Making Money

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 95
Points 3,625
elgato15 Posted: Tue, Aug 23 2011 11:43 AM

Was wondering if anyone of you have sold quilts to earn extra money? If you did, did you sell them online, craft show, take orders etc.

Thanks,

Elgato

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 23 2011 12:47 PM

Elgato

I have sold a few quilts to friends but I only charged enough to cover supplies.  Sorry I can't be more help.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Tue, Aug 23 2011 12:51 PM

I haven't sold any quilts, partly because I just don't think they're good enough to sell.  I've given alot away as gifts, and have had requests to make some for sale, but these are cousins who've only seen pictures, not up close and personal, and I'm always afraid they would be disappointed in what they actually received.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,273
Points 35,215
Granny M replied on Tue, Aug 23 2011 6:54 PM

I hope to sell some quilts one of these days.  Like you, I know all those venues are there, but I just don't have enough quilts made up to take to them.  I think online one can post 1 or 2 for sale.  I am also putting a sign out front of my quilting house.

Granny M

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,139
Points 28,750
Wendy replied on Tue, Aug 23 2011 11:31 PM

Elgato,

I sell most of my quilts out of state. It is the only way I get money out of them.

I send mine to the Silverton Quilt show  in Silverton Colorado.  They hold it on the second weekend of September every year.  I send them  there by insured mail, with return postage in case they don't sell and they send me my money or return the quilts to me. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 6:30 PM

It is very hard to sell them. I have sold two quilts to friends mostly. I charged for materials and like maybe 40 in labor only. If you want to make more money you will probably have to do what Wendy does. I tried online and people like them but don't buy them.  I haven't tried craft shows I heard they suck for selling them from someone. I have tried giving biz cards to neighbours and people who I thought would be interested with natta.  Mostly as gifts and for myself now.  But one day would love to be able to do what Wendy is doing,

Wendy, when you send them in are they perfect with no mistakes? Do you do artistic quilts, or just general quilts? Can you share more information with us please.

Thanks,

Carey

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,658
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 5:46 AM

I have made quilts for people before for a price, but I didn't like doing it  I found it to be very stressful. Quilting is my enjoyment and it took the fun out of it.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 544
Points 3,805
Paula replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 6:09 AM

I never sell anything either, I charge for materials if someone I like A LOT wants something specific. I did alterations and sewed for the public for over 20 years and I discovered if you do it at home they don't want to pay you.I worked for a dry cleaners most of that time and no one had a problem with their pricing, I just picked it up and took it home. It's strange how people think your time is worth nothing...not to mention the cost of supplies!!!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 2:44 PM

Yeah, they think we have no other life or something and do it for fun and then try to sell them. I hate people who think that way with no respect for us. I do mostly for friends and family as gifts because I know they will appreciate them when I have the money.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 185
Smarty33 replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 6:45 AM

I feel the same way about sewing for others. I make clothing and I so enjoy many aspects of it that I feel are lost when someone orders what they want, in the colors they want. I feel the creative aspect is lost for me and then making the outfit feels more like a chore, I feel stressed over the time crunch, the quality needing to be perfect and it is just no fun that way. So, I am back to sewing just for myself. 

Oh, do I understand. LOL I'd rather be happy and relaxed than make an unhappy and stressed dollar.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 6:53 AM

I have never sold a quilt for money... However I do have a sister in law who owns a long arm.  She makes extra money by quilting other quilts.  She also embroiders messages on lapquilts and things that she readily has on hand in her new quilting room.  Over the last few years, she has made enough money to build a quilt room, as she calls it, where she quilts, and makes quilts.  Both for herself, and for hire.   She charges for everything she does......binding, quilting, embroidery, or even making one for them from scratch.....

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,349
Points 27,445
Elizabeth replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 10:44 AM

I too would like to sell quilts, but have not for all the above mentioned reasons.  I checked out etsy and t  here are so many quilts for sale!  Most of my quilts are gifts and have just started doing Quilts of valor.  Just bought a long arm and hope to get good enough to start a little business

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.