Top 10 Posters

HOW MANY, AND WHICH, QUILT MAGAZINES DO YOU SUBSCRIBE TO? HOW MANY QUILTING BOOKS DO YOU HAVE?

Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 51 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,851
Points 85,830
Sukochi Posted: Sun, Aug 28 2011 4:58 PM

I have a about 30 quilt books, last count. I only subscribe to two mags right now as the economy has shut me down on the non-essentials. So, fabric is the essential!!

Sukochi

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 110
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 5:11 PM

I have 18 books and subscribe to 3 magazines.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,851
Points 85,830
Sukochi replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 5:37 PM

I took a class from a quilt teacher who had over 100 quilt books. Her huge sewing room looks like two quilt shops merged together. Envy!!!

Sukoch

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,116
Points 29,750
Ramona replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 5:39 PM

I have approximately 100 quilt books and magazines. Can't seem to get rid of anything. There is probably something in every book/magazine that I would like to make. Economy, too, has stopped me from being able to subscribe at this time. :-(

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 8:01 PM

Sukochi

I honestly don't know how many quilt books I have....LOL>  The only magazine that I get at present is Easy Quilts that comes with the QCA membership.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 410

I'd be really interested in which magazines you all like best.  I'm partial to less traditional quilts, and I don't mind if they take a long time.  I'm more into the process than the result.  Any ideas?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 410

I'd be really interested in which magazines you all like best.  I'm partial to less traditional quilts, and I don't mind if they take a long time.  I'm more into the process than the result.  Any ideas?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

I have over 200 books. I am a book junkie. and I try so hard not to buy a book, but it finally wears me down. I currently subscribe to American Patchwork and Quilting, McCalls Quilting, and Love of Quilting, along with Easy Quilts that comes with the QCA membership. But as they come due I am letting them lapse. I am being squeezed by the economy like everyone else. And I am like you, fabric is top priority. Of the mags, I think I like Fons and Porter best.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 9:52 PM

I have a couple of shelves of quilt books.  Haven't counted them.  I subscribe to 5 magazines: Easy Quilts, Love of Quilting, American Patchwork & Quilting, Quiltmaker, and Quilter's Home (which has just gone out of print so subscription will be replaced with Quilter's Newsletter).  I also buy Stitch quarterly - you cannot subscribe to it.

In answer to Simone's question, I think Quilter's Newsletter focuses on more of the non-traditional quilts.

I am probably going to reduce my subscriptions to two or three at the most because I feel really funny when I visit quilt shops and purchase individual patterns.  It probably makes more sense to either buy books, subscribe to magazines, or purchase patterns - not all three.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 10:07 PM

Nancy

I have started buying more individual patterns that I just fall in love with instead of purchasing mag subscriptions.  I will also pick up a single copy of a mag that has something in it that I particularly like.  I have found that it is more cost effective in the long run.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 10:10 PM

That makes sense, Nana.  I will say, though, that if I drop magazine subscriptions I will sorely miss the joy of finding a quilting magazine in the mail once or twice a month.   I haven't made many of the patterns in these magazines, but just looking at them motivates me.

Elaine, will you be bringing a U-haul filled with books to share to the Iowa retreat???

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,489
Barbara replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 10:27 PM

Nancy that is funny ,I just left Elanie and message  telling her we may need a big truck for the retreat.   I subscribe to 4 magazines .at this time . I don't know if I want to give any of them up but they are my favorites . The two from here and then Quiltmaker and  Mccall's Quick Quilts. I have several books  but not  anywhere near what Elaine has , we may have to make her the librarian, for the club..LOL    Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 10:32 PM

I have several books.  but magazines are my downfall. I buy  from the magazine stand usually at my local walmart.  I have a suscription to Love of quilting, quilt, and quiltmaker. as well as easy quilts that comes with the club.  and like Elaine, i like Fons and Porter Best.  :)

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 12:09 AM

oh heavens, my book buying is more out of control than my ufo's.   i subscribe to quilters newsletter, aqs, quiltmania, and machine quilting unlimited.   i buy art books as well as quilting books that i use for quilting.  oh, and kids books, they are a great resource for quilting

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 12:10 AM

and quilter's home and mccall's quilting.  

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use