Do you quilt over large appliques?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,779 Posts
Points 122,400
Judy T-Bellingham posted on Sat, Aug 20 2011 5:27 PM

I'm qulting a lap quilt. The center section has several fairly good sized appliques. (one is 18" x 8" in size" I'm quilting around them but I'm wondering if I should do some kind of quilting inside the appliques? Is there  any recommendation that says if an appliques is over a certain size, it's a good idea to stitch inside it?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825

Judy, I was thinking about this just the other day. while I have no answer. I do share your question and look forward to finding the answer. If anyone can tell us, it is here.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

It depends on the type of batting you are using but if you have something as big as 18", I would try to find ways to enhance the applique through stitching if possible.  I think most batting you should stitch at least every 4-5" with something to tack the layers together.  I did a quilt for someone that had large sunbonnet sue's in blocks all over the quilt.  She just wanted a meander through it all so that's what I did.  She loved it.  So I would say it is up to you on what look you want but I would definitely do something.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
794 Posts
Points 12,820

Good question, Judy.  I'm too new at quilting to have an opinion on it with regard to making a quilt.  I did read on the batting package that it should be quilted about every 4 inches. 

When doing applique on t-shirts (with batting in the middle) I have not done any quilt stitching inside the large applique area; some larger than 4 inches across.  However, it had a permanent spray glue between the batting and the fabric on both sides of the batting when constructing it.  The t-shirts have been through the washer about a dozen times each on regular cycles and there is no separation. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,779 Posts
Points 122,400

Jeanine:

It depends on the type of batting you are using but if you have something as big as 18", I would try to find ways to enhance the applique through stitching if possible.  I think most batting you should stitch at least every 4-5" with something to tack the layers together.  .... I would say it is up to you on what look you want but I would definitely do something.

Thanks that makes sense. I'll run some stitches within the appliques.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,779 Posts
Points 122,400

Kath:

Good question, Judy.  I'm too new at quilting to have an opinion on it with regard to making a quilt.  I did read on the batting package that it should be quilted about every 4 inches. 

When doing applique on t-shirts (with batting in the middle) I have not done any quilt stitching inside the large applique area.....The t-shirts have been through the washer about a dozen times each on regular cycles and there is no separation. 

Thanks Kath, good point about the 4".  I'm not concerned about the appliques coming off as I've blanket stitched around each one. My concern was leaving too big an area and the layers bunching up when washed. I guess I'll go ahead and run some stitches within the inside of the appliques.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,779 Posts
Points 122,400

Kath:

..When doing applique on t-shirts (with batting in the middle) .... it had a permanent spray glue between the batting and the fabric on both sides of the batting when constructing it.  The t-shirts have been through the washer about a dozen times each on regular cycles and there is no separation. 

Kath, I find this interesting. I've never done appliques on a T-shirt and I would like to. So, what do you do? You glue batting on the back of the fabric and then cut it out in the shape you want? Do you then glue that to the Tshirt?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 7:03 PM

Judy

I have quilted over appliques in the past and they looked fine.  Good luck.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
32 Posts
Points 370
Edna replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 8:09 PM

Hi Judy:

Yes, I would do quilting inside the large areas of applique. Matching themed embroidery would be my suggestion. Edna

Quilt Salad Shop

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
gini replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 11:11 PM

i  quilt inside large applique.   you can use a pattern to enhance the design.  also, if you have closer quilting outside the applique,  that large a space will look funny unquilted and may even bulge up.   

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
794 Posts
Points 12,820

Judy, that's exactly how I've done it -- as you described.  First step is a sandwich -- batting on the bottom, applique fabric and then a paper design on the top.  Cut around the paper design on the top and then peel off the paper.  Put the applique and batting sandwich on the t-shirt and stitch around it.  

I've been using machine applique designs from Embroidery Library and they put a die line on the fabric first so you know where to place the applique sandwich.  Works like a charm. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use