side basting a try. At least on the far side of the quilt.  Thanks again for the info. Everything is appreciated!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,689 Posts
Points 419,259
gini replied on Fri, Sep 9 2011 2:35 PM

RamonaC:
At that time I didn't know about the stitch in the ditch process. I guess the bottom line is  I'll be on a time crunch so I was wanting to get permission to skip a step. LOL. 

i've only played on a long arm, but i think the stitch in the ditch on a long arm is'nt needed.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,160 Posts
Points 30,375

Gini,

Thank you much!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi RamonaC,

Beautiful quilts!  Once you have loaded your quilt and everything is already straight, stitch in the ditch isn't a necessity.  I use it when I want some of the piecing to pop but I plan my quilting so that it is secured as I go.  Haven't had any problems so far!

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,160 Posts
Points 30,375

Judylee,

Thank you so much for the info! A relief!

Yes, she does do a good job. These were BOM done at her local quilt shop in Ohio.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use