Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today?

Page 287 of 764 (11453 items) « First ... < Previous 285 286 287 288 289 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11,452 Replies | 87 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 11,987
Judy Johnson replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 6:02 PM | Locked

Eileen:

Judy J., your going bonkers quilt is great fun! So many cat lovers on here - you know people are going to say, "if you don't have a spot for it, I do!" LOL

I like your new avatar -who's with you in the photo?

Eileen, the bonkers quilt is another charity quilt. Four finished and two in progress. Since the guild wanted small qults,  I'm using the opportunity to make up my own patterns and try some new things. I originally planned to do four quilts, and thought I'd get them all done in February. It took a bit longer than I thought, but it's been fun, so I added two more. The deadline is in late April, so I know I'll finish the last two before then.

That's my daughter Jaki with me in the photo. She's 22, working on her BS in Nursing at NMSU, only 300 miles away.

Judy J.

Nambe, New Mexico

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,130
Points 386,912
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 6:14 PM | Locked

Marilyn B:
Kris, I have had that happen many times and it is usually because I have not changed my needle in a while.  When it happens to me I rethread the machine, change the needle and clean out the bobbin area, take the whole thing apart and clean it out. 

Marilyn,

I put a new needle in at the start ans all I've quilted is the top border. I'm going to try cleaning the machine even though this is the first quilt on it since I got it back from the shop.

Marilyn B:
I finally finished the blocks for the Ugly fabric even though the competition is done... What do you guys think?

I really like your quilt Marilyn. Too bad you didn't make the competition. I like your ideas for the border.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 11,987
Judy Johnson replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 6:17 PM | Locked

Marilyn,

Your quilt looks great. The strong lines look really modern. Borders are often difficult to decide on. I often leave the fabric draped on the bed or design wall with potential border fabric for quite a while before deciding. You might try a fabric that is not in the quilt at all, maybe another gray. If you don't need the length, it's pretty good just the way it is, with just a black binding.

Judy J.

Nambe, New Mexico

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,606
Points 117,960
Linny t replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 6:39 PM | Locked

Judy Iliff:

LOL! Any time any of you are in the this part of the world, let me know. We can all come down here and just stare at things. We could even sew a little if you want. LOL! I'm telling you Glenn is a great cook, too!

Judy, this is starting to sound like a quilting retreat...:)

linny t

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,768
Points 420,339
gini replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 6:40 PM | Locked

marilyn,  i think your quilt is beautiful    and the borders sound fine   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 8:00 PM | Locked

Linny t:
Judy, this is starting to sound like a quilting retreat...:)

LOL! It is at that, Linny!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,199
Points 253,527
Thea replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 8:28 PM | Locked

I finished step 1 - whooo hooo - I am going strong now - but done for the night...well maybe - we will see if I get some more energy in a little while.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900
Marilyn B replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 6:04 AM | Locked

Judy Johnson:

Marilyn,

If you don't need the length, it's pretty good just the way it is, with just a black binding.

Judy what a novel idea.  Told DH and he looked at me and went "Ya" why put on borders at all.  So it is no borders just a black binding.  Thanks so much.  Don't know why we thought it HAD to have borders.

Paris, Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,199
Points 253,527
Thea replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 10:10 AM | Locked

Marilyn, All I can say is Wow - that is gorgeous.  I am so sorry that you didn't get it done in time for the judging - I bet the judges would have had a tougher time voting then they already did.  You did an absolutely fantastic job.  I think it works well as a twin size quilt and love that block... very very nice.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 11,987
Judy Johnson replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 2:50 PM | Locked

Here's what I learned in class yesterday, from Jean Biddick. She taught us a technique for very accurate piecing using freezer paper patterns that works well for complex piecing with odd-shaped pieces. I chose the simplest example because I wanted to finish it in one day, and not commit to a another big project. This is a 12-inch block. I don't know if I'll turn it into anything else--maybe a pillow or small wall hanging. I bought the book, and I think I'll try something more ambitious once I get my stack of quilts in progress down below a dozen.

Judy J.

Nambe, New Mexico

• | Post Points: 125
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 2:56 PM | Locked

Very cool Judy.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 3:41 PM | Locked

Judy J

very pretty block.  Is it easier than basic paper piecing.  I will have to check out her book.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,768
Points 420,339
gini replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 3:48 PM | Locked

nice block judy, i'm with nana, is it easier.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,199
Points 253,527
Thea replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 4:48 PM | Locked

Judy - that looks awesome - all the points are crisp.  jean biddick - I will have to look her up and read about her.  I love new things - love trying them all and balancing them in to how I do things.  and that looks awesome.

I finished the binding on Snowmen Trails - now to do some free motion in the big blocks and I am done.  I did the binding ahead of when I would normally do it so I had something to do at my little sewing group.

I was able to make it there and get seated in one of her comfortable chairs... I couldn't move to much but we don't have to move when we are together... I did have to teach her how to finish off a crochet blanket though...teehee... always teaching something - but she came over to me...lol

I called the Dr's office and have an appointment for the 1st of April - they have me on the list for cancellations and she said they will probably be able to get me in before the weekend... she was upset that I hadn't called this morning but told her I didn't think he could see me for this as I was referred for my neck and arms not my lower back - but she said he can - so hopefully we will get an answer on what is going on in my lower back... if it wasn't happening more frequently I wouldn't worry about it so much...

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900
Marilyn B replied on Wed, Mar 24 2010 5:39 PM | Locked

Thanks Althea.  I have wanted to do this block for about a year now and so glad you gave me the push with the contest to finally do it.  I hope I can get involved in the next one.  I bypassed the second mq only because I saw all those triangles and have been having too much fun with the SBS.  Now that this ugly is done well almost done, I hope to start on my nephew's twisted log cabin.  So many quilts so little time.

Paris, Ontario

Page 287 of 764 (11453 items) « First ... < Previous 285 286 287 288 289 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.