Top 10 Posters

HOW MANY, AND WHICH, QUILT MAGAZINES DO YOU SUBSCRIBE TO? HOW MANY QUILTING BOOKS DO YOU HAVE?

Page 2 of 4 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 51 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 933
Points 15,760
Marge P replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 1:38 AM

Nancy - I didn't realize Quilter's Home is now out of print.  I joined right from the get go and I loved it.  But....when Mark Lipinski left, I immediately cancelled.  I loved reading his articles, loved his sense of humor and felt he made the magazine.

I have tons of books and 90% of them have been looked at one time which is ridiculous.  I have been successful in not buying books for some time but magazines as well as individual patterns, that is another story.  I used to join crafty book clubs to get the free books and stay in as long as I needed to complete my obligation and then cancel.  Naughty girl!

I subscribe to Quilt, Quiltmaker, Fons and Porter, Easy Quilts as part of QCA, Machine Quilting Unlimited, and due to a snafu on renewing QCA, they are supposed to give me a subscription to McCall's Quilting. I was in the bad habit of ordering all the extra magazines from Quilt (that you can't subscribe to) but I have been good for the past 6 months and ignore the flyers that come in with the magazine.  I love to get magazines in the mail every month or so although to be truthful, I think I have probably used like 5 patterns over the years.

Can't believe it is only 5 more weeks till the retreat in Leavenworth - I have so much to get done - County Fair - Pendleton Round Up - possible cataract surgery for hubby and then all the stuff to do for the retreat.  I will be burning the midnight oil but so what else is new? :-)

Marge P

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,383
Points 360,872
Kris replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 2:28 AM

Not sure how many quilting books I have but I don't purchase them very often. I have quite a few quilt mags but I don't subscribe to any. I've yet to make anything from them and they take up too much space.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 544
Points 3,805
Paula replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 6:35 AM

I have lots of books and magazines. I am only getting the easy quilts now with my QCA. I let all my others go, that economy thing. I save the points on my credit card and use it for free books on amazon, always wait til they are marked down, just got a kitty applique I had been wanting. I also pick books up at thrift stores and I go to the library and check books out. I also have great friends that pick them up for me at yard sales and thrift finds, I think I have enough to last me the rest of my life!!LOL!! Fabric has to be number one priority!!! I also find a lot of it at yard and estate sales, I love going to them. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 6:43 AM

How long does it take for the Easy Qults to start coming?  Probably till the next issue is out..  I can't wait to get that.  I still take McCall's quilting and McCall's Quick Quilts. I would love to get F & P but, with my dh having his knee replacement next week and having that bill, can't afford to buy anymore now.

Sukoch

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
grammy13 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 7:25 AM

This is the first one I have subscribed to. I buy your magazine at Wal-Mart and love it. I wish I know when your program is on TV because I used to watch it all the time. They changed the times and I am not sure which channel it is on now. Love your programing.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 7:26 AM

I had two quilt magazine subscriptions for over three years.  Then I had a rough patch and none so I buy some off newstand occasionally, well I did until my local ACMoore went kaput.  I used to subscribe to quilters world, and fons and porter.  Can't find either on the newstand at walmart now so I will have to suffer with the other quilt mags out there till I get more financially stable.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 8:30 AM

Sukock, I believe Easy Quilts is just quarterly, so yes, the wait for the next issue could be a while.

Gini, if you subscribe to Quiltmania, then you have seen the pattern that I am going to try make work for my leaf quilt - the one I'll need help figuring out the zig-zag seams.  It's on the cover of issue #79, and where you see bow-tie blocks is where I'll put the leaf blocks.  On page 59 you can see how those columns go together.  Does that look tricky to you?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 9:08 AM

I have quilting magazines and quilting books all over the house.  Last summer my daughter found this sale at a book store in Reno and brought home about 20 books for me, all for $1 a piece,  I've looked through all of them, but haven't made any of the quilts, although I've marked several for future projects.  I subscribe to several magazines, Quilters World, Love of Quilting, American Patchwork, Quilter's Newsletter (although this was a freebie that I haven't renewed as of yet), and Quilter.  I use, modify a lot of the patterns, but mostly I like to read them for inspiration.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

What an interesting question.  I'm gazing over at my bookshelf and it looks like I have under 20 actual quilt books and maybe 100 magazines. A good deal of those I inherited from my grandmother so there are magazines that go back to the 1980's. I only subscribe to Quiltmaker and rarely pick up a copy of any other magazine.  I've been making quilts for 20 years and have made hundreds of quilts. I find that there are more than enough free patterns online that provide plenty of inspiration that I couldn't possibly make them all in a lifetime. Also, if you really look at a quilt and see how they're put together, and know the basic shapes, most of them can be made without a pattern.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 10:24 AM

Jen, there are people who sew clothes without patterns, too, but it just isn't me.  Not yet, anyway.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

Nancy, I definitely agree with you. While I can usually figure out a quilt pattern without actually having the directions, I couldn't put together a garment even WITH a pattern.  And I've met folks that can making designer wedding dresses without blinking but think making a quilt is beyond their capabilities.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 6,960
Mz M replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 11:06 AM

Jen - I've been sewing garments since 1965 and I still need a pattern! I don't need the instructions for most things but still need the pattern. I have sewn for a couple of people who are too large for the largest garment pattern made but have used those patterns to make my own to fit them perfectly. Gotta have the pattern! So with all of that said I am never going to be one of those people who  can sew without one.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 11:15 AM

F&P, Quilters World, I can be talked into buying just about anything that promises to teach free motion in simple steps !!  I have several shelves of mags and books.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,355
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 11:18 AM

Jen

A large majority of my quilts are made without patterns too.  I still have to have a pattern for garments not that I make garments much anymore.  Too busy making quilts....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,095
Points 110,085
Linny t replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 11:36 AM

I probably have about 25-30 quilt books.  I only get magazine subscriptions that come with online clubs now.  I really miss some of them, but it was just getting too expensive and like Sukochi says, fabric is the necessity.

Linny T

Page 2 of 4 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use