Top 10 Posters

I just had a big DUH! moment....................

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,890
Pattie Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011 8:50 PM

I can't believe I'm writing this.....I've only been quilting since March of this year.  Lots of websites, lots of You Tube videos.  Learning  new things.... but one basic thing just hit me.  I had acquired a box of blocks from someone... and I was looking at the construction and it hit me.............Why do their seams look different than mine?  I then went to my sewing machine...looked at the markings,,,, I see the 1/4 inch, the 5/8 inch and the 1 inch.... ok... everything looks fine....Well I've been using my pressure foot to gauge the 1/4 inch which will work if you have your needle in the correct position.....Well for  6 months now.....all of my seams have been 1/2 inch not 1/4 inch......No wonder all my stuff comes ups short......................DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My stuff still looks good.. but my seams are a little bigger than they should be.  Now I know better..........

Pattie

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,327
Points 46,255
Angele replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 9:50 PM

It might be your first DUH but unfortunately not your last... I think we all have some at one time or another.  So I am glad you love what you are doing even though you reduced the size of your quilt. 

Angele

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,773
Points 247,869
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 9:56 PM

Pattie welcome to the wonderful world of quilting ,if that was my only mistake I'd be thrilled ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,355
Nana replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 10:18 PM

Pattie

The first of many DUH moments in the wonderful world of quilting.  As long as your quilt looks good you have won the big battle.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,281
Points 413,729
gini replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 10:24 PM

my life is one long string of DUH moments.  my latest, i wrote a long page of notes to the person who's round robin i was finishing.   told her that she would need to put her quilt on point to balance the colors.  then i put her quilt up on the wall, turned 90 degrees from where i had it earlier and ta da, it was perfectly balanced.

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,023
Points 16,150

Hi Pattie,

You must be a quilter! You quilts still came out fine.  The true test of a quilter is the solutions that she or he comes up with to disguise any boo-boos so no one else sees them!LOL

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 544
Points 3,805
Paula replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 5:15 AM

I did the same thing when I first started...needle had to be in left position for quarter inch!!! We learn new things all the time!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 544
Points 3,805
Paula replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 5:16 AM

DUHHH not left but right position....see I'm still a dunce!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,249
Points 172,978
Marie replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 10:18 AM

Pattie, as long as you were consistent with your 1/2" seam you're golden.  All should've gone together well, that's what Maryellen says.  Forgot her last name but she's a great quilter and a "hoot" to boot!  1/4" is ideal in the quilting world but consistency is the key.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 12:30 PM

Well, duh!  I made a ton a squares before I realized they were not the same size when I first started quilting.  Come to find out, my grandson's favorite pasttime was adjusting the needle position on my machine.  He has since been threatened with certain death if he touches my machine and I have learned to check all of the settings each time I sit down to the machine just in case he doesn't remember my threat.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 12:49 PM

When I first started quilting, I had not ever used a sewing machine and had no clue that the needle was not at 1/4. Well, since ripping more thread then I care to mention, I learned.  Looks like we are in the same club more so then we thought.

Sukochi

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 788
Points 20,025
Carol replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 10:54 PM

Marie:

Pattie, as long as you were consistent with your 1/2" seam you're golden.  All should've gone together well, that's what Maryellen says.  Forgot her last name but she's a great quilter and a "hoot" to boot!  1/4" is ideal in the quilting world but consistency is the key.

Mary Ellen Hopkins ~~ just love that lady!  "It's ok if you sit on my quilt" was one of her books.  She came to the San Antonio Quilt Guild when we had just started, and everyone loved her program and personality too.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,249
Points 172,978
Marie replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 12:20 AM

Thanks Carol, Mary Ellen Hopkins.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 10:17 AM

It was a long time before I was told ( i didn't even realize it myself) that each block needed to be the same size.  Which is why each pattern says square to 8 or 8.5 inches ( or what ever)  it is amazing how flat your quilt will lay if you eliminate all the bubbles and puckers. 

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use