Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today? #4

Page 274 of 391 (5853 items) « First ... < Previous 272 273 274 275 276 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5,852 Replies | 48 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:09 AM | Locked

Wow Gini!  It has turned out fantastic! great job!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,556
Points 51,395
Ginny replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:27 AM | Locked

Gini, this quilt is turning out fabulous.....Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,585
Points 47,630
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:32 AM | Locked

Hi Elaine,

So glad to hear you're on the mend.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,585
Points 47,630
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:34 AM | Locked

gini:

it is a quilt.  it isn't finished,  it needs a binding, the trees attached, more tulle laid down, more trees made to go over the  tulle, and a label.  but it's a quilt.  

It's an awesome quilt!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,556
Points 51,395
Ginny replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:37 AM | Locked

Elaine, Glad to have you back.  I'm sorry that you are still in pain.  I see you still have major restrictions holding you back.  Good luck with your therapy.  My shoulder has decided to behave itself so far, so I'm not certain when I might have surgery.  Time and pain will tell. Keep us informed how things are progressing....Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:40 AM | Locked

gini:

Gini, it's beautiful!  Much better than a photo!  Your friend will treasure this.  In addition to the wonderful details in the scene, I also love the border and the additional tree in the corner.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:53 AM | Locked

Elaine,

Glad U are back home and trying to follow Dr's orders.  I know it is hard, but please don't use that arm until he give U the okay!  If U are allowed Alleve is the quickest pain killer around and highly reccomended.  I'm on a blood thinner and that is what my Dr says I can safely use, I love it it lasts all day, even helps the arthiritis pains.

Back to quilt for great neice, plan of finishing the top today, it is taking more timle than I had figured.  Gues I had better plan on lots more time on the 3 other quilts also.  Learning lesson, do not stop in middle, keep going util at least the to is completed, yeah right!

Stay safe and let others do for U.  be agood patient and follow Dr orders, PLEASE!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 10:32 AM | Locked

Elaine Phillips:
I won't start therapy until January. The graft to the bone needs to heal first. Just doing mild ROM and no raising the arm above my waist level.

Elaine,  Those drugs are wonderful for the pain but do tend to make you sleepy.  Take advantage of the rest time while you can!

As long as you follow Dr's orders for now and do your therapy when the time comes, you will regain ROM and lose pain soon.  Most of the pain is from the bone.  I had my collar bones shortened to allow for more ROM and that was the source of most of my pain.  Sometimes therapy can make the impossible happen when you keep at it.  My Dr thought I would still have pain, never be able to raise my arm above my shoulder, and need shoulder replacement in the future.  I surprised him - no pain so far - 3 years - and full range of motion.  My damage was so bad that I have little strength and can't grip anything over my head or I drop it, but the arm is functional and doesn't interfere with quilting unless I stretch it out too much while folding fabric. That is the only time I have any pain and fatigue in the arm - lots better than predictions!

Best of luck to you and you will be "back in the quilting saddle" soon!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 10:56 AM | Locked

Hope to finally get that quilt that is missing 2 seams finished today (just the top!).  Rich has "excaped" with substitute trucker today.  He has been antsy to get out even though he has been home only since Monday.  It is quite snowy out there, but he did quite well with the walker - barely hits the ground with it but at least it is there to catch him if needed.  Some people are so lucky - new hip only 1 1/2 weeks old and he can walk without any walker, but gets yelled at by me for taking the chance!  One man in the room across from him at the hospital went home one day, fell, broke other hip, and was back in the same room later that day.  They just screwed that hip together for now because Dr. didn't want to replace other hip so soon.  Said screws would probably hold for years.  Rich has this to remember when he gets too adventurous! 

Silence will be welcomed.  Will finish quilt top after I eat since it is nearly noon.  Will post picture here as well as on AQS, where the mystery has been done.  Others here have also done that quilt and FINISHED!  Their quilts are posted here also. 

Have other quilts to quilt and bind, so won't start Bonnies's quilt or DWR until after the first of the year, or later if I don't get these wheelchair quilts done!  That project has been hanging in the wings too long!  It is one BIG UFO - about 20 or so quilts - around 36" x 42" or slightly larger.  Want to practice FMQ on them but waiting for quilting foot for my machine.  These electronic machines don't keep the old darning foot up - and I have many of them.  I need a simple machine with the presser foot lever that we used to leave up for darning.  Hope the foot fits when it gets here - I have a Viking Quilt Designer II but without the quilt package - couldn't afford the extra expense at the time and it is not available now.  A short shank is supposed to fit - hope it does!  Todays quilting will be with walking foot.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,591
Points 75,975
Karla replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:27 AM | Locked

Am trying to quilt DSIL's ugly quilt, but thread keeps breaking....darn, darn, darn!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:30 AM | Locked

gini:

it is a quilt.  it isn't finished,  it needs a binding, the trees attached, more tulle laid down, more trees made to go over the  tulle, and a label.  but it's a quilt.  

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!  You should be very proud.       How did you use the tulle?  I've heard of using it to thread paint on (like a stabilizer) but have not seen it done.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:42 AM | Locked

thanks everyone for you comments,  this has been harder than i thought, but fun at the same time.     maggie,some of the shadowing on the grass is tulle.   i am going to put it over the hills on the right and center, and over those bright trees to dull them a little

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,480
Points 244,347
Thea replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:50 AM | Locked

Karla:

Am trying to quilt DSIL's ugly quilt, but thread keeps breaking....darn, darn, darn!

Karla - when this happens to me - 

1) check needle - I first will take an emory board to the sides to get rid of any burrs - if this doesn't help and thread continues to break - I change needle...

2) check to make sure your bobbin thread is wound tightly enough - sometimes no matter how hard we try the bobbin just does not wind properly - try rewinding the thread to a different bobbin holder

3) check tension on bobbin and upper thread

4) check thread to make sure it is going through correctly - sometimes - and I don't know why - you have to change the way the thread is on the spindle - turn it upside down or put it on a thread thingie that allows it to flow out...

5) clean machine very carefully

6) change thread you are using - sometimes no matter what we do a spool of thread is the problem - the same color on another spool might work fine - when I find this happening I will wind thread onto a bobbin and use that up top so that I can use that spool of thread up - can't waste anything...

and if all else fails - turn the machine off - take a walk - do some cleaning - watch a movie - and then come back to it... before you come back though - tell those little sneaky people that you are aware of the tricks they are playing and you don't appreciate it and they have till you turn the machine back on to get out of your house...

Good luck!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:50 AM | Locked

Gini, you are so creative,  I should start a memo book of some kind with all of the creative ideas I get from you all.     OH NO  Another Project I want on my bucket list.  LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:55 AM | Locked

Thea thanks for all the great tips ,I have this problem occasionally myself and it can be really frustrating . I'm gonna but this in my favorites to keep for reference.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 274 of 391 (5853 items) « First ... < Previous 272 273 274 275 276 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use