Top 10 Posters

It's Time for MQ V!

Page 51 of 165 (2463 items) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,462 Replies | 89 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,665
Karla replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:41 PM

Great quilt, Annie.  The grandsons are sure to love it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920

Debbie-do:
why not thread baste with water soluble thread!?  Seems like a great solution to having to stop to remove pins as you're quilting!  Your thoughts?

Debbie, that is a good idea.  I guess I will have to order some when I "dare" send out another order.  I get growls whenever quilting shops show up on the credit card bill! - I have ordered fabric twice and rotary blades and sharpener on a third.  That's enough for now!  I'll try the soluble thread NEXT month!  I have at least 5 already basted with cotton so will have to be careful of snagging the threads.  I was quilting with a walking foot and didn't have a problem, but free-motion will probably be a different story.

Thank you for your idea.  I haven't had time to watch the video much - because of our antique internet service - she sounds like she is choking and often sits with her mouth open while my computer is trying to get the video downloaded tiny piece by tiny piece.  I did have luck one morning - people must have been sleeping or working, so I watched 2 lessons without a hitch.  Later in the day, she couldn't get a full word out before more downloading!  This lesson wasn't one I watched.  Guess I should have watched in order instead of jumping around while I had the video actually working!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 1:38 PM

Annie,

I LOVE that quilt!!!  Your grandson is one lucky boy!  I love the bright colors.  I smiled just looking at it.  What are the patterns you used?   They're difficult for me to see.

Do you have the 2nd one done yet?

Lucky little boys!  Can I be your grandson and get a cool quilt too? :)

Take care,

Viki

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,323
Points 27,920

Annie:
My daughter is 25.  I have 2 older daughters.

Annie, You are just a "youngster" to me.  My oldest daughter turned 50 in August and her 2 sisters are not far behind - all one year apart!  The 2 boys are spaced out more, the youngest turns 40 this month.  Now, I am the "old broad".  Also,  to make matters worse, my husband of 51 years has called me "the old lady" since we were married 10 days before my 20th birthday!  We have 2 great-grandchildren and one more on the way.  I need to send a patriotic-type baby quilt to Germany where he is stationed with his wife for about 4 years or so - We won't see this great-grandson until he is about 4 or so with his dual citizenship and multiple languages.  If he is like his father, it will be easy for him to learn languages.  Nick has been fluent in German since he studied it in school and always wanted go to Germany and thanks to the Airforce, he is there and they are seeing the sites on his time off.   

Your grandson is going to love this quilt, especially the 3D back!

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070

To you that are still thread basting, you may what to try opin basting.  I think it is much more stable and easy to take the pins out when you are free motion quilting.  I even pin bast when I am hand quilting.  It is so stable I do not need you use a hoop.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,665
Karla replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 2:19 PM

Whoopee!  I've got all of my pieces for MQ5 cut and am just going to have to be satisfied with the colors, and even if I don't like the colors when it is done, someone will.    Maybe I'll post what I ended up with in a little while.  Right now my dog wants a walk and my husband wants lunch. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 105
Points 2,710

I am soooo dissapointed!  I got a box from the quilt shop and thought it was my fabric for MQ and was jumping up and down until I opened it and it was somebody else's order that they shipped to me by mistake!!!  Rats!  Hopefully mine will be at the house when I get home....

I also ordered the Craftsy Quilting course.  All I know how to do are straight lines, and have used a few of the fancy stitches that my machine does (most need stabilizer...any way around that for a quilt top?).  Can't wait to look at the videos...got it because so many of you all commented that it has been helpful even when you know how to machine quilt.  Thanks.

Hopefully better news tomorrow about my fabric!

Nancy P

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,537
Points 46,655

Annie:

Debbie,

My daughter is 25.  I have 2 older daughters.  I'm an old broad!  Here is my latest quilt for one of my grandsons.  One is 3 and the other is 6months.  They live far from me in VA.  Te great thing about this quilt is that the backing - which isn't done yet is 3-D fish pattered. It came with 3-D glasses too.  I have also added a 5" red stars border after this was taken.

I guess that makes me an old broad too, thanks Annie ;-)  My 'baby' just turned 30... and I had just convinced myself that he got older but I didn't!!  lol  Your grandson is one lucky boy!

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 2:39 PM

Annie, I am presently cutting out the fabric for the same Hoffman 3D fish quilt. I bought the kit. HAving never cut angled strips before, this is an adventure for me.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,665
Karla replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 2:39 PM

My babies are 33 and 35, so I guess that makes me old too!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 2:41 PM

This is great. Love it.

Sukochi

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 5,005

Wow... we ARE a bunch of "old broads". My youngest (son) just turned 29 last Friday.  My middle child (son) will be 31 in March and my oldest (and only daughter) turns 36 this month.  And I turn 52 nine days after her birthday (I know, do the math..)  Yes, I "started" early, but as I get older I'm happier with the age difference.  Hopefully that means I'll be around a lot longer to be with the grandkids and great-grandkids.  My mom is only 68 and loves being the Great Grandma.

We're not getting older, we're just getting more time to quilt!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 2:51 PM

To all,

We are not getting older, just our kids are.  When my oldest turned 29, I thought to myself, boy she's getting old. LOL 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 2:54 PM

Viki,

All the prints I used were purchased about 10 years ago, a quilt I was going to make for a friends baby.  Never did it, but decided to fussy cut the bigger prints and that's what the circular ones are.  Haven't decided how to quilt it yet, but I'm definitely getting lots of ideas from the Machine Quilting On line class I just signed up for from Craftsy. LOVE IT!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 2:55 PM

LaJuan

Love to see a picture of it!

Page 51 of 165 (2463 items) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use