Top 10 Posters

Fabric Junkies-I need help with this one!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 2,155
Viki Posted: Mon, Sep 5 2011 9:24 AM

Hi all!

I know someone here (or many of you) will know the answer to what I need to know.  We're rehabbing an RV (long story), but I need to get some material, or find some other way, to cover a large piece of high-density foam which will be covering the area my son will be sleeping on.  I would like to be able to take it off and wash it from time to time so it's not out there 365 days a year.  I was thinking something like a big sheet, but I don't believe they come this big.

If you have any ideas on the type of material and/or where I can buy something like this, I would appreciate it.  It'd be extra good if it was a little soft, not like vinyl or something.  The dimensions are 53" x 91" long.  I was thinking probably 4" or 5" foam. 

I know you're all super creative out there and great problem solvers.  If you have any suggestions at all, please let me know!  I appreciate it!

Thanks!

Viki

P.S. The thought even crossed my mind to sew "real" sheets together so there'd be elastic on the corners.  Thoughts?

• | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 150
Susan replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 9:36 AM
I covered a foam mattress from a camper with good knit fabric back and front are different colors.I made one big case sewing all around,then slipped the foam in it and hand stitched the one end together together.When I wash this cover it is easy to removed the whip stitch,pull out the foam and wash the cover. The camping with tents, and floor beds,it gets used a lot with all our grand kids coming together once in awhile. maybe this helps,sorry if it doesn't.... Susan
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 9:42 AM

I think I would buy a california king-size flat sheet and work with customizing it to fit the mattress.  You can bring the corners together loosely and cut the bulk out and sew elastic to   around the corner to make it fit.   One thing to be sure of is to use a mattress pad under the sheet.  The foam is very hot and clammy to sleep on overnight. I speak from experience as I got 5" foam to put on an old hired hands (or daybed) that is in my sewing room for guests to use.......Ginny 

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 54
Points 750
Wendy replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 9:45 AM

HI Viki,

I have done similar as others, by making a duvet type cover which could be removed.  Used buttons across the open end to secure, or you could do a zipper or velcro option.  I used cotton sheets, but as Ginny suggests, would put a layer of somethinng cushy over the pad due to the heat factor. 

Good luck with this!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 9:56 AM

See?  I KNEW you would know what to do!  This is a class C camper and it's for the bed over the front end.  It was completely water damaged when we got it (didn't know though) and my DH had to remove that entire end of the camper.  Exactly one year later and now he has it enclosed and we're talking about what to do with the inside.  He still has more work to do to get that part closed in on the inside and then buy the aluminum (?) sheeting for the outside to waterproof it all.  (That'll be fun...)

I've been looking online for big material and I can find it up to about 108".  I also have to find the foam for the matress part.  I plan on having my son use a sleeping bag or something on top of the foam for coolness and extra softness, but I'm having a hard time finding foam long enough (91").  I'd like to get 4-5" if possible.  I could probably settle for 3" if I had to.

I definitely like the sheets idea.  I guess it doesn't have to have elastic on the corners, just thought that would be easier than making a big "case" for it.  However, the "case" idea might be better.  I don't do zippers yet, so it'll have to be velcro maybe.  I'm not sure if the sheets even run that large.  Like someone said, maybe the CA King size.  Will have to look.  Such fun.  All of the cushions inside need to be reupholstered and redone b/c the person who had it before was an older man, no woman, and everything looks like it wasn't cleaned well or used often.  The colors are very "90s" too.  (Blue and mauve)  Thankfully, the cabinetry is still nice.  The bathroom is a whole other story!  When I'm on my own computer, I'll have to show you all what it looked like before!  Yikes!

Anyway, thank you for the ideas.  Please keep them coming if you think of more.  also, if anyone has ideas for the foam or where I could get something that size, I would appreciate it!

Have a glorious day!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 9:57 AM

Susan,

Do you remember how big the mattress was?  Did it come with the camper?  Do you know where you bought it?

Thanks,

Viki

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 10:11 AM

Believe it or not, there are actually bed sheet dimensions on the internet. (Why am I surprised?  Everything's there!)

The dimensions of a Qn. flat sheet is 90x102 and King/CA King as 108x102.  I think I can probably get by with the Queen size since they're both the same length.  JCPenney is having sheet sets on sale today for 19.99.  Guess I know where I have to go!

Thanks for your help!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 10:12 AM

Richard,

Sorry I assumed we were all ladies here.  I'm new and haven't seen any men on the site yet.

MY APOLOGIES!!!!  :)

Viki

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 10:12 AM

Vickie I wouldn't go with anything less than 4" in the foam.  It just is not that comfortable .  Actually if you can't find it long enough, you can glue an additional piece on the on end.   On my daybed, I have 2 layers of foam.  The bottom one is in 3 pieces that were about large chair size and the top piece is in one piece. so it is all-in-all the depth of a regular thick mattress.    Ginny  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 10:14 AM

Ginny,

Now I get it!  Duh! Fibrofog, sorry (no coffee yet either)!

You're saying to fold over the CA King sheet to make it 54 inches and then just sew 2-3 sides.  Right?  I just caught that when I re-read your message.  So sorry!  That's a great idea!!!   Thanks!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 10:15 AM

What do you use to glue the foam together so it's strong enough not to fall apart with a wiggly 11 year old boy on it?

Thanks!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 10:25 AM

I believe there is a regular glue that you can use on foam.  Sorry that I can't ask my Mom as she is no longer with us.....Ginny  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 10:26 AM

I'm probably jumping in here when I shouldn't as I know nothing about RV's. I was just wondering if you need the Ca King length. The Ca King mattress is 84" and a regular is 80" and you are looking at 91" of foam. Do you have to have the full 91"? Why can't you get the foam at a shorter length, say 75 -80", and use the remaining space for a storage container at the foot of the bed. Putting some type of brace to hold it in place.  Then you could buy sheets to fit. A full is 54 x 75 and a queen 60 x 80.  Just a thought. I see others have given you good ideas for covering the foam. Good luck! Sounds like an exciting project.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 10:40 AM

Ginny,

Thanks for letting me know about the foam glue.  I'm sure someone at JoAnn can tell me what to use. 

I'm sorry about your mom.  I know that my husband often says that he wishes he would've asked his dad more questions and paid better attention when fixing things.  He passed away when he was 52, my husband was only 21 at the time.

Take care,

Viki

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use