Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 5
Points 370
David Posted: Sun, Sep 4 2011 7:56 PM

Hi, I'm David. I'm brand new to quilting. Not a completed project yet, just fooling around with sample blocks. I've appreciated quilts since I'd seen them at the State Fair of Texas as a kid, but when I saw 'Amish Abstractions' at the De Young museum here in San Francisco last year I said wow! I want to do that. Since then I've been obsesively watching Elenor Burns and Fons and Porter on TV, going to quilt shows, looking at books and going online. Only recently found a couple of local classes that work with my schedule, so that's next. I just bought a new Babylock. What a difference! I'm sure I'll be posting a lot of questions. Thanks, all.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 8:02 PM

Welcome David!  It is so nice to see a man interested in quilting.  We do have one resident male quilter, Richard, who's on line frequently.  I'm sure he'll be happy to see that he now has some company.

I'm a fairly new quilter also, was bitten by the quilting bug when I retired and took my old Singer into a fabric shop to have it serviced.  When I saw all of the quilts on display, I said this is something I just have to try.  I now have a few quilts under my belt and my spare bedroom is filled with fabric.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 8:04 PM

Welcome, David. Glad to hear there is another guy who loves this art. and, I believe, that quilting is an art form. The best, of course.

You will certainly learn so much hangin' with all of us. And you are not our only guy so don't feel alone.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,188
Points 15,900
Susan replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 8:16 PM

Welcome David, Hope you enjoy your time with us. The QCA members a re a helpful bunch an d are more than willing to answer all of your questions. If you are interested in online classes Jenny Doan,s Quilting Quickly 1  is a wonderful beginner class. She takes you through each project step by step in her own family owned shop ( Missouri Star Quilt Co.) severel of us members are taking her classes. Once you join you do it at your own pace for as long as you want . Check out her tutorials at MSQC.com and you will get an idea of what to expect. Let me know how you like that Babylock? Enjoy! Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,812
MNnancy replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 8:24 PM

Hi David,

Nice to have you join our group.  I think your plan of watching videos and taking classes will get you off on the right foot.  We're all happy to take a stab at answering any questions you may have - there are some experienced quilters here who are very knowledgeable and helpful as well as plenty of newbies who are going through many of the same experiences you are. 

Karla mentioned another male quilter who is active in our forums, but  we shouldn't overlook Jerry who is quite the craftsman of art quilts which he enters in competitions.  Look for his gallery for some inspiration.

Again, welcome!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 3,725
Melissa replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 9:19 PM

Hi, David. I am new here, too, but loving it. I'd warn you that quilting is quite addictive, but it sounds like you already have found that out!!

Melissa
http://ardeasnest.blogspot.com
"Love isn't what makes the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile."

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 9:32 PM

Welcome David

Hope you enjoy your time with us.  We will be anxiously awaiting pics of that first completed quilt.  Enjoy your quilting.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,959
gini replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 9:41 PM

hi david, welcome to the group and welcome to the world of quilting.   i must say, that  finishing a quilt is overrated.  :  )    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 10:10 PM

Hi David, welcome to qca

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 11:23 PM

David , welcome tot he club, this is a great group of people who all share a great craft, but beware , it does not take long to become a addict ,, myself I'm a fabrichloic .I can't go anywhere without buying at least a FQ  LOL  I hope you will enjoy your time with us ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170

Welcome David,

Your gonna have a blast here!

Judylee

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 281
Points 4,690
Sylvia replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 9:03 AM

Welcome David!  I'm a newbie too.  I know you will love this board.  There are so many knowledgeable people here and will gladly help you with questions or problems. They did me.

Sylvia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to the group and to quilting, David.

Margaret

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,995
Points 64,470
Robin replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 9:08 AM

Welcome David, Melissa and Sylvia

Robin

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 9:16 AM

Welcome David!

You will really enjoy  this site!

I am also a  "newbie" and have found that this is an awesome place with really nice friendly and helpful folks!

Enjoy!!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use