Top 10 Posters

HOW MANY, AND WHICH, QUILT MAGAZINES DO YOU SUBSCRIBE TO? HOW MANY QUILTING BOOKS DO YOU HAVE?

Page 3 of 4 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 51 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 50
Amy replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 1:00 PM

I have many books, all tagged with my "wish list" of quilts to make at some point.

As for magazines, have subscribed to many over the years, kept all the copies, and again, tagged with hopeful future projects.

Currently I get Easy Quilts, or something like that.

Plus, I am all about the patterns, have them also in binders for easy finding.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 1:14 PM

Welcome Amyjojo!  I'm glad that you joined us in this conversation.  Please chat with us anytime!  We hope to learn more about you - like where you're from and what kind of quilting you like to do.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 1:20 PM

I subscribe to F&P Love of Quilting only right now but I will pick up a different magazine occasionally if I find a pattern I really like. I have been drawn to Quiltmaker recently because they show the quilting pattern with the pattern for the quilt itself. I also get Quilt Sampler every quarter when it comes out.

As far as books I have about 15, mostly Judy Martin, books. I love her patterns but I haven't tried to make one yet. They are mostly for inspiration.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 1:45 PM

Speaking of Quilt Sampler, one of our local shops will be featured in the fall issue coming out in about week.  They are very excited, of course, and are having a big party at the shop with lots of goodies for the first 150 customers on September 6.  You can bet I'll be there early, early to line up at the door.  This honor comes to them right after the owner's daughter's purse design was featured on the cover of the summer issue of Stitch.  This shop is doing well and has been in the family for three generations!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,784
gini replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 2:09 PM

welcome amyjojo

i don't get quitler's home i get the one by ricky timms and alex anderson

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 9:12 PM

I love that magazine!  Quilt Life it's called. I pick it up when ever I see it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,325
Points 27,960
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 11:57 AM

Like so many of you, I have too many books and magazines.  I am also cutting down on magazines.  My favorites are McCalls Quilting and Quiltmaker.  Most of the rest will probably be dropped when renewal time comes.  Books are just for inspiration as are the magazines.  I did the Quiltmaker mystery and am looking forward to more of them. (Have'nt posted a picture of MQ4 yet - need time and SUN.  The hurricane gave us lots and lots of clouds but no rain - we have had enough of that for now.  Finally are getting the last of the hay dry and baled today and tomorrow. - then picture time if the sun holds. 

I am a do-it-myself type of quilter.  I draft my own quilt blocks usually - That is why MQ4 took me so long - I DON'T LIKE PATTERNS - it is easier to measure and cut without the hassle of templates and patterns.  Farmer's Wife is the exception.  It is a challenge.  I always resize book and magazine blocks - I don't like 12" blocks.  All I need is a picture and EQ to draft and resize.  I can get a general Idea what the quilt will look like (before my inevitable changes).  I like to combine 2 or 3 blocks no larger than 8" or 9".  I am planning original sampler quilts similar to Farmer's Wife so that our children and grandchildren have original quilts.  I will do Sylvia's Bridal Sampler, Dear Jane and Civil War Diary to learn a few new skills, then try new combinations. 

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 1:12 PM

Marsha,

I am so impressed with your originality and design capabilities. Y our original quilts must be beautiful works of art. I think this is wonderful that you are so talented and not afraid to get right in there.  I have a quilting teacher friend like that.  She even is making her own smaller Twister rulers so she can design some project that will fit on sweatshirts.  You both amaze me.

Sukoch

Sukochi

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 104
Points 1,780
Bandmama replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 1:48 PM

Nancy we have a local shop appearing in this coming issue as well (if you are referring to the Better Homes & Gardens magazine that is).  BIG party here in Texas too.  We will have to compare party notes!  Speaking of BH&G I love this magazine because of the local shop write ups and patterns. 

I'm just starting out and only have 3 or 4 quilting books and probably 20 magazines lol.  Seriously, if I pick it up off the shelf at the store it goes home with me.  I've been reading every thing I can get my hands on I think.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 2:13 PM

If your Library has a used book store, check there for quilt magazines. I used to work at our local Library and the girls call me if any quilt mags are donated. After Lauren, who still works there, get her choice, of course. I have quilt mags all the way back to the late '90's. A great place to look for Quilt books is at the local thrift store. Also read the yard sale lists in the newspaper. I got a bunch of great stuff at this one yard sale. Brand new books, rulers, patterns. It was like Christmas in July.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 2:39 PM

Sukochi, you really got lucky!!  I wish I had the patience to go and search for things like that.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 4:03 PM

Bandmama:
Nancy we have a local shop appearing in this coming issue as well. BIG party here in Texas too.

Is your party on September 6th, too?  I don't regularly buy this magazine, but I certainly won't pass up this issue!  What a nice honor for these shops.  Yes, we'll have to compare party notes.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 104
Points 1,780
Bandmama replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 7:37 PM

Nancy - I had my parties mixed up.  THIS is the big party lol.  The shop in McKinney that is in the magazine is called Happiness is Quilting - no party but autographed magazine copies.

http://theoldcraftstore.com/wordpress/2011/02/quilt-across-texas/

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 2:51 AM

Marsha:
I always resize book and magazine blocks - I don't like 12" blocks.  All I need is a picture and EQ to draft and resize.  I can get a general Idea what the quilt will look like (before my inevitable changes).

Marsha,

I like to draw and re-do blocks in EQ as well. I'm making SBS and the first block I made had bad instructions so I've re-drawn every block. Some were easy because they're already in the library, I traced the appliqué blocks from photos.

When you're ready to work on SBS check out the group here on QCA. There are links to photos of all the blocks made by group members. I'm working on Dear Jane as well.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,325
Points 27,960
Marsha-SM replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 12:01 PM

Kris:
I'm making SBS and the first block I made had bad instructions so I've re-drawn every block. Some were easy because they're already in the library, I traced the appliqué blocks from photos.

Kris,  I have all blocks for SBS in EQ as well.  Printed out each - rotary cutting wherever possible - and am going to wash more scraps today.  That is the worst part of these quilts but after using washed pieces in FWS,  I find the hand-piecing is easier.  The fabric is softer.  Some may need a hair of starch, but most work well just pressed with a little steam.  I'll probably cut out a few blocks soon.  I like to fold the printouts like a folder and put the pieces inside as a kit.  Then whenever I need a portable project the "kits" are ready to go.  I spend too much of my life on the road while we haul cattle, horses, livestock, and Amish "belongings" here and there in a 20' cattle trailer.  Rough riding and slow sewing - because of the rough roads - but I get something done while riding and keeping my "other half" company on his long days.  I also help keep him awake and me more relaxed - except when I have been bounced around too much!  That doesn't relax the back at all!

I plan to do in the order you are all doing in the group.  That is why I printed out all blocks in row order so that I can find the block I want more easily.  Off to the washing machine with my scraps - then the tedious ironiing!.  Some are already washed and waiting, and waiting, and waiting..............  My back hates the ironing board - but time to get at it before I wimp out.

Marsha - Western New York

Page 3 of 4 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use