Does Anyone Else Use a Babylock Ellure or Ellure Plus for FMQing

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
104 Posts
Points 1,780
Bandmama posted on Tue, Sep 6 2011 4:34 PM

I hope know you guys can give me some advice.  I have 1 machine.  I bought it recently and it is a Babylock Ellure Plus.  When I purchased it I was only thinking of sewing and embroidery.  THEN, I got bit by the quilting bug. I totally love my machine.

Here's my issue.  This machine does not easily allow me to bring up the bobbin.  I think it is built that way by design.  I'm working on quilting my first throw and so far I've outlined all of the seams using a walking foot (cause I'm too chicken to FMQ just yet lol).  If I backstitch at the beginning a couple of stitches (which the walking foot page says don't do) then I end up with the bird's nest on the bottom.  If I don't backstitch then the stitches tend to pull up.  grrrrrrrrr. 

What I have found that sort of works best is a trick from my free-motion class.  If I hold the piece still and let the machine stitch several stitches at the beginning in the same place at the beginning and end that seems to hold the ends down without the nest underneath.  Does anybody else have a machine that works like this?  I asked my dealer about it last time I was in and we tried to bring up the bobbin on the shop Ellure Plus and he could not get it to come up either.  If I tug and pull and pull and tug (and hold my mouth just right) several times I might be able to get that little stick of bobbin thread up enough to use my tweezers to then pull it through.  This is not something I'm willing to do each time I start and stop.  I am saving for a second machine someday though :-).

• | Post Points: 80

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170
Verified by Bandmama

Hi Bandmama,

I have the Ellure Plus as well.  I found that with the free motion darning foot (hopping foot) I was able to pull the bobbin thread pretty easily. I usually use tweezers when I quilt but the walking foot is much more difficult, I do agree but trying to back up is not a good idea because it may distort your fabric by pulling in the wrong direction.  The Ellure was my first machine and she still is one of my favorites for piecing, free motion and embroidery.

Judylee

P.S. If you sew straight then when you come back to that seam you can overlap them by a few stitches to lock them in place.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,825
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 6:46 PM
Verified by Bandmama

Bandmama

It also works to start your stitch length at about zero and move it up to the correct length over the space of about 1/2 inch.   This will lock you stitches.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 495
Verified by Bandmama

I just saw your posting, I am glad I did, I am trying ( I say trying) to use my babylock ellegante for pieceing, I was haveing the same problem I was ready to give up and pull out my little sears machine, I had my machine set to auto backstitch and that was what was causing the nest of fabric underneath, I finally figured out how to undo the automatic setting and just manually backstitch if I needed to and I had no more problems, don't know if you have your machine set on auto backstitch but I am pretty sure all of these babylock machines that sew and embroidery, have the same automatic features.  You might check to see if you have yours set up this way,  the manual tells you how.    

• | Post Points: 55

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170
Verified by Bandmama

Hi Bandmama,

I have the Ellure Plus as well.  I found that with the free motion darning foot (hopping foot) I was able to pull the bobbin thread pretty easily. I usually use tweezers when I quilt but the walking foot is much more difficult, I do agree but trying to back up is not a good idea because it may distort your fabric by pulling in the wrong direction.  The Ellure was my first machine and she still is one of my favorites for piecing, free motion and embroidery.

Judylee

P.S. If you sew straight then when you come back to that seam you can overlap them by a few stitches to lock them in place.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,825
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 6:46 PM
Verified by Bandmama

Bandmama

It also works to start your stitch length at about zero and move it up to the correct length over the space of about 1/2 inch.   This will lock you stitches.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
104 Posts
Points 1,780

Thank you both soooo much for your reply.   Judylee I'm really glad to know you use your Ellure Plus for free motion.  That does help me a lot just knowing it can be done lol.  I have the spring darning foot but have not gotten it out yet for this project.

Nana - That is exactly what I was doing to secure my stitches.  Thanks for the confirmation that I'm at least doing something right!

Here is my quilt.  My plan is to put a template of a witch's hat in the solid green blocks, then do something scroll like along the edges.  There are four small solid green blocks in each corner and I'm thinking about putting a fancy letter "W" in each of those.  Any other suggestions/ideas?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
104 Posts
Points 1,780

I guess I need to practice my photo inserting skills along with my quilting - haha.  I don't know where my "Thank" went before the word "you" (probably hiding under the photo what was supposed to be at the bottom).

ETA - nevermind.  I found the "edit" button!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,825
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 9:15 PM

Bandmama

Your quilt is gorgeous. I think your quilting ideas are perfect.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Very nice job, Bandmama!

Your quilt looks great!

Judylee

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
104 Posts
Points 1,780

Thank you both.  I'm really going about this business of quilting backwards.  Last month I took a free motion quilting class at my local shop.  THEN, I made this one.  In a few more weeks I'm going to take a "my first quilt" beginner class lol.  I think the beginner class will make much more sense to me now!

Not Ranked
Female
21 Posts
Points 420

I have a Babylock Ellure, and had primarily used it for embroidery with some making of clothes and mending.  When my "work horse" sewing machine died, I tried to use the Ellure for quilting including FMQ.  Oh my gosh, I can feel your pain, it was awful and I had the same problems that you had.

I ended up getting a Janome Horizon and reverted to using my Ellure for embroidery primarily.  Even when I could get the Ellure to work for short periods of time I was so frustrated! 

Good luck!

Sewonforever

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 495
Verified by Bandmama

I just saw your posting, I am glad I did, I am trying ( I say trying) to use my babylock ellegante for pieceing, I was haveing the same problem I was ready to give up and pull out my little sears machine, I had my machine set to auto backstitch and that was what was causing the nest of fabric underneath, I finally figured out how to undo the automatic setting and just manually backstitch if I needed to and I had no more problems, don't know if you have your machine set on auto backstitch but I am pretty sure all of these babylock machines that sew and embroidery, have the same automatic features.  You might check to see if you have yours set up this way,  the manual tells you how.    

• | Post Points: 55
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,787 Posts
Points 12,965

Nana:

Bandmama

Wow, I had not heard of starting at zero length - thanks for sharing!

Oregon

Top 100 Contributor
Female
962 Posts
Points 19,541

Hi Denise of Oregon

Bandmama:        I'm glad to see this thread on the Babylock Ellure.  I have an Ellure Plus and an Espire.  I just purchased the Ellure Plus this spring and have been trying to learn it's features this summer.  I also had the automatic backstitch on and found that it would nest the thread or bunch the fabric.  I'm piecing a tee shirt, jersey quilt from over 45 shirts my Alaska granddaughter sent me.  It's been a real learning experience.  I have used the blanket stitch, zigzag and quilting marked with a Q or piecing marked with a P for this blanket.  After the initial trail and error trying to familiarize myself with the machine, things have been going fairly well.

I'm looking forward to more hints, help and suggestions.

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 500 Contributor
Female
104 Posts
Points 1,780
Bandmama replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 11:17 AM

Daisey (and all of y'all posting here) thank you!

Wowsa I'm so glad to know I've got some sisters with the same machine.  I love, love, love my new machine and it does pretty much every thing I could ever want.  Then I go off to class with the ladies who have the Ellisimo Gold and some of those other big dog machines and then mine seems like the little budget model lol.  I remember seeing something about an auto backstitch and so when I get time I'm going to do some reading to figure out if that is what I have going on.  I will say that it is much easier to pull the bobbin up with the free motion foot than it is with the walking foot. 

I also just purchased some in the hoop applique from Planet Applique for Halloween.  Not that I've ever done in the hoop applique before but hey, how hard can it be right?  I have done in the hoop zipper bags and love them.

Today we are taking my son to have his Senior photos done (the pretty ones for the yearbook).  They gave us a couple of locations to go and have this done.  Of course the closest location is booked so we have to take a mini road trip and drive NE about 45 miles or so.  I would be crying except there are a couple of quilt shops along the way to stop and visit :-).

Thank you all so much for the replies to this thread.  You are a very helpful and encouraging group!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,787 Posts
Points 12,965

I don't actually have a Babylock Ellure, I have Brother machines - which of course is made by the same company and has the same screens for the most part. 

I've just purchased the latest upgrade for my Quattro which comes with a tablet -- I haven't really figured out how to use it yet - no time as I have several projects that I'm trying to complete this coming week.  Anyone else have a tablet for their embroidery machine?

Oregon

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5
Answered (Not Verified) djudd3 replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:08 PM
Suggested by djudd3

HI CHERYL   I SAW YOUR INFOR ON  BABY LOCK ELLEGANTE  AND I CANT SEEM TO FIND  THE AUTO BACK STITCH TO SHUT IT OFF. COULD IT BE THE AUTO REINFORCEMENT STITCH KEY  IF IT IS IT STILL DOES NOT WORK FOR ME  I AM ALSO HAVING A PROBLEM  WITH  PULLING UP THE BOBBIN  USING THE AUTO  ANY SUGGESTION   THANK YOU DJ

• Filed under:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use