Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today?

Page 4 of 764 (11453 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11,452 Replies | 87 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767
Joyce Brenden replied on Sat, Oct 17 2009 10:37 PM | Locked

Althea :
did you work on a quilt today!

Did some hand-quilting on Bearypatch Learns His ABCs.  I had machine stitched a design in the top and bottom borders, but it wasn't showing up very well, so I decided to redo it.  I'm not very good at hand quilting, but it looks pretty OK.  Played around with the MQ blocks on the design wall and was going to take pictures of the different arrangements, but the digital camera went to Portland with DD for the weekend.

Kissimmee, FL

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,735
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 17 2009 10:44 PM | Locked

Ok ladies I have a question.  If I want to take 2 squares and make a square that  has 4 HST to measure 91/2 in,  what size do I cut my original 2 squares.  I'm having a brain dead moment.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sat, Oct 17 2009 10:49 PM | Locked

Nana:

Ok ladies I have a question.  If I want to take 2 squares and make a square that  has 4 HST to measure 91/2 in,  what size do I cut my original 2 squares.  I'm having a brain dead moment.

Nana

You add 7/8", so square would be 5 7/8" square for a 9" finished block - I think! Remember I thought English not math!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,735
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 17 2009 10:52 PM | Locked

How do I take 2 5inch squares cut them in fourths sew them together and end up with 91/2 in block?  Now I'm really confused.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604
Spudgrandma replied on Sat, Oct 17 2009 10:52 PM | Locked

Angel:

Nana:

I think I have quilted out for one day.

Nana

I think I am well on my way to being DONE for the day. Well I might ...noooo I will pick up my sewing room, before I'm really DONE

As much as you two have accomplished today, I think you deserve a rest!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sat, Oct 17 2009 10:56 PM | Locked

Nana:

How do I take 2 5inch squares cut them in fourths sew them together and end up with 91/2 in block?  Now I'm really confused.

Nana

You want your finished block size to be 9", right? If it were a 4-patch, each block would be 5". When you sewed them together 2 across would be 9.5. Because you want to make HST, you have to cut them 7/8" larger. You cut them in half diagonally and sew them together. It seems to me you should be able to draw a line diagonally from corner to corner, sew a quarter inch on each side of the line, and cut on the line. Whatever you do, you need 4 squares. Put light to dark, draw line, sew, cut, press, put together in a block.

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,735
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 17 2009 11:03 PM | Locked

Judy

sounds right but I think my brain is really fried because I still don't visualize.  I think I just need to go to bed and maybe in the morning the light bulb will come on...LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,735
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 17 2009 11:05 PM | Locked

Told you I am brain dead    I didn't even sign post  ROFLOL

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sat, Oct 17 2009 11:09 PM | Locked

Nana:

Told you I am brain dead    I didn't even sign post  ROFLOL

Nana

You didn't have to because your name is above the message in the post. LOL!

Let me try this again

1. You are going to cut 4 pieces of fabric, we'll say black and white, each 5 7/8" square.
  2. draw a diagonal line from one corner to another on the white
  3. put a white piece front to a black front
  4. sew 1/4 inch away from the line on both sides
  5. cut on the line
  6. press the seam to the black - you have 2 block
  7. repeat steps 2-6
  8. sew 2 blocks together twice
  9. sew the two little rows together to make 1 block that has 4 HST

Gillette, WY

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,639
Shelia replied on Sat, Oct 17 2009 11:13 PM | Locked

Cut out and pieced two small wall hangings today.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Oct 17 2009 11:17 PM | Locked

My gosh what a bunch of busy ladies.  Althea, I blame you for making me sew today.  We had our community cider press today, and it has been very busy, but got everything cleaned up, and watched 20 deer and 17 wild turkeys find the apple scraps, then went to check out the forums.  And you had to ask if we got any sewing done.  I didn't get past your opening comment, and knew I had to sew.  My sewing room is a temporary junk room, so the downstairs could look presentable for our guests, but there was a path to the sewing machine, and my fabrics for the second MQ were there waiting for me.  And I finished them.  My second lieutenate WW II army nurse mother would have been proud of me, except for the junkroom part.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140
Elaine Phillips replied on Sat, Oct 17 2009 11:41 PM | Locked

At 1 AM this morning I was piecing a backing for a quilt. Ready for the LAQ. Went to a quilt show today at the Maple Leaf Festival in Baldwin City, KS. Not a big show, but one lady had a few hand quilted quilts, appliqued, in the show, and she did the tiniest stitches and quilted a quarter inch apart. Fabulous.

Elaine Phillips

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 12:55 AM | Locked

Judy Iliff:
I'm not sure about sitting in front of the sewing machine, but thinking about it does indeed count.

Judy,

thanks for backing me up with the thinking part.

Well I did it. I sewed. I didn't want to come off as a total slacker since I did nothing all week. Plus, after reading all the posts I had to do something.

I made the blocks for the mystery quilt AND I prepared the backing for the baby quilt. Will start quilting tomorrow. My "Inspiration" quilt will be loaded onto the frame.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604
Spudgrandma replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 1:04 AM | Locked

Patti,

I started reading your post, I saw the wild turkey and thought - oh no she started drinking. Then I went back and read it again and decided maybe its been a long day for me LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 1:24 AM | Locked

Patti:
Althea, I blame you for making me sew today

Patti - then I am doing my job as the head of the QCA chapter of the quiltoholics - I am inspiring and motivating people to make more quilts... I love it - and in turn you all are inspiring and motivating me - thank you so much!

I am proud of you too!  2 MQs - that is great and Sandy did a wonderful job inspiring all of us to do the MQ. 

Page 4 of 764 (11453 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use