Top 10 Posters

Help! Long thin points (retreat leaf quilt)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy Posted: Mon, Sep 5 2011 4:59 PM

I found a pattern that I thought would work for the autumn leaf blocks from the QCA retreats in Iowa and Washington.  The pattern is from Quiltmania #79 (fall 2010, pg 59).  In the picture where you see the bowtie blocks, that's where I'd use the leaf blocks we're all making.  The pattern included paper templates which I have made copies of and am currently cutting out of my connecting fabric. (I'm using orange where you see the plain brown.)  I noticed as I'm cutting that the points are very long and thin, and I'm starting to believe that these are going to be difficult to sew onto the blocks.  Do you think this should be paper pieced???  I've never done paper piecing, but I remember hearing people say that it produces nice sharp points.  Is it possible that this pattern would make no mention of paper piecing because it assumes anyone who knows anything would know that it has to be paper pieced???  I've already cut up about a yard of fabric, but I've stopped now and thought I should ask for some advice.  In the photo, you should see three different pattern pieces I've started cutting, 2 white paper-side w/pins, 1 orange fabric-side, and the photo of how the blocks go together.  It's pattern pieces G & H in the diagram around the perimeter of the quilt that I'm most concerned about.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 6:19 PM

Nancy,

paper piecing would definitely make this easier but It can be done just with templates if you are very careful when sewing them together. Hand piecing will also be a good choice for this (at least that's what I would do) since it is also very accurate.

I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice here and lots of help on each retreat.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 6:24 PM

Nancy

From what I can see of the pattern and directions it is not paper pieced.  It really won't be as difficult as it looks  It is somewhat like sewing inset pleats into a skirt.  You will add your triangles onto your block set and then sew everything together.  I would keep cutting those triangles just like you have been doing.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 7:11 PM

nancy, as long as your 1/4 inch seam is precise, you should be fine.   i'm with kris here, though, i would hand piece this for accuracy.   but that's just me.  some folks would do this just fine on a machine.

can you cut some pieces out of cheap material and do a mock up.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,391
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 7:42 PM

Nancy, I love the pattern you picked.  I think that with scant 1/4 inch seam, you will be successful. I don't think it is paper pieced, but if you have some scraps that you can practice on, I agree that would be the best way to go.

Can't wait to see a picture of this one.

Angele

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 7:43 PM

Ooo, two of you are suggesting the task I am the worst at...hand sewing!  Shudder!  I'm willing to give it a try under your tutelage at the retreat.  Thanks for the responses and the advice.  A mock up is probably a good idea.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 7:48 PM

nancy, you can do it with your machine, go for it. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 7:57 PM

Gini, you mean with your machine.  LOL  This is the project I'll be working on at the retreat.  Can't put it together until I get everyone's leaves.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 8:00 PM

Nancy

You will do fine with the machine.  You just start sewing the triangle at the bigger end.  It really isn't hard. And I am with you....I am not hand piecing unless something drastic happens.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 8:38 PM

MNnancy:
Gini, you mean with your machine

oh, right, with my machine.  you'll get lots of help

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use